Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2018, 06:22 PM   #1

Heat Pump A/C's or Regular A/C's?

Putting together the options list for our Canyon Star.

What's the consensus on the 13.5 heat pump AC's vs. the standard 13.5 A/C's? Worth the rather small charge for the upgrade to heat pumps?

How much of an issue is the heat pumps not getting warm air down to the near floor area due to the ceiling vent locations?
Pikkleballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2018, 06:35 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We felt it was worth it. Unless on metered electric, might as well let someone else pay for heat. You might also consider as a special upgrading the front or both units to 15k. There’s a lot of glass up front and subsequent area to heat or cool.

We don’t notice any issues with heat not getting circulated towards the floor. Once below 37 - 40 degrees we use the furnace anyway.
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:48 PM   #3

Heat Pumps vs AC

We have 2 heat pumps on a 2012 Ventana that we ordered new. To date, we've had to replace a total of 8 of them. Sounds ridiculous, but it's true. Every one of them have been replaced under warranty without question. Dometic has a 2 year warranty; thank goodness for that. Replace the last one right after Xmas and it's still working fine. Heat pumps seem to take a little longer to warm up the coach but they are much quieter than the furnace. We usually just use the furnace to get the coach up to temp, then use the heat pumps to maintain. Good luck, either way you go they're probably made in China. Be sure to give them a good workout to be sure they will hang in.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:56 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Both our DSDP's had the heat pumps. Here in the NW a lot if the houses do to as it's the cheapest way to heat.
Present rig has 3 15kw heat pumps, but I also have an AquaHot and heated floors. I prefer the floor heat and AquaHot.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:00 PM   #5

I like my 13,500 heat pumps and they keep my Canyon Star warm and they are more powerful than electric heat towers. But like the previous poster said I have had three replaced 2 front and 1 rear. All under warranty. The last one came directly from the Domedic head quarters. My rear has been working for almost 2 years and the front for 4 months we will see. But I still like the idea of the heat pumps.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:18 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Definitely heat pumps. We use them whenever possible instead of propane furnace. Cheaper to operate - if CG electric is included. Effective to about 40 degrees.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:18 PM   #7

Although somewhat on topic with heating the coach what do you guys think about the fireplace option as a heat source?

I know it is electric too but I believe there isn't that 40 degree cutoff like the heat pumps. Not sure how much heat comes out and whether or not it really heats the coach without the furnace on but I don't really know. Anyone use the fireplace for heating the coach as opposed to the heat pumps or furnace or as a supplement to either one?

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:38 PM   #8

My AC guy tells me that the reason RV heat pumps act up is because they dont get used enough, especially in heat mode, so the reversing valves freeze up. Since I’ve got both of mine working well now, I like them.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:09 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We don't use ours a lot because we live out west and just don't have a need for them. We also find them noisy. With that said, they work well for heating overnight. When we do use ours, we'll turn the front on when we're in bed and let the warm air migrate to the bedroom. We find that is much better than the heater blasting you in the bedroom. When watching TV up front we'll turn on the bedroom heat pump to keep the noise down.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:44 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
Although somewhat on topic with heating the coach what do you guys think about the fireplace option as a heat source?

I know it is electric too but I believe there isn't that 40 degree cutoff like the heat pumps. Not sure how much heat comes out and whether or not it really heats the coach without the furnace on but I don't really know. Anyone use the fireplace for heating the coach as opposed to the heat pumps or furnace or as a supplement to either one?
The fireplace is a electric resistive space heater. And as such not subject to temperature limitation of a heat pump. Yes, use it as supplemental heat or only heat in mild cold.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:04 AM   #11

Carolina Campers
I have been using my heat pumps this whole week in Florida where it has been in the low forties. I found they heat better than the propane furnace. I love them.
djtommysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikkleballer View Post
Putting together the options list for our Canyon Star.

What's the consensus on the 13.5 heat pump AC's vs. the standard 13.5 A/C's? Worth the rather small charge for the upgrade to heat pumps?

How much of an issue is the heat pumps not getting warm air down to the near floor area due to the ceiling vent locations?
I opted to go with the 15k heat pumps special order, front and rear on my 3710 canyon star. Figured get as much cooling as possible due to all that glass out front. No such thing as too much!

Marc
Old 01-09-2018, 05:10 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post

We have the electric fireplace in our CSCA and it is good for a supplemental heat source. Still need furnace or heat pumps to provide heat for the entire coach. Our fireplace also shuts down after some use as a safety feature.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:45 AM   #14

Thanks for the information on the fire place.

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heat pump