RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2018, 06:35 PM   #1

Help in Grapevine TX with Blue Ox signal and Brake lites

We’re camping at Vineyards campground and are having trouble with our toad’s signal and brake lites. Only half of the strip lites up - it works for right turns only. It only lites up on the right side for turns or brakes. I have checked the connections and they look fine - the system is only 6 months old.
Any ideas of who could fix this? Anyone who would come to me?
We are on a 3 week cross county trip to Minnesota and have reservations that I would hate to try to change. We will be in Grapevine until Thursday.
Duanetf1234
2018 Dutch Star
2017 Buick Envision toad

duanetf1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2018, 07:22 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Help in Grapevine TX with Blue Ox signal and Brake lites

Did you check the connections within the actual black plug in the coiled wire between the coach and the receptacle on the toad? Had the same issue on our Blue Ox setup. Found two wires that had worked out of their respective connections. Placed them back in, tightened all screws. Fixed the issue.

tyoneonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:37 PM   #3

....do you have a converter box on your coach to combine 4 wire to 5 wire signals [eg combined stop/signal vs separate amber turn signals]? If used, did you check diode blockers in aftermarket wiring set-up to ensure connection/function. If you have checked all toad and coach connections and not found any issues and you have the aforementioned converter box, the box may be going bad......
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:39 PM   #4

I agree with the above post. The fittings come off fairly easily held on with a set screw. Probably have to check both ends. If you don't have the time, I'd suggest you buy a new cable and until you can get the current one repaired if that's the problem. Then keep it for a backup. There's an RV parts dealer about 10-15 miles from Grapevine that has BlueOx replacement parts. It's United RV. Their phone number is 817-834-7141 at 5100 Airport Freeway, Fort Worth. They offer Vets a 10% discount. If a new cable doesn't fix the problem, you can return it to RV United. Hope this helps.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:40 PM   #5

A local blueox dealer not to far from you is Discount*Hitch and Truck Accessories in Arlington (817-461-6028).*I had them do all my work with blueox. Great guys.
texoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:30 PM   #6

NIRVC at 498 Business 128 in Lewisville fixed my blueox toad wiring problem just last week. They have a great service dept and are great folks, run by there, I bet they would work you in to get your lights working right.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:17 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
NIRVC at 498 Business 128 in Lewisville fixed my blueox toad wiring problem just last week. They have a great service dept and are great folks, run by there, I bet they would work you in to get your lights working right.
NIRVC. They can and will fix you up.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:33 PM   #8

Thanks to everyone for your help. I ended up stopping at hitch and truck accessories on the way (sort of) to Grapevine. They immediately looked at it and ended up spending over a hour and a half tracking down two loose wires. Without their testing equipment I won’t have had a chance to figure it out.
I appreciate TEXOZ giving me the recomendation.
Duane

duanetf1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox, brake