RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #1

Heat Pumps

I'm out on my first extended trip in a new Ventana and learning the many systems. I've been using the furnace on cool mornings (even in Phoenix!) and I'm a little confused about the Heat Pump setting on the thermostat. I haven't found information in the owner's manual or a good thread on this site. I'm wondering when and why I would use the "HP" mode rather than "furnace" or "cool."

Gary

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The heat pump is a function of the air conditioner, same as in a stick and brick. We do not use the heat pump as the compressor kicking on and off seem to wake us up at night. We instead use space heaters which we like better.

burfurd

Old 04-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
If electric is included in your site cost then you will have the option of using the heat pump(s) in lew of propane/diesel without added cost. As stated earlier small ceramic heaters do the same job, are quieter, and are useable when the ambient outside temp is below 38ish. Heat pumps are simply running the A/C's backwards to put the heat in vs out and are not efficient or should not be run below 33-40f ish. Note- some A/C heat pumps are simply a electric heat strip in the path of the A/C fan using the thermostat to control which can be run below freezing. You will want to determine which version of "heat pump/strip" you have.

The catch 22 is the heat pumps will not provide heat to the wet bay (when below freezing) so then the options are furnace/diesel or electric tank heat pad or light bulb or small electric heater in the wet bay.

We are comfortable with 2 good quality 1500w small ceramic heaters with tip over and over temperature sensors in the coach and a 200w similar heater in the wet bay when 50 amps are included at the site and its 15deg f outside. We only use the furnace when dry camping.

We don't have children or pets which could be a concern with each option.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #4

One caveat on space heaters: Be aware of the total load.

See my previous post Our coach tried to kill the dog...

Our whole chassis was at 120V

This was caused by space heaters used during freezing conditions. Was trying to avoid using LPG as we were getting low.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #5

I probably should have mentioned that I have an all electric coach with Aqua Heat that runs on either elect. or diesel. So it sounds like the Heat Pump is redundant and probably not something I would typically use.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your answer is more than likely is going to be found in a QT, 1 & 2 in this case.
This PDF found there, will have your HP information in section "B".
All other things mentioned is there also.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Like posted earlier, using the heat pumps, when electric is included in the cost of your site needs, to be given consideration. The heat pumps will keep you toasty warm in temps down to the low 40s. And this is at no additional fuel cost to you.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #8

Thank you all for the responses and manufacturer's link. I'll try out the heat pump and see what I think. The Aqua Heat can also run on just electric so it's also free. I'm wondering if others with both options find that the heat pump is more efficient, more quiet, or has any other advantages over the Aqua Heat.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert66 View Post
Note- some A/C heat pumps are simply a electric heat strip in the path of the A/C fan using the thermostat to control which can be run below freezing. You will want to determine which version of "heat pump/strip" you have.
The definition of a heat pump is an AC that also supplies heat by means of a reversing valve. The heating coils that some air cons come with do not fit that definition and no heat pump can be fitted with the heating coils.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Generalizing, thanks for the clarification.