Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2017, 12:26 PM   #1

Heat mitigation when facing into the sun?

There are times when I have no other choice but to have the motorhome facing into the sun ..... south or southwest exposure or some other such thing.

I have a Magna shade and find it does provide some relief in those situations. It may result in a 5 to 10 degree heat reduction as compared to no magna shade and just using the inside shade in the MH.

Does anyone use some other product that is better? and renders little or zero heat gain when the full sun is blasting the front ???

regards

rich

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2017, 02:55 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Whether it is Magne Shades or other high quality exterior shades, you won't find another product that does much better if at all. The only other thing would be to have trees to stop/reduce the sunlight hitting the windshield in the first place.

If you use a fan to circulate air from the cooler parts of the coach up front it might be of help for general comfort. Other than that, I'm not sure of anything else you can do.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:39 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Unless you get a sun blocking shade, heat will always be a problem. This type of shade will make a considerable difference, however it will darken the interior, like a total eclipse.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-45167-S.../dp/B001D9E41I

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by patch-y View Post
There are times when I have no other choice but to have the motorhome facing into the sun ..... south or southwest exposure or some other such thing.

I have a Magna shade and find it does provide some relief in those situations. It may result in a 5 to 10 degree heat reduction as compared to no magna shade and just using the inside shade in the MH.

Does anyone use some other product that is better? and renders little or zero heat gain when the full sun is blasting the front ???

regards

rich
A roll of Reflectix, available in Building Materials aisle at Lowes or HomeDepot .... cut to fit windshield. 10 degree drop at minimum.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:51 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Heat mitigation when facing into the sun?

Buy a roll of Reflectix and cut it to size
https://www.reflectixinc.com/. Sold at Lowes and HD
Old 08-23-2017, 03:51 PM   #6

We were in Las Vegas 3 years ago and it was 115. The ACs could not keep up. I saw other MHs had Reflectex, aka shiny bubble wrap stuff, in the front window. We went to Home Depot and bought a roll that would cover the side windows and windshield. I cut a single piece that covered the side windows and windshield. Next day the ACs had no trouble keeping up. I now have it cut for all windows in the MH and install them as needed. Also have the Magna Shade, most of the time that is all I need for the windshield.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcolorado View Post
We were in Las Vegas 3 years ago and it was 115. The ACs could not keep up. I saw other MHs had Reflectex, aka shiny bubble wrap stuff, in the front window. We went to Home Depot and bought a roll that would cover the side windows and windshield. I cut a single piece that covered the side windows and windshield. Next day the ACs had no trouble keeping up. I now have it cut for all windows in the MH and install them as needed. Also have the Magna Shade, most of the time that is all I need for the windshield.
Same here. For the Reflectix, I use small suction cups that has hooks attached (also from Home Depot or Lowes). Punched some small holes in appropriate locations at top of Reflectix and circled the holes with a magic marker (so I can find the holes again). The Reflectix hangs from the hooks/suction cups (attached to glass) and keeps it close to the windshield so the curtain can pass without catching.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:00 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Ok sold on this but is it installed inside or outside.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrick3 View Post
I install mine on the inside.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 03:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrick3 View Post
Inside ... and keep the Reflectix as close to the glass as possible.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:04 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Don't know if it would work, but I would try to put the reflectix on the out side with the magna shade over it to hold in place.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Same here. For the Reflectix, I use small suction cups that has hooks attached (also from Home Depot or Lowes). Punched some small holes in appropriate locations at top of Reflectix and circled the holes with a magic marker (so I can find the holes again). The Reflectix hangs from the hooks/suction cups (attached to glass) and keeps it close to the windshield so the curtain can pass without catching.
How else do folks install the reflectix so it stays up...suction cups is one..any other simple solutions?
Old 08-27-2017, 09:08 AM   #13

The aluminum bubble material really works, but here's how not to attach it: Buy self-adhesive strips of Velcro and line all edges so they attach to Velcro strips running all around the windshield. The sunshine heat between the windshield and sun screen melts the adhesive and makes a terrible mess. I now just cut the bubble wrap slightly larger than the opening and let friction hold it in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Oh View Post
How else do folks install the reflectix so it stays up...suction cups is one..any other simple solutions?
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:39 PM   #14

The Reflectix will difinitely work better if installed on the outside of the windows.

Tags
heat