Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2019, 09:57 AM   #1

Help Air horn doesnt work.

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire. The coach has 2 horns. One under the hood and air horns on top of the coach. There is a switch on the dash for the air horn. I think the way this works is when you push down on the horn button the horn under the hood beeps. Then when you flip the air horn switch on the dash and push the horn button the air horns blast. But right now doesn't matter which position the switch on the dash is, when I push the horn button only the horn under the hood works. Any idea why the air horns are not working?
Milan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2019, 11:11 AM   #2

Do you have the engine running and the coach aired up?
Old 03-07-2019, 11:26 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Air Horns not working

Hello,

When I purchased my coach, the original owner showed me the air horns worked. I flip the switch to turn on the air horns and press the horn button. Now, 2 years later, I can not seem to get them to work. I do have the coach running and air is in the system. I am drive down the road flip the air horn switch and press the horn button. Just the electric horn sounds now. I want to follow this thread to see what you all come up with for me to test.

Thanks,
signet63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Do you have the engine running and the coach aired up?
It isn't a air ride. So I'm assuming it has a electrical compressor for the horns. I checked all the fuses and all are good.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:51 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had this happen on my 07 KSDP. The tech found a bad connection on the solenoid/relay that activates the air horns. Put on a new connector and they now work.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:53 PM   #6
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan15 View Post
It isn't a air ride. So I'm assuming it has a electrical compressor for the horns. I checked all the fuses and all are good.
If you don't have your coach air pressure up, the air horn won't sound. Start the coach, let the air system come up to pressure and try the air horn. Then, get back to us.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig36 View Post
I had this happen on my 07 KSDP. The tech found a bad connection on the solenoid/relay that activates the air horns. Put on a new connector and they now work.
Do you know where the solenoid is located?
Old 03-07-2019, 02:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
If you don't have your coach air pressure up, the air horn won't sound. Start the coach, let the air system come up to pressure and try the air horn. Then, get back to us.

TJ
Again this isn't a air ride coach. It has no air system.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:18 PM   #9

My air horns didn't work when we bought the coach and a buddy showed me where the solenoids were located (mine are to the right of the generator up front and are mounted on a little air manifold). When you honk the horn, if the electrical connections are good (you need a good ground and the connection from the air horn switch), you can feel the solenoids click. Mine were not clicking. I removed, cleaned up the grounds and reattached. Then the solenoids clicked (I had the regular horns disconnected and was not aired up). When driving home I turned on the air horns and honked the horn and the regular horn came on and a second later, the air horns came on - yay. Then my wife told me to stop scaring everybody (there was no one around).
Now, my air horns are not working again. I cleaned the grounds again but still not working. So next will be to clean the connection from the air horn switch.
Since you don't have an air system I have no idea where your compressor is.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:20 PM   #10
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan15 View Post
Again this isn't a air ride coach. It has no air system.
OK, so it is a gas coach without air brakes, right? I am not familiar with that model. Sorry.

TJ
Old 03-07-2019, 04:00 PM   #11

So is it normal if you have the air horn turned on, on the dash that you get both the dash electric horn and the air horn at the same time?
Old 03-07-2019, 04:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKatMsu View Post
So is it normal if you have the air horn turned on, on the dash that you get both the dash electric horn and the air horn at the same time?
I was under the impression that its either or. But not both. Now I don't know for sure. I wish someone can tell me where on a gas coach the solenoid and compressor is located.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:36 PM   #13

As I recall when I tested my air-horns before we bought the coach (the only time I've used them), not only did I have to flip the switch on the dash, but I also had to press and hold the horn on the steering wheel for a couple of seconds before the air-horns blasted.

The air-horns didn't come on instantly. There was about a 2 second delay. First the regular horn sounded, then if I held the horn on, the air-horns kicked in.

Since the air-horns are so loud, this isn't something you can easily test at home -- or in a campground.

I have a DP with air-brakes and air-suspension. But I'm thinking the air-horns still have that built-in delay.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:47 PM   #14
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The air horns in my 2018 MADP don't have any delay. And, IMHO, any horn that has a 2-second delay is pretty useless. Used as a warning device, you want it to sound immediately, not wait a couple of seconds.

As for the location of the compressor in the OPs coach, I'd start looking in the generator compartment up front. Look for air lines running toward the horns and follow them back.

Before I spent too much time looking for the compressor, however, I would go to the 12 VDC fuse panels and look for a blown fuse. If you are lucky, the fuses will be labeled. If not, start looking closely at fuses (especially in the 5A to 15A range that I would suspect the compressor uses) for one that is blown.

You might also call Newmar and see if some one in Service or Parts knows where the compressor is located. You might be surprised at the result.

Good luck.

TJ

Tags
air