RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2019, 04:21 PM   #1

Help...Adaptive Cruise Disabled!

While driving this morning, got message on dash: Radar Blocked!
Followed by the above message and as suggested, my Cruise is not working.

I stopped to see if there was any obvious obstruction on the front of the coach or in the generator area...nothing.

Turned engine off/on...message went away until I started driving again.

Questions:
Where is the radar sensor?
Is there a module I can try resetting? Where?
Has anyone else seen this and resolved it?

Thanks for your help...

Will continue driving , but I miss the adaptive cruise!

BuckyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2019, 07:02 PM   #2

Arrived at campground and was able to research this more. Found a previous thread about this issue. Iím not sure if the software update referenced in that thread was ever installed on my coach. For those that had the problem and installed the update, did you ever have the issue again?

Iím inclined to toggle the main chassis battery switch to try and reset the adaptive cruise. Any other ideas for resetting?

Old 07-08-2019, 07:16 PM   #3

I have had three different cars with this feature. The worst was a Subaru Forester. It worked with two cameras that often had sight issues. I no longer have that car. Two Toyota cars we now have both have adaptive cruise on them. Every once in a while something gets stuck on the badge where the radar is located in the front of the car. Cleaning if off will usually fix the issue.

If you know where the radar location is at and also if you have a camera that is part of the system. Clean both locations. This often is the issue. A bug stuck on the window in front of the camera will make it not work. I have only once found the need to pull off the battery cable to get the system back up an running. That was on the Subaru.

Good luck in finding the fix
ClassAboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:32 PM   #4

On our 18 LA today with Spartan k-3 chassis just had for the first time in 15K miles have the brakes come on and slow to 30 mph on I-80. Thank goodness no one was behind because as we came to a very quick slow down before I was able to hit the fuel pedal to stop LA from coming to a complete stop. We were on cruise control but there was nothing in front of us for at least a mile. Haven't used cruise control very much and am thinking that that might be part of the issue. A number of other Newmar owners have had their coach either come to a complete stop or at least have the brakes come on quickly and would ask if they were using their cruise control when there coach had the issue with brakes coming on?
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
On our 18 LA today with Spartan k-3 chassis just had for the first time in 15K miles have the brakes come on and slow to 30 mph on I-80. Thank goodness no one was behind because as we came to a very quick slow down before I was able to hit the fuel pedal to stop LA from coming to a complete stop. We were on cruise control but there was nothing in front of us for at least a mile. Haven't used cruise control very much and am thinking that that might be part of the issue. A number of other Newmar owners have had their coach either come to a complete stop or at least have the brakes come on quickly and would ask if they were using their cruise control when there coach had the issue with brakes coming on?
Newmar Man
Iíve had that happen twice...both times over a year and 10,000 miles ago. This is the first time for the ADAPTIVE CRUISE DISABLE message.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:26 PM   #6

Adaptive Cruise Disabled

Freightliner has a software update for this error. Had it numerous times every trip I took and ignition always reset it. Since the software update I haven't seen the error again and cruise works well.
BPeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPeas View Post
Freightliner has a software update for this error. Had it numerous times every trip I took and ignition always reset it. Since the software update I haven't seen the error again and cruise works well.
Thanks Bob...

Did you have to go to a FL dealer for update?
Old 07-08-2019, 09:05 PM   #8

I had to go to a FL dealer to solve this problem. They downloaded software updates then had to take it on the road with a laptop connected to recalibrate the system. All a recall on my 2019 New Are, mine was an early buil 19 and freightliner had the fix soon after I took delivery so any one built after August should have been fixed before leaving Newmar.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:21 PM   #9

Thanks Ann n Gene
Old 07-09-2019, 04:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyII View Post
Thanks Bob...

Did you have to go to a FL dealer for update?
Yes, the software update had to be done at Freightliner. Hopefully they can get it done for you while you wait.
BPeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPeas View Post
Yes, the software update had to be done at Freightliner. Hopefully they can get it done for you while you wait.
Thanks Bob...

This morning after a nights rest, the adaptive cruise worked fine. As others have reported, it resets itself.

In reconstructing what happened yesterday to cause the ďRADAR BLOCKED ď message, I probably caused it as follows:

- Adaptive Cruise was active going up a hill behind a really slow truck.
- I pulled into the left lane and was impatient...pressed hard on the accelerator in an attempt to speed up the passing process.
- At that point, I received the Radar Blocked message.

The software must have a bug which causes it to branch incorrectly to that message under those circumstances...the update probably corrects it.

In the past, I donít recall ever trying to override the acceleration process as aggressively as done yesterday...the reason I had never had the error before.

In the future, Iíll deactivate the Cruise before accelerating while cruise is active. And, Iíll get the update performed. However, I donít feel an urgent need for the update knowing what probably caused this.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyII View Post
Thanks Bob...

This morning after a nights rest, the adaptive cruise worked fine. As others have reported, it resets itself.

In reconstructing what happened yesterday to cause the ďRADAR BLOCKED ď message, I probably caused it as follows:

- Adaptive Cruise was active going up a hill behind a really slow truck.
- I pulled into the left lane and was impatient...pressed hard on the accelerator in an attempt to speed up the passing process.
- At that point, I received the Radar Blocked message.

The software must have a bug which causes it to branch incorrectly to that message under those circumstances...the update probably corrects it.

In the past, I donít recall ever trying to override the acceleration process as aggressively as done yesterday...the reason I had never had the error before.

In the future, Iíll deactivate the Cruise before accelerating while cruise is active. And, Iíll get the update performed. However, I donít feel an urgent need for the update knowing what probably caused this.
I had the update done 3,000 miles ago. Since then I have had one "crash" with it clearing after the next engine cycle on/off. Since the update I get fewer alarms when following close traffic. They have definitely fixed that problem.

I understand the OnGuard system is constantly looking at a wide variety of chassis related parameters on the J1939 bus system unrelated to the OnGuard system itself. If any of those parameters are not within specification the OnGuard system may thow an error and shutdown. Since the OnGuard system can take over braking under certain conditions I think the software engineers have configured this system to just shut down if conditions are not just right. I have no problem with this approach.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:35 PM   #13

I've been fighting this issue since I purchased my 2018 in Feb of this year. At first I thought it was related to some protective film the dealer had left on the covering over the radar unit. I cleaned and polished the area and it made no difference. I had the software upgrade installed about a month ago and have since put about 4000 miles on the coach. The longest it stayed on was about 2 hours. Usually popped off between 20 minutes and an hour. Stopping and restarting resets the system. Had one time where it showed radar blocked and then went off in about a minute. No Rhyme nor reason to it happening. Varied weather and traffic situations. Waiting for a call back from Freightliner now. Has anyone found a solution?
Ojaijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:53 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Are you running into June bugs or some other bug if the the unit is in grill area?
Will placing a plastic screen in front of unit work or cause same problem?
Not much more info.
Some pictures and manuals.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, disabled, led