Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2016, 03:39 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Heated Floors...what to expect?

When heated floors turned on, whether low, med, high setting, it takes hours to get mildly warm, and is spotty at best...only heating certain tiles.

We left them on all last night (medium) in LR, BR and rear bath. Again tiles were luke warm. What can we expect with these floors? How long should it take to heat??? What are we doing wrong...only info on these floor was the installing diagrams in the big Newmar bag.

I've read some posts that the high setting was wicked hot! We didn't buy any scatter rugs cause I read the backing on them would burn..I highly doubt it with these floors.

I always hear a clicking noise when hitting the control in the rear bath ....appears to come from the washer/dryer direction.

I know it obviously not in the slides, cockpit or over the engine cover in rear bath.

Thx. For any input on the operation of such a simple thing!!!

BTW...whose great idea at Newmar was to put the toilet papaer holder up against your elbow in the half bath...I keep wacking my arm!!!!
Bowl300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2016, 04:16 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Mine seem to heat up in about 15 minutes and on either very warm I like it, but they're very warm to walk on in bare feet. The front seems to be the coolest of the three
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 04:38 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We just came back from a trip to Capitol Reef and Zion NP. Nights were cold - all the way below 32F. All we needed during the night was the floor heat. We had the front at Medium and the Bedroom and Bath at Low. We would wake up to toasty 74F.

The floor heat is one of our favorite features. Yes, it takes some time for the tiles to get warm - probably close to 30 minutes maybe even 45.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 05:51 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
The floor heat runs through those two gfi circuit breakers in the half bath. I had a bad one. It was blinking red, replaced it. Just a thought. Heated floors is one of my favorite features too. As carefree says, usually can heat with them alone.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:49 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
The floor heat runs through those two gfi circuit breakers in the half bath. I had a bad one. It was blinking red, replaced it. Just a thought. Heated floors is one of my favorite features too. As carefree says, usually can heat with them alone.
There are 2 circuits next to the big circuit board in half bath that are blinking green.

Is there something else i should be doing other than pressing the button for heated floor and placing on low-med-or high? Burner button is on for oasis, although i thought these were electric control.

It takes hours not 30 minutes on any temp to get few tiles barely warm... there is no difference between the temps.... let alone provide heat to coach.

We are not understanding how these floors work...
Old 11-20-2016, 11:21 PM   #6

What you are describing is similar to an issue we had with our heated floors. You may have a programing problem. I would suggest you contact Newmar and describe your issue. If it is in fact a programing issue they can forward the re-programing procedure to your dealer. After Newmar re-programed our coach we rarely have our floors set higher than low.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:49 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had them move the holder high up on the side wall of the storage cabinet to your left when sitting...I kept knocking the roll off!!
We used ours at the factory when the temp dropped in the 40s and it seemed plenty warm at medium.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:58 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Bowl300, you are correct. The floor heat is electric ONLY. Nothing to do with the Oasis system. Agree with srrobe - give Newmar a call - something is not right with your floor heat.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:33 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
At a 2-bar setting for all floors (front, mid and aft), we feel the floors beginning to warm within minutes of turning them on.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:59 AM   #10

We are quite happy with the option but it takes some forethought as they certainly are not instant warm. However because they heat such a large area it also heats the coach within reason. To the OP if you want to feel wicked hot put a backed rug down while the floor heat has been on for a while then feel the back of your rug.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:12 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Actually, the instructions for the heated floors state you should not cover it at all. It might damage the electrical conduit underneath the tiles because it gets too hot.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:26 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
We are quite happy with the option but it takes some forethought as they certainly are not instant warm. However because they heat such a large area it also heats the coach within reason. To the OP if you want to feel wicked hot put a backed rug down while the floor heat has been on for a while then feel the back of your rug.
Yes, I would expect a reasonable time to feel some heat, but couple hours? And only barely warm at that? Actually feels no warmer than a bare floor in summer.

My concern is that there is NO difference in the temp of heat between low, med, high settings.
No, i dont want to scald my feet... only to know the floor heat works appropriately.

Also, does it have a timer... you put on and it stays until turned off?

I'll have DH give Newmar a call to see if its a temp setting issue. Thx.

Tags
heat