RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2019, 09:28 AM   #1

Heat from the furnace to the storage bays

I have read quite a few posts from Newmar owners of diesel coaches that they have vents into the storage bays to allow some heat to be channeled down there during cold weather. We are heading out tomorrow in our 2014 Bay Star 3103, and while I have no doubt that we will be toasty inside the coach during the upcoming arctic blast, I would feel better if I could verify that the same type of warm air exchange happens on the Bay Star, provided that we run the furnace at night. With expected overnight temps in low 20s, I'm sure the heat pumps will need help from the furnace to keep us warm.

BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2019, 09:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
I have read quite a few posts from Newmar owners of diesel coaches that they have vents into the storage bays to allow some heat to be channeled down there during cold weather. We are heading out tomorrow in our 2014 Bay Star 3103, and while I have no doubt that we will be toasty inside the coach during the upcoming arctic blast, I would feel better if I could verify that the same type of warm air exchange happens on the Bay Star, provided that we run the furnace at night. With expected overnight temps in low 20s, I'm sure the heat pumps will need help from the furnace to keep us warm.
Yep the HP will stop working below 32 degrees. You can turn them off.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:51 AM   #3

My NADP does NOT have basement heat - so it must vary by model and year. However, it has to get very cold out (like 10 or less) for the basement to hit freezing while I知 occupying the coach - due to floor heat and adjacent heat from wet bay and the oasis itself.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:34 PM   #4

The furnace does vent into the storage compartments on our Bay Star. I have a remote temperature sensor down by the water pump and if we run the furnace, I can see the temperature rise.

That being said, it has to be pretty cold at night to cause issues. We've recently had temps drop into the mid 20's at night and the bays never got below 40 degrees. As long as the daytime temps get up into the 50's and night time temps stays in the mid 20's, I doubt you even need the furnace.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:29 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi BPoland,
Heat pumps do not heat the basement. Heat pumps do not work or work well under 45 degrees. If your heat pumps are going into defrost mode it is time to switch to the furnace. Defrost mode is when you can hear the unit running but the fan is not running. For me, I switch to furnace when the temp is around 50 degrees. Why make the heat pumps struggle?

There should be a duct in the utility bay for heating the utility bay. When the furnace is running furnace air will blow through this duct just like the other ducts. Right now it is 15 degrees outside with minimal wind. My utility bay is 48 degrees (remote thermometer). The coach is set to 75 degrees.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:52 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Interesting enough, in Northern Virginia we are experiencing the same cold and I have a trip next week to Nashville so I didn't want to winterize. I monitor the wetbay and interior temperatures (and refrigerator for that matter) with SensorPush sensors and obviously followed them closely the past two days.

I have the furnace on in Zone 1 (the only furnace) set at 45 degrees. The interior temperature varied between 45 - 47 degrees all night, while the wet bay slowly dropped to ultimately a low of 30.7 for all of about 90 minutes. Our ambient low outside was roughly 25 degrees. I did notice that each time the furnace ran, the wet bay temperature increased between a half to a full degree, but that didn't completely offset the gradual drop.

Long term, if it were to get much colder for a longer stretch I would setup the personal heater in the wet bay that I use with a Thermacube. But it looks like since this is a short spell and we are leaving next week, I should be ok as is. I did by-pass and drain the hot water heater and opened the low point drains to get unnecessary water out of the coach.

Bill
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:23 AM   #7

Thanks for the information guys. We are leaving this morning. My plan is simple. I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer and I’m gooimg to run the outdoor sensor into the wet bay. At night I will switch to the furnace and onboard water/pump. I will turn off the outside water and drain the hose. That part is the biggest hassle. Overnight lows expected to get to 23. Water tank is full and so is the propane and we’ll have 50 amp service. After this trip, she gets cleaned, drained and put in hibernation till March. I don’t have to winterize her completely. That’s one of the benefits of indoor storage. It won’t get below 48 degrees.

Thanks again.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:47 AM   #8

If you run the furnace, you won't have problems as there will be more than enough heat in the water bay. I've hooked up a couple of electric heaters with thermacubes but when we traveled to Florida last winter in some mid to low teen temps, the temps in the water compartments stayed well above freezing. A couple of weeks ago, I was winterizing our Bay Star and had the propane furnace running. I opened the bay where the fresh water tank is located and I could feel the heat in the compartment (outside air temp was in low 40s).
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:03 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Just got back yesterday from a trip to Green Bay. Needless to say it was COLD. Got to to single digits a few nights. Kept to setting on the water bay heater on 50+ and it never went below 44 at night. Ran on the diesel burner on the furnace over night boondocking and all ended well in the am. When I was connected to 20amp ran a heater in water bay just to assist(3 of the 7 nights).
Old 11-14-2019, 02:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Yep the HP will stop working below 32 degrees. You can turn them off.
If his is like mine DO NOT TURN HP OFF as the heat pump will automatically switch on the furnace when it detects the outside temp is at 32. The flip side is that when warms up outside the furnace turns off and the HP starts again. Plus when the HP is running it removes the moisture inside the mh.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:17 AM   #11

Can anybody confirm that this does happen? If the HP is left on (not the furnace) it will automatically switch to furnace when the outside temp drops below a certain point? I知 mainly concerned about the basement freezing. I have never heard of this before.

I know that it would be best to leave the furnace on low, but I知 just curious.

2017 Dutch Star 4018
Old 11-15-2019, 08:25 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperado13 View Post
Can anybody confirm that this does happen? If the HP is left on (not the furnace) it will automatically switch to furnace when the outside temp drops below a certain point? I知 mainly concerned about the basement freezing. I have never heard of this before.

I know that it would be best to leave the furnace on low, but I知 just curious.

2017 Dutch Star 4018
I know my Canyon Star didn't have that feature and I don't believe my DS does either. I believe you have to manually make the switch. My bay heating in the DS is activated by a Heat switch in the mid ships bathroom.... at least that's what I was told when I purchased it and there is a button that says HEAT.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:34 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heat from the furnace to the storage bays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McMartin View Post
The furnace does vent into the storage compartments on our Bay Star. I have a remote temperature sensor down by the water pump and if we run the furnace, I can see the temperature rise.

That being said, it has to be pretty cold at night to cause issues. We've recently had temps drop into the mid 20's at night and the bays never got below 40 degrees. As long as the daytime temps get up into the 50's and night time temps stays in the mid 20's, I doubt you even need the furnace.

Is there a vent or is the heat radiating from the duct under the floor? I know my furnace and tank heaters warm the basement but I haven稚 found any direct vent. 2017 3113

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:16 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
My 04 Mountain aire has a switch in the wet bay that turns on a blower that blows heat in through a duct from the furnace. We had low 20's the other night and the blower did not work. The wet bay stayed at 34 degrees. Today I found a blown fuse under the refrigerator next to the furnace and the fan now works. Real toasty now.

Tags
ace, furnace, heat, storage