RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2019, 08:08 PM   #1

Help deciding on Ventana v. DS

All,
We are planning to purchase a used coach early next year. We have narrowed down to a 2014-2016 Ventana or DS. We need to stay in 170k-200k? range. Does the DS have significant advantages besides the comforts? We are looking at 4037 or 4018, 40-43í. Iím aware of the pure cost difference. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks
Alan

ADiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2019, 09:24 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Help deciding on Ventana v. DS

I would guess you know that major diff are as follows -

Engines are basically the same but V is set up to deliver 400 HP and DS is chipped for 450. Since weight is higher on the DS, some of this extra HP gets chewed up.

V has rear radiator and DS has side radiator. Rear tends to get dirty faster and requires more work to keep clean. Also, blocks access to rear of engine making it hard to do visual inspection of belts, hoses, etc. Side Rad is somewhat more efficient. They both work.

V has solid front axle and DS has independent front suspension (IFS). Ride might be better with IFS, but potential maintenance may also be higher.

As to the coach, the DS has a bit higher level of trim, but they are very close. Some options that are available on DS are not offered on V. Review the option lists closely but one example is heated floors. I also think the all tile floors may not be a standard item on the V.

Both are good coaches, built the same way on the same production line by the same expert craftsmen.

2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold
deaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:10 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Checking the options closely is the best advice. Other than the IFS, horsepower and side radiator, things change every year. Options from the DS move to the VT. DS getting new options from the Mountainaire also. Just this year VT gained Girard awnings and the 360 view camera. After having the same decision myself and hearing many times that if you are looking at a VT you should get a DS because you will end up there at some point, I still made the decision on a VT based on having enough of the options available making it hard to justify the $90K difference to get a DS.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADiamond View Post
All,
We are planning to purchase a used coach early next year. We have narrowed down to a 2014-2016 Ventana or DS. We need to stay in 170k-200k? range. Does the DS have significant advantages besides the comforts? We are looking at 4037 or 4018, 40-43í. Iím aware of the pure cost difference. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks
Alan
I just got off he same boat looked at a lot of Ventana 4369s and VLE 4037 and 4018s Was trying to stay in the same budget range as you, I almost made a deal on a 16 Ventana 4369 MINT, for 200 but glad the guy declined.

It pushed me to look at new and Independence RV Hooked me up with a 19 I call Vickie for 266, when you factor in the warranties and starting brand new it was an easy decision, the Bigger shower is a nice bonus too.

Ted.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:16 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Both great motorhomes. You said 40-43í but the model you listed are 40í
The range of the DS 14-16 is tricky, the 14 doesnít have the Girard type roof and also doesnít have the More Floor full wall slide.15 has the Girard style roof but still doesnít have More Floor. 16 has both the Roof and More Floor. I point this out because in my opinion the gap between Ventana and Dutch Star became larger in 16 favoring DS.

The mechanical items previously listed are throughout all of the years and are what they are.
Good luck.

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:03 AM   #6

Deaton (#2 post) describes the differences pretty well.

If you are strictly comparing DS to VT, and not Ventana LE that is.

You could find some used models closer in options that others. For example, many Ventana models will have full tile, the 3rd air, or many other small factory options added. Look at all of these closely in case you come across a "loaded" Ventana and end up comparing it to the same year DS with zero options. Don't get me wrong, you will still get more things on the basic DS, like heated floors and bling, but it should bring the two used prices much closer.

I agree what other said about the engine difference between the regular Ventana (400hp) and the DS (450hp). Due to the weight difference in the coaches the 50hp probably evens out.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:55 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
For me, one of the biggest gains in going with my late great Ď15 DS was the 150 gal diesel tank. With 100 like in the VT, the fuel stops were a lot closer together.
RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:59 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
You could find some used models closer in options that others. For example, many Ventana models will have full tile,
FLJOE, do you have full tile floors with no carpet in your slides?

Even in 2020, the Ventana still has carpet in the slides and do not come with More Floor.

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:50 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRon View Post
For me, one of the biggest gains in going with my late great Ď15 DS was the 150 gal diesel tank. With 100 like in the VT, the fuel stops were a lot closer together.

Yep, but you only get that on a Ď43. Those of us pushing a Ď40XX DS only get a 100 gallon tank.

Iím guessing itís a weight thing since the 4018 MA has the 150 tank. But then itís on a a k3 and the Ď40 foot DS has a lighter front axle than the Ď43 foot DS.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post

Even in 2020, the Ventana still has carpet in the slides and do not come with More Floor.
Why is Carpet in the slide a bad thing?

Personally I like it, I think it's great makes it a warmer feel than cold tile.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:29 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
We are moving from Ventana to DS, although both coaches are great so it comes down "bang for the buck" and mechanical things. IFS, side radiator, and engine size on DS. felt that DS gives you more "bang for the buck" than Ventana did, especially when you add IFS, side radiator, and engine size into the equation. Routine and corrective maintenance in the engine compartment is more expensive on a rear radiator than side radiator. Simple job like replacing a radiator fan, serpentine belt, or dash AC compressor can be an expensive proposition on a rear radiator due to interference removal and in added labor costs due to access, just my experience anyway.
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:29 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie 4369 View Post

This is obviously a very personal choice.

Carpet will show wear far sooner than solid surfaces.

In our s&b we choose solid surface for all common areas, and carpet for less used rooms and personal closets etc.

As a result, we have a lot of large area rugs and runner carpets to have a softer feel.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie 4369 View Post

I think the look of the More Floor is something that really sets apart the DutchStar and above models in the Newmar line. As far as I know, Foretravel and Newell are the only other coaches with a flat floor with the slides extended (Entegra, Tiffin, American Coach., etc don't have this, even on their top of the line models).
Sipester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:16 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
We have had two coaches with carpet in the slides and there is nothing wrong with that. But it is harder to keep clean.

One of the factors that sold us on our first Newmar was the ďmore floorĒ as we like the look and itís very easy to keep clean.

Frankly, Iím surprised that some of the other major coach Builderís havenít pick up on this feature.

Tags
vent, ventana