RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2007, 05:35 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
The lens that covers the bulb on my rig fell off. Newmar sent me a new headlight as the units are sealed it is not recommended that you take them apart.

So, when I got the new one I got ready to remove the old one. Oooops, Houston we have a problem. It seems there is a special tool needed to remove the plastic retainers (nuts for a better choice of words). Does anyone know what it is called and when to obtain one. The dealer tech does have one and the parts gal is got a call into Newmar.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2007, 05:35 AM   #2

The lens that covers the bulb on my rig fell off. Newmar sent me a new headlight as the units are sealed it is not recommended that you take them apart.

So, when I got the new one I got ready to remove the old one. Oooops, Houston we have a problem. It seems there is a special tool needed to remove the plastic retainers (nuts for a better choice of words). Does anyone know what it is called and when to obtain one. The dealer tech does have one and the parts gal is got a call into Newmar.

Old 01-02-2007, 04:44 PM   #3

Hummm nobody has any ideas huh? Maybe a couple of photos will help.

The loose lens!

The nut/fastener that has to be removed. Ther are backing clips that fit in the slot (the new ones are in the little plastic bag) Note - you probably will need to hold the thread part as it can turn.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:16 AM   #4

Here is an update.... You going to love the answer from Newmar!

1) In aticipation of going Quartzsite and not getting the new headlight installed I fixed the old one. I used a parts grabber (Harbor Freight) to retrieve the lens (remove the light and reached in from the back) and get it started in
mounting bracket. Next I fab'd a tool out of piece of welding rod to pull it back in the mounting bracket. But, it was not completely seated. So, I drilled a hole in the lens and use awl to push it all the into the mounting bracket. I sealed the hole with clear silicone.

2) Called the dealer and asked them how to do the install. No help,as the tech had not ever had to do one like mine. They will call Newmar and get back to me. 2 weeks pass.

3) I call Newmar because I figure the dealer has not heard back. CS has no clue. I told them I would email him the photos and maybe could get me an answer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My question:
As per our phone conversation I am sending the photos pf the headlight. I need to know the correct way to R&R this headlight and what special tool is used to loosen/tighten the plastic retainers.

I have also included the photo of the broken bedroom slide limit rod and how to fix it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Newmar's question to the techs:
Steve,
Do you have any special tools you guys use to install the headlights? The customer is having trouble installing them. Any info you can give me would be great and thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Steve's reply:
NO SPECIAL TOOLS PER THE SERVICE TECHS, JUST A SCREW GUN AND A AIR RATCHET IF NEEDED. THAT WOULD BE IT. THANKS
STEVEN. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Newmar's reply to me:
Dale,
I checked with our techs and they do not have any special tools they use to install the headlights. They use a screw gun and screw driver that would be it. Just to keep working at it and do not force the issue so you don't break it. IF you need any other questions answered let me know and have a nice day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you kidding me.... A screw gun and an air ratchet?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My reply to Newmar and CC to the Dealer:
A screw gun.... Jordan, it is obvious that somebody did even look at the picture. There is no way that a screw gun would work. Now an air ratchet maybe... But, it would require a special bit. Somebody needs to get off their butt and go out to the line, take the photo with them, and see how it is done. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Standby Newmar just called.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:30 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
That ago Dale they must have a fixed butt like on a butt dino.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:08 PM   #6

Update #2

After I spoke with the Newmar CS person it seems that the headlight bucket was suppose to be mounted in an aluminum shell and the shell was attached to the fiberglass with screws (use the screw gun). Mine isn't.

So, if you have an 03/04 KS or MA gas check to see how your headlights are mounted.

I took some more photos to send to Newmar. So, standby - film at 11.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:14 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dale, checked mine 03 coach with 02 chassis, completely different than yours all those screw mounts are just screw to a fiber glass houseing on the front cap its all premolded. The screw nuts are different than yours also no slots but a locking clip on nut to keep in place.
They must have changed the way they mounted headlite in late 03.
Will post pic tommorow.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:44 PM   #8

Dale

I've also got an '04 Mountain Aire 3651 and I'm curious when yours was built. Mine was ordered in July of '03 and I picked it up in September of '03.
It's in storage right now so I can't check it, but I'd appreciate it if you could tell me when your build date was.

Thanks

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:51 PM   #9

Mine is a Dec 03 chassis and delivered in Apr 04.

I will post a photo of the back of the headlight mounting as soon as it is approved.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:40 PM   #10

Thanks Dale, I'll watch for the picture of the backside.

Jack

Old 01-20-2007, 05:34 AM   #11

Here is the back side of the headlight mounting.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:15 AM   #12

Thanks Dale. You've sparked my interest and I just may have to run out to my storage building this afternoon and take a look.

Thanks Again

Jack

Old 01-20-2007, 04:39 PM   #13

Dale

I went out and looked at my MACA this afternoon and thought you might like to know that you're not alone. Mine is exactly the same as yours.
Thanks again for the pictures.

Jack

Old 01-23-2007, 01:07 PM   #14

I think I have figured out how to remove the headlight bucket. I have been looking at the photos I took and realized that I have been looking at the problem from the wrong direction.

The plastic nut has a flange that rests against the front side of the fiber glass. The retaining clip keeps the plastic nut from slipping back through the hole and the retaining nut stops (as I call them) hold the nut from turning. Adjustments to aim the headlight are done by turning the metal stud, not the plastic retaining nut.

My assumptions were confirmed by Newmar Customer Service yesterday.

So to R&R the headlight:
1) Before I removed the headlight I turned the headlights on and put a couple of pieces of tape on the garage door for reference.
2) Disconnect the wiring to the headlight and clearance light, next release/bend the retaining nut stops and pull the retaining clip loose.
NOTE - I suspect that these retaining clips are a "one use only" clip.
3) Now you can remove headlight.
4) Before you install the new headlight you will want to pre-adjust the distance of the plastic retaining nuts using the old headlight as a guide.
5) Install headlight and slide the retaining clips into the slot on the plastic retaining nut.
6) Reconnect the wiring and turn on the headlights. Adjust the headlight to the reference points done in step 1.

OBTW - The headlight and side markers are from a 98-02 Mercury Grand Marquis.
Pass Side HL YW3Z-13008-AA
Driver Side HL YW3Z-13008-AB
Pass Side CL XW3Z-15A201-AB
Driver Side CL XW3Z-15A201-BB

Hummmmmm Ford parts on a Chevy...