Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2014, 09:54 AM   #1

Heat Pump Problem

We're having a problem with the front heat pump failing to start and when it does start, trips the breaker after a minute or so. Its a 15K Penguin with Comfort Control Center 2

Usually it fails to start at all. Once the compressor delay times out, it will buzz for a few seconds and then nothing.

By turning off all the other AC on the coach, the unit will start but then trips the breaker. You can watch the PCS monitor and see that it is pulling >50A off the line.

Any ideas for troubleshooting I can do?
kamakalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2014, 10:21 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakalama View Post
We're having a problem with the front heat pump failing to start and when it does start, trips the breaker after a minute or so. Its a 15K Penguin with Comfort Control Center 2

Usually it fails to start at all. Once the compressor delay times out, it will buzz for a few seconds and then nothing.

By turning off all the other AC on the coach, the unit will start but then trips the breaker. You can watch the PCS monitor and see that it is pulling >50A off the line.

Any ideas for troubleshooting I can do?
Jeff I think your Ventana and ours both went down the assembly line this past October. We have had the exact same symptoms with both units on the roof. Compressors shutting down and breakers tripping. We have the same 15K Penguins. We returned to the dealer after the first failure and after spotting oil on the roof, they ordered a replacement. Two weeks ago the second one failed and a new one was installed yesterday.

We were at the Tampa RV show yesterday and I spoke to a Dometic representative. He told me that a significant number of these units started to fail about a year ago. He states the problem was/is caused by the assemble factory in China substituting a less expensive solder then the Dometic specs called for. He claims that all of the "bad spec" units are gone and are being replaced by updated units. Apparently, they allowed coach manufactures to go through their inventory rather than recall the defective units.

My dealer confirmed that updated Dometics are now on the coach. The first one replaced (rear) has had no issues to date, I pick up the coach tomorrow with the new front unit and will be heading out Sunday for a few days, so we'll see how it works.

I hope this helps, I think we both had defective units installed that week.

Jim
TwoCorners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #3

Thanks for the info Jim. I emailed a link to my dealer so he could read too. Going to check the roof this morning for signs of leakage.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:47 PM   #4

We have a 2014 Ventana that was delivered on August the 2nd and have had no problems with the heat pumps yet. Did the rep say when the bad units where delivered and is the problem happening in both a/c and heat mode? Has anyone contacted Newmar to confirm the bad units?
David D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:00 PM   #5

We have a 2013 Ventana 4369 and our middle unit had to be replaced with the same problem. We purchased our unit March 2013.

SOLD 2013 Newmar Ventana 4346
msy4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by David D. View Post
We have a 2014 Ventana that was delivered on August the 2nd and have had no problems with the heat pumps yet. Did the rep say when the bad units where delivered and is the problem happening in both a/c and heat mode? Has anyone contacted Newmar to confirm the bad units?
The Dometic rep told me they became aware of the issue about a year ago. On my two failed units, the first one was in AC mode when it failed, the second one failed when the heat pump was on.

While I was at the Tampa RV show, I also asked a Newmar factory rep if he was aware of this issue, he said he was not. He did tell me however, that he is in the sales end at Nappanee and wouldn't normally be aware of service or parts issues.

Jim
Old 01-16-2014, 10:13 PM   #7

Jim

I can't believe the Dometic rep would make that statement. I am not saying I don't believe you at all. I am just saying how damaging that action they took as a manufacter to not recall the units that were at the Coach manufacter, that had yet to be installed, knowing the fact that the units were defective. If I were Newmar or a Winnebago and learned that Dometic had in fact known that they had defective units sitting in inventory and let them be installed, without recalling and replacing them, I would be furious. Not to mention the financially liability. I wonder what Newmar says about this ? I know my Dutchstar came out of production last week and I am damm certain I am going to make sure they didn't put a defective unit on my coach. If they did, I will insist the units are replaced before taking delivery. Thanks for sharing this information. i am sure by doing so, you have helped others. Afterall, the money we are paying for these new coaches, these are the types of manufacture (Dometic) decisions (knowingly fail to recall defective units sitting in Coach builders inventory) that hurt the industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCorners View Post
Jeff I think your Ventana and ours both went down the assembly line this past October. We have had the exact same symptoms with both units on the roof. Compressors shutting down and breakers tripping. We have the same 15K Penguins. We returned to the dealer after the first failure and after spotting oil on the roof, they ordered a replacement. Two weeks ago the second one failed and a new one was installed yesterday.

We were at the Tampa RV show yesterday and I spoke to a Dometic representative. He told me that a significant number of these units started to fail about a year ago. He states the problem was/is caused by the assemble factory in China substituting a less expensive solder then the Dometic specs called for. He claims that all of the "bad spec" units are gone and are being replaced by updated units. Apparently, they allowed coach manufactures to go through their inventory rather than recall the defective units.

My dealer confirmed that updated Dometics are now on the coach. The first one replaced (rear) has had no issues to date, I pick up the coach tomorrow with the new front unit and will be heading out Sunday for a few days, so we'll see how it works.

I hope this helps, I think we both had defective units installed that week.

Jim
Jeffreys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:22 PM   #8

My dealer told me today that he will be contacting Newmar about the issue. I'll post an update when I hear something.

Meanwhile, the Oasis is noisily doing the job.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:04 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffreys View Post
Jim

I can't believe the Dometic rep would make that statement. I am not saying I don't believe you at all. I am just saying how damaging that action they took as a manufacter to not recall the units that were at the Coach manufacter, that had yet to be installed, knowing the fact that the units were defective. If I were Newmar or a Winnebago and learned that Dometic had in fact known that they had defective units sitting in inventory and let them be installed, without recalling and replacing them, I would be furious. Not to mention the financially liability. I wonder what Newmar says about this ? I know my Dutchstar came out of production last week and I am damm certain I am going to make sure they didn't put a defective unit on my coach. If they did, I will insist the units are replaced before taking delivery. Thanks for sharing this information. i am sure by doing so, you have helped others. Afterall, the money we are paying for these new coaches, these are the types of manufacture (Dometic) decisions (knowingly fail to recall defective units sitting in Coach builders inventory) that hurt the industry.
Hi Jeff,
I spoke with Steve at Newmar customer service this morning. He called me, checking on how the second replacement unit was doing. I passed on to him my conservation with the Dometic rep. He stated that he was not aware of this issue. He qualified it by saying he doesn't know if anyone else at Newmar may have been aware, but he, in customer service, was not. He said he was gong to pass the information up through his chain.

Jim

Tags
heat pump