Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2019, 06:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojaijoe View Post
Has anyone found a solution?
No solutions but some ideas. Watching other threads on these problems it appears some or all of the reasons these units crash may have to do with out of limits parameters in other systems on the chassis. Apparently the OnGuard system is programmed to monitor the health of many on board systems. When an out of limits parameter is sensed (that is not related to OnGuard) it appears OnGuard is programmed to shut down as a way to protect this system due to the critical nature of this system that can command braking without driver input.

OnGuard is a product of Meritor Wabco, as such it is a vendor item to FreightLiner that is integrated in the J39 chassis bus system watching parameters to make sure the chassis is healthy.

I have some experience with systems like these in aircraft. With multiple black boxes in an airplane it is not unusual for one black box to shut down proactively once sensing a problem with another black box that may indicate an anomaly.

The OnGuard system is complex and the FreightLine service centers just don't have the training or tools to troubleshoot systems like this. They just swap boxes until it works.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2019, 06:25 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
TURBO, you have a good answer and I will be adding this thread with your other informative threads thanks.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:41 PM   #17

It happens bugs or no bugs. Pretty well convinced its a hardware issue with the radar unit. Seems others have had the same issue with the 18's. There is already a plexiglass shield over the unit. Will try the shut off procedure in the link next time out maybe I can at least get cruise control back.
Ojaijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:46 PM   #18

Quote:
It happens bugs or no bugs. Pretty well convinced its a hardware issue with the radar unit. Seems others have had the same issue with the 18's. There is already a plexiglass shield over the unit. Will try the shut off procedure in the link next time out maybe I can at least get cruise control back.
I agree with Turbo...some other component on the network is sending a signal it isn’t programmed to understand so it shuts down. I’d be surprised if it’s the radar unit itself.

After my initial occurrence, I’ve had no issues.
BuckyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:05 PM   #19

Help...Adaptive Cruise Disabled!

Quote:
I've been fighting this issue since I purchased my 2018 in Feb of this year. At first I thought it was related to some protective film the dealer had left on the covering over the radar unit. I cleaned and polished the area and it made no difference. I had the software upgrade installed about a month ago and have since put about 4000 miles on the coach. The longest it stayed on was about 2 hours. Usually popped off between 20 minutes and an hour. Stopping and restarting resets the system. Had one time where it showed radar blocked and then went off in about a minute. No Rhyme nor reason to it happening. Varied weather and traffic situations. Waiting for a call back from Freightliner now. Has anyone found a solution?

I had the same problem and the Freightliner dealer updated the software then two techs had to take it out with a lap top driving to recalibrate the radar unit. Since doing that in October of 2018 it has worked flawlessly, before it kept kicking out like yours. Be advised not all Freightliner dealers can do this and do it right! All just my experience.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:52 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";4999774]TURBO, you have a good answer and I will be adding this thread with your other [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/detailed-information-of-turbopilot-and-his-2018-new-aire-400099.html#post4280158
informative threads[/URL][/B] thanks.
Not sure I have answers, just informed speculation. OnGuard is probably one of the most advanced devices found on a FreightLiner chassis. It is set up to protect itself from erroneous inputs. I have heard that OnGuard is constantly monitoring around 39 chassis parameters, looking at things like wheel rotation. It appears that there may be times when one of these parameters exceeds a limit imposed by OnGuard leading to a protective shutdown. Shutdowns of my OnGuard system happen every few thousand miles without any chassis related codes thrown. So it is possible the criteria imposed on data parameters from the chassis by OnGuard are more stringent than those imposed by the FreightLiner ECM to throw a code.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:23 AM   #21

Spent an hour with newmar on the phone yesterday waiting for the correct person at freightliner to be available. It appears the software update done on my coach was a field service change and not the Wabco software patch to fix this "known issue" with the radar unit. Will be going in next week to have the local freightliner folks take another shot at it. According to freightliner the part number on the radar unit changes from 4008714590 to 4008714710 when the correct update is done. Apparently you need the Wabco Toolbox software to display the part number. I found the Wabco Meritor manual for the system at the following site. Best info on the function I've found.

http://graphicvillage.org/meritor/MM1306.pdf
Old 10-24-2019, 12:05 PM   #22

Took the Newaire in to freightliner Tuesday to update the radar software. They were backed up so I had to leave it overnight. Still can't get them to understand the need to plug it in. Anyway I called Gaffney and let them know it was in the shop and they called the shop to assist with the upgrade. They walked them through the process and successfully (I hope) applied the fix. Picked it up yesterday and it worked fine on the 1/2 hour drive home. Of course it worked fine on the way down too. Headed to Bakersfield this weekend so I'll give it a little better test if the fires don't get in the way. If anyone else is at this point the guy at freightliner that seems to be familiar with this issue for the 2018's is Dewayne Wilke. Was quite helpful.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:38 PM   #23

5 Hours on the road this weekend and no cruise control or CMS issues. Has neve gone that long without kicking out since new. Hoping that software change was the fix.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:24 AM   #24

I have a 2019 on the Spartan chassis.

Bugs stuck to the sensor on the front will cause a "CMS error" and disable the radar and therefore the cruise control (adaptive or traditional).

I've found the solution is to clean the sensor and then reboot the "gauges" by pulling the fuse in the front bay for a few seconds -- I think it's fuse F10.

Without pulling the fuse the system doesn't seem to reset.

It's irritating because I never see more than a couple small bug-specs on the sensor when the problem happens -- apparently it's very sensitive.
LagunaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:25 AM   #25

Update: I just spoke with Wabco - the maker of the radar. She suggested I remove the radar and see if the coach builder left a sticker on the inside of the fascia between the radar and the front bumper - and also verify that the bracket was at 90 degrees to the ground. Supposed to be 1/4" dead space between the face of the radar and the front-bumper fascia.

Would love a low-tech solution like a stupid sticker or a leaf stuck in there.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:56 PM   #26

I spent a lot of hours chasing the theory that something was blocking the radar unit. When I purchased the coach it had been on the dealers lot for some time. The protective film on the fascia in front of the detector had been left on and deteriorated into a sticky mess. Several hours of work got it cleaned up but no change. I also checked out the space between the Fascia and detector but it was clean. In my case the firmware change seemed to make a difference and the system has been working well since that change. I believe that was an issue specific to 2018 Freightliners though, Hope you found something with the detector. Good Luck.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:00 PM   #27

The only way I will know if there’s a firmware applicable to me, is to take it in to a shop that has the Wabco software.

I hate “the shop”.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:49 PM   #28

It was a known problem on 2018 & 2019 Freightliner chassis and to fix it takes a shop trip, software update AND a recalibration while on a road test. Had mine fixed a few weeks after it was new and worked flawlessly the rest of the time I owned it.

Tags
ada, disabled, led