Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2019, 10:19 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Heating question

I have noticed that there is a difference in the heat from my loop 1 and the heat in loop 2 especially in the bedroom. I have to set the thermostat several degrees higher in the bedroom (loop 2 ) to get it the same temp as the living room. I was checking behind my register in the bedroom . I discovered that there is a large area where the radiator is mounted. All though the radiator is mounted very close to the register I can't help think that reducing the area of the box the radiator is sitting in would help to get more heat into the bedroom and not heat up the area of the box that doesn't need to be heated. Thoughts anyone? I will post pictures in next post.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2019, 10:20 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Pictures of the bedroom. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191107_104804.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	266101Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191107_104756.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	266102
Old 11-07-2019, 10:27 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The fan is connected directly to the radiator, so I don't think the size of the box would make much difference. Now if the fan was sitting in the back of that box there my be some impact.

I think your issue may be more about the length of the hose run to rear of the coach.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:12 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
The fan is connected directly to the radiator, so I don't think the size of the box would make much difference. Now if the fan was sitting in the back of that box there my be some impact.

I think your issue may be more about the length of the hose run to rear of the coach.
You might be correct. I had to rework the front one in the dash. It had 3 tubes attached to the radiator and the majority of heat was keeping the dash very warm as well as the 2 trays above it and not much coming out into the living room area. I boxed it in and now all the air comes out into the living room. That is why I was thinking about the one in the bedroom.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:17 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You could probably make a tin housing (ducting) and force it directly out the vent. Check Home Depot, there may already be a piece of premade ducting that would fit the exterior of the radiator and sit flush against the back of the vent.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:23 PM   #6

Cardboard and duct tape would do to see if a duct would help. U can always build a better one later if u choose.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:10 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
On my front one I used insulboard with the reflective gray on the inside of the plenum. Might try to put one together tomorrow. I already have the materials so all I've lost is time if it doesn't help.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:18 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
It only took about 45 minutes and I had this cut out, taped and installed. I'll see if there is any noticeable difference. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191108_161555.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	266265
Old 11-18-2019, 06:20 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Took the coach out this last Friday for a long weekend. Was pretty chilly and had the heater going all weekend. Seems like the bedroom was warmer. Don't have any scientific proof and maybe psychological but think I'll keep the radiator incased with the box I made for it.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:44 PM   #10

I have two thoughts for you o consider.

First, the temperature sensor for the bedroom may be in a warmer area than the sensor for the front area. That would require a higher setting for the bedroom thermostat than you need for the front area to maintain a temperature that feels the same.

Second, as for the box, I would have made a small duct between the front of the heater to the grill so all the heated air has to go out the grill. It appears that a lot of the heated air can just go around the sides (3/4" framework setback) to the back of the heater and blow through again.
I don't see any grill for cold air access to the back of the heater. If cold air can't get to the back of the heater, there won't be much coming out the front. I think your new box will just add additional restrictions the the air movement.

I might change my thoughts some if you had a picture of the front door closed. It could be the whole door front is a grill and cold air intake is to the outer sides of the door and the warmed air is to come out the center of the door.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:56 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Have you considered putting a thick weather stripping on the font of the heater so it touches the venting. It may force all of the heated air through the vent and into the room.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:18 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
I have two thoughts for you o consider.

First, the temperature sensor for the bedroom may be in a warmer area than the sensor for the front area. That would require a higher setting for the bedroom thermostat than you need for the front area to maintain a temperature that feels the same.

Second, as for the box, I would have made a small duct between the front of the heater to the grill so all the heated air has to go out the grill. It appears that a lot of the heated air can just go around the sides (3/4" framework setback) to the back of the heater and blow through again.
I don't see any grill for cold air access to the back of the heater. If cold air can't get to the back of the heater, there won't be much coming out the front. I think your new box will just add additional restrictions the the air movement.

I might change my thoughts some if you had a picture of the front door closed. It could be the whole door front is a grill and cold air intake is to the outer sides of the door and the warmed air is to come out the center of the door.
There is about 1/8 inch or less gap between the foam board and the front grill. I can't take a picture of the inside with the grill attached. No bigger than the fan is on the back side of the radiator there is ample space to draw air for it, that's why I made the box larger than just the radiator. I agree about setting the thermostat to a higher setting than the front. Basically I just wanted the heat to go to the area it was intended for.

Tags
heat, heating

« 2011 Essex | XGS »