Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2005, 12:44 PM   #1

Purchased an 03 Scottsdale used from dealer (not a newmar dealer). They claimed they sanitize tanks etc. The toilet and kitchen sinks stink like rotten eggs, from first day out with empty tanks. Are there heaters that can be turned off/on for de-icing purposes? (I don't have a Newmar manual either). Also, there are 2 switches above door for water heater, which is gas/electric? and which order should I turn them on? Any help would be highly appreciated. One more, there is a "fan" switch at the sewer/water connection area, but nothing happens when I turn it on, where is this fan? Thanks again all.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2005, 12:44 PM   #2

Purchased an 03 Scottsdale used from dealer (not a newmar dealer). They claimed they sanitize tanks etc. The toilet and kitchen sinks stink like rotten eggs, from first day out with empty tanks. Are there heaters that can be turned off/on for de-icing purposes? (I don't have a Newmar manual either). Also, there are 2 switches above door for water heater, which is gas/electric? and which order should I turn them on? Any help would be highly appreciated. One more, there is a "fan" switch at the sewer/water connection area, but nothing happens when I turn it on, where is this fan? Thanks again all.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:36 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
socalman38, Welcome to irv2.
Buy some desinfectant for holding tank the blue stuff at Wal-mart,an give it a good dose with about a half tank of water an drive the coach around for a few miles. Leave in tanks until full. Also put some down all traps,shower,sinks,washer-dry if you have one an leave in. As you use coach the smells will disapate. You can clean sink bowls and toilets with Soft-Scrub the bleach will get rid of smells also.
The switchs for hot-water heater the elect outlet with single switch nob is for a electric element in water heater,the red light will be on while in this mod, the switch with a push type switch is for your gas part of heater, the red light will go off when gas is lite. You can use elect part of heater if your plugged into at least 30 amps. The gas will heat up water faster than you can switch to elect to save on LP gas. There is a switch for defrosting your mirrors on the control to adjust them if you have that option.
The fan switch in water compartment is for heating your tanks when its cold outside, keeps tanks from freezing. The fan will cycle off an on when the furnace cycles on an off. Just activate in the cold weather. The fan is located in the foil tubing coming from furnace.
Congrats on your new coach an many happy miles.
If you call Newmar service center 574-773-7791 they can help with service books for you, just give coach MFG # about 70000#'s , SHOULD BE LOCATED IN ONE OF YOUR CABINETS. Any thing else let us know. "007"

ALso you can become a "Newmar Forum Member Owner" just ask, its for free.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:36 PM   #4

socalman38
you may be able to contact Newmar customer service with your vin #, model #, ect and get a generic manuel from them. They are real good about helping out in situations like this. A friend of mine was in similar situation and they sent him a complete set of manuels for his coach, NO CHARGE. Can't beat a company like that.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:10 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">kitchen sinks stink like rotten eggs, from first day out with empty tanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
the smell you describe is a classic case of "old" water left too long in the water heater. Try removing the anode/drain plug and throughly flushing out the tank. Be careful not to damage the electrical element inside. Also, consider replacing the anode IF it is badly eaten away ( it is self-sacrificial to protect the tank). The rotten egg odor should deminish as fresh water runs through the tanks and lines to all outlets of hot water(don't forget the outside shower, too). ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 06:35 AM   #6

Thank you all!! I've already learned alot about my rig thanks to all you knowledge. I spent last night emptying the tanks. I emptied when we went out last trip, and we recently went out for a 1 hour drive, and came back with over 25 gallons in the black tank. I'm guessing that because I was not level when emptying from our last trip, that there was still lots left inside tank? Any tips on future emptying? Do you level or off level towards tanks when emptying at a campground? (we were not in full hookups). Thanks again.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:47 AM   #7

I usually put both passenger side jacks down to tilt the MH towards the sewer drain side. However, the only way to empty your water heater tank is to remove the anode/drain plug. ED
Old 08-23-2005, 06:53 AM   #8

I forgot to mention another possibility. DEPENDING ON YOU FLOORPLAN, you MAY have a basin(sink) that drains into the black tank, rather than the grey tank as you would expect. You can prove / disprove this fact by opening your grey water drain valve and running water out of each water source(faucet)ONE at A TIME. IF one does not cause the grey tank to flow-then IT must be flowing to the black tank, right?? ED
Old 08-23-2005, 12:07 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
One other thing over looked, check your water filter if its built in your water sys should be near your water inlets looks like a whole house filter you have in your home. "007"
Old 08-23-2005, 04:19 PM   #10

one more tip......use whatever cleaner or chemical you choose however when you start to drive around stop and put ice in the tanks(got this idea from salesman) it will help scrub your tank without abrasion
maircott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 05:04 PM   #11

THose are all good tips, a couple things I do and have never had a problem. In black or gray tanks no chemicals, I always keep at least 1/4 tank of water in the black, and if the unit is sitting without use I fill the gray up to about 3/4 . I keep my traps and toilet full of water . I run water through all the water outlets once a week. I always dump my black full or at least 3/4 and I always travel with at least 1/4 tank in the black. I have a dump at home. So the gray is not a problem for me. When we were living in the trailer a lot of this happened naturally, except the gray tanks were left open to a sewer. I usuallu put a little bleach in the fresh water tank, just a little. When the unit is parked I use this water to run through the lines, traps, toilet etc.

I very seldom flush my black tank with the flusher the water sloshing around takes care of that. On the road depending on circumstances I dump the black every couple of days. THis is a tank that will normally last two people two weeks minimum.

I check my anode rod twice a year and flush the hot water tank then.

Everybody does this a little differently. I found out that the no chemical route produced the best results. Genereally the only chemical that goes in my black tank is dish soap.

You can actually ssanitize your fresh water tank and all the lines with a little bleach. Your owners manual should tell you the correct procedure..

I have had zero problems or smells an my sensors have never acted up.

Other than that ...enjoy.
Michael Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 03:16 PM   #12
rlc

Newmar Owners Club
Was camping this summer and a couple came in beside me and we were talking about odors and he gave me this e-mail address. I have a black tank wash out but use this method in my gray tank. the first couple of times I used it noticed a lot of extra hard particales comming out as I dumped, will be using it all the time now

Bob&Shirley
rlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 06:06 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Bob&Shirly to irv2
Glad to have you aboard come down and join us in the Newmar Forum and ask for a little KARMA which will show you as a member of that forum.
You still have free rain of irv2 to input your answers to all topics. "007"