Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2018, 08:14 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Heated floors with slides in

Is there any issue with using heated floors with your slides in? I ask as we store our coach on side of house with 50 amp. Even Florida has been hit with freezing temps and just wondering if I can use the heated floors to help supplement our furnace. Right now we have Oasis set to AC 1&2 to avoid leaving the burner in & burning diesel fuel. I know I could just put burner on & ignore using heated floors & AC 1&2 but thought it might be more efficient using the 50 amps.

Thanks!
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2018, 09:54 PM   #2

Here in Northern Oklahoma with night temps hitting any where from 1 degree to several nights in the lower teens (think the weather man said so far 15 days in a row below freezing) I have kept the Oasis on with AC I & II and the thermostat set on 40 degrees. I also have a remote in the water compartment which always reads about 40 degrees so the heater there is working fine while the Oasis front heater is running. I also have 3 light bulbs in different places in the basement compartments. I keep the FWS and the bedroom slide extended so I can move down the aisle. The coach is stored in the back yard connected to 50A service. Course I did winterize the coach with the pink stuff but don't completely trust my ability.

I've read that the floor heaters shouldn't be used if there are any rugs or mats with rubber backing on them being used on the floor. Have never heard if this includes the mats used for floor protection from the rollers for the FWS. Never use my floor heaters if there is anything laying on the floor.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:14 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the input. We have a 2017 so we don’t have any mats under slide rollers. I’m sure we’ll be fine without floor heat but thought I’d just check for future reference. Freezing temps for us are supposed to be over now after today with no other dips in forecast
Old 01-05-2018, 07:32 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsudelt View Post
Thanks for the input. We have a 2017 so we don’t have any mats under slide rollers. I’m sure we’ll be fine without floor heat but thought I’d just check for future reference. Freezing temps for us are supposed to be over now after today with no other dips in forecast
Its just a quick telephone call to Newmar for the correct answer and no wondering...Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:29 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yea I know, I wasn’t around coach so didn’t have their number. Guess I should keep the number stored in my phone!
Old 01-05-2018, 09:43 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My rig has electric floor heat. Anything on the floor that could hold the heat should not be used if the heat is on. They specifically say rubber backed rugs and pet beds shouldn't be used if the floor is on.
Tha said my slides have enough clearance when clsed that it shouldn't cause a problem, but I wouldn't do it unless the manufcturer OK'd it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:18 AM   #7

If you understand why no rubber back rugs closing the slides with floor heat on is easy. The buildup of heat will destroy the plastic coating on the wire in the floor and cause a short. The floor has to be able to radiate the heat away from the surface and with the slide closed it will build up.
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, heat, slide