Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2018, 12:56 PM   #1

Help Direct Wiring Multiple Lighter/USB Device

I've purchased a 3-socket cigarette lighter power adapter cup holder dual USB charger 12v/24v device for use in my '15 DSDP 4369. My plan is to
place the device in one of the two cup holders to my (driver) left and using
a pigtail fuse holder run the wiring to an unused spot on the fuse panel to my outside left. The distance would be relatively short. Anyone able to advise the neatest routing from my cup holders into the compartment? Also, what fuse would I need for the pigtail? Any helpful advice would be most appreciated! Larry
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2018, 01:25 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Often the cup holder can be pulled out of the hole it's in. Then the wiring could be routed through the space below. You could drill a hole in the cup holder for the wires. Most power outlets are fused at 10 amps or less, so if you're wiring a triple outlet that also has 2 USB ports, I'd probably use a 30 amp fuse, if the wiring is adequate for 30 amps.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh37 View Post
I've purchased a 3-socket cigarette lighter power adapter cup holder dual USB charger 12v/24v device for use in my '15 DSDP 4369. My plan is to
place the device in one of the two cup holders to my (driver) left and using
a pigtail fuse holder run the wiring to an unused spot on the fuse panel to my outside left. The distance would be relatively short. Anyone able to advise the neatest routing from my cup holders into the compartment? Also, what fuse would I need for the pigtail? Any helpful advice would be most appreciated! Larry
Picture might help,, is there any power of any source close to the cup holder that is on the left side of the driver seat? If I am understanding you correctly. What about under the dash what is the closest power source to the left side?
Driver door? Power window? Courtesy lights? Power seat?
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Often the cup holder can be pulled out of the hole it's in. Then the wiring could be routed through the space below. You could drill a hole in the cup holder for the wires. Most power outlets are fused at 10 amps or less, so if you're wiring a triple outlet that also has 2 USB ports, I'd probably use a 30 amp fuse, if the wiring is adequate for 30 amps.
I dont know anything about the rig so if there is any 10 ga wire there then that would do. If not, you can separate at least one of the outlets and reduce your wire size requirement to 12 ga and a 16 or 18 ga wire just make sure you make two separate circuits.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:04 PM   #5

Thanks, Quincy! Really was wanting to go to the fuse panel, it's so close.
Thought it best to go the separate circuit route, using the pigtail and the
appropriate fuse for it. Likely, I can tie in to a number of different locations, that are only hot with the ignition on. Larry
Old 01-03-2018, 03:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh37 View Post
Thanks, Quincy! Really was wanting to go to the fuse panel, it's so close.
Thought it best to go the separate circuit route, using the pigtail and the
appropriate fuse for it. Likely, I can tie in to a number of different locations, that are only hot with the ignition on. Larry
U R Welcome, Let us know how it ended up.

Good Luck
Old 01-04-2018, 08:12 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my 16 VTDP, when they replaced the 2nd 12v lighter socket with the USB port, they left the power and grd wires unused. Some spade connectors, 12 gauge wire across the dash, another cb at the new outlet, and a new hole in the dash faschia in the corner, and i have an outlet on the left. Wa-la! (That French word my DW knows how to spell.)
Old 01-04-2018, 09:00 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
When I've added power outlets to my dashboard, I try to vary the source of power. 2 are switched by the ignition, (GPS, phone charger) the other is wired to chassis full time, third is wired to the house battery system.

Again, I caution the OP to carefully check the gauge of the wiring to their 3 outlet, dual USB port unit. I couldn't find any that were a "3-socket cigarette lighter power adapter cup holder dual USB charger 12v/24v device," the maximum I found were 2 socket, not 3. Each of the units I found had a 12v power plug to plug into a single power outlet. I'd find the fuse and check its size. That will be the maximum capacity of the unit. If you cut off the plug and wire it, make sure you don't install a larger fuse in the wire.

Bob & Donna
Old 01-04-2018, 03:15 PM   #9

Thanks for all your info, Bob. The device I posted about is further described
as "BESTEK 12v/24v 200w 3-Socket Cigarette Lighter Adapter Cup Holder Car Power Splitter with 4.2A Dual USB Car Charger". It's a quality item, shaped as a tall metal cup, with a hinged lid when not in use. It's available at a number of vendors...mine came from Amazon for $17.99. I've yet to have the time to put to use for install, all the good info you all have given. Thanks, again. Larry
Old 01-04-2018, 05:06 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
The spring tip of the provided plug unscrews, the usual fuse holder, and according to the Amazon entry, "high protection, built-in 20A fuse."

Bob & Donna

Tags
light, wiring