Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2016, 09:40 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Heater hose again

I was informed by a fellow member on our model ( Spartan ISL ) coach the heater hose is likely to burst. Doing a search I see it is a common problem , very cheap hose to dash heat and Oasis. I had already noticed this hose is not good stuff. I have shut the valves on engine front and rear off for now til I can replace hose. Anyone with more knowledge see any problems with this. I won't need dash heat or the on the road hot water from Oasis.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2016, 09:46 AM   #2

The only one I had an issue with is the hoses leaving the "Y" by the rear axle that go into the basement heater core, one failed right where it went into the wall from outside...I capped both the hoses at the "Y".
Old 01-14-2016, 11:28 AM   #3

We have an 04 Essex on a K2 Spartan chassis which we purchased new and in the 1st 2 years we had 3 times burst heater hoses which flooded the outside cabinets and force us to do repairs on the side of the road. Spartan puts standard grade heater hose on their chassis which is the lowest quality hose you can get. I contacted Spartan and Newmar many times over the last 10 years to share our experience with these heater hoses. We were just at Spartan and looking at a new K3 chassis and it had these low grade hoses on it.
Spend 40 hours replacing all heater hoses with marine grade twice as thick heater hoses with gate valves on all ends so if anything leaks in the future can just close valve. Did this in 06 and have traveled over 100,000 miles with no heater hose problems. I am surprised that this issue is still going on. The only way to travel with out heater hose issues is to replace the low grade standard heater hose. All owners should check their heater hoses to see if it says "standard grade" on them and then decide what to do.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:41 AM   #4

On my last coach a 2005 madp I changed them all from the hydro hot back to the engine as a friend of mine that works at Newmar suggested this was after 3 hose blowouts after that we had no issues for 3 yrs and 10k miles

Now we have the 05 Essex and the hoses were on my list to replace just to be safe but I crawled under there this weekend and wow I had forgot what a pain that is so I checked them out and can't find any issues with them and they still feel good so u installed valves so if there is an issue we can keep rolling so I guess we will see what happens

Tags
heat, heater