Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Help - 12v light issue.

Have a 12" fluorescent light fixture over our sink which has me stumped. Light went out so assumed it was bulb - (2) T58W bulbs in fixture. Bought two new bulbs, installed them and voila, no light. What could my problem be ?? Tested the bulbs I took out and the two new ones and one of the originals is bad. Any help appreciated.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #2

The ballast has probably gone bad. Happens on the 12 volt often.
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
More likely the ballast that energizes the fixture is bad. Check for 12 v at the fixture and through the on/off switch. If you have power there, it is the ballast.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
The ballast can be replaced, but
i would go back with the LED replacement strips. No ballast and the bulbs last forever.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
The ballast can be replaced, but
i would go back with the LED replacement strips. No ballast and the bulbs last forever.
I would replace with LEDs too, but he has already bought the replacement bulbs. If he has another fixture to use those bulbs, I would agree, LED strips would be less energy and more long lasting.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the advice on ballast, I do have 12V at fixture and switch. Where do I obtain the ballast and what do I ask for ? Is that an easy diy install ?
Old 10-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Google 12 v ballasts. Here's one source: Low voltage DC input electronic fluorescent light ballasts

I would think about using LED strips instead. Less power draw and probably cheaper than a ballast.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bob - Thanks for the link but, holy cow, at those prices I could almost buy a new fixture. Guess I will wait til I get back home next week and remove the fixture and take a closer look. Several mentioned going to led bubs....do those slip right in the fixture like the regular bulbs and would I still need to replace the ballast ?
Old 10-17-2012, 11:07 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandS View Post
Bob - Thanks for the link but, holy cow, at those prices I could almost buy a new fixture. Guess I will wait til I get back home next week and remove the fixture and take a closer look. Several mentioned going to led bubs....do those slip right in the fixture like the regular bulbs and would I still need to replace the ballast ?
If you buy the LED 'bulbs' that fit in the original holders/socket, you would have to remove or bypass the ballast as it is not used for LED's. If you use LED strips you cut and wire yourself, you remove ballast and completely rewire the fixture. This is not a big project, very simple, 2 wire, low voltage electrical project that saves money and power needs.

Cool White 5M 16.4FT 60leds/M 3528 SMD LED Strips Lights 300leds 12V New DIY | eBay

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/inex...de-139025.html

Bob & Donna
Old 12-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #10

We have a 2011 Canyon Star. The florescent light by the Fridge somehow effects the fridge. If we turn the light off at the light unit the fridge goes out. I replaced the unit with 2 new lights. (Interesting note: I put led lights in one unit in the hallway. The cost was $32.00. That was for only one light. The fixture holds two lights. No way was I going to pay another $32.00. In my lifetime it will not be cost effective.) obvious the ballast needs replacing. I contacted our dealer and he stated that Newmar is having problem with their florescent light system. I was told to replace the whole unit with a new style unit that will fit in the same spot as the old. Rather than the stylish curve at both ends of the light fixture it is a squared off system. Today is Dec. 13 and I will go to the nearest accessorie rv retailer and see what I can find out.
irvwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:47 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a thread found in QT's #3 among other things on changing lights to LED.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:23 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandS View Post
You may have fixed the problem by now however, I have an extra brand new ballast for a Thin-Lite fixture model 716 that can be sent to you if needed.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:43 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the offer Richard, but after looking at the cost of a ballast and not being sure I could wire it easily, I found a new fixture on line and replaced it. Think the new fixture was only around $40.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most any RV dealer will have the inverter (Ballast).. However cnsidering the cost, it might be a good time to go LED, That I agree with.

One of the things I hope to do, may be 2014 before I do it, but one of the things I hope to do, is make my own LED fixtures in the near furture,

Engineering is easy.. Getting hundreds of LOW COST LED's is the part that will take till Jan 2014 or 2015.