Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2016, 10:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by znt1186 View Post
No, it actually shut down everything. All 120v AC is passed through the inverter and nothing works when that happens on my coach. Heat pumps out, everything dead. Reset the breakers and all is well. They are all set up a little different. Anyway, it is worth a shot.

very strange but as said I doubt you would have had invertion and this fellow does ; also to note I have a 2008 bus and the heat pumps/ac do not go through any inverter system and have their own stand alone breakers
I just can not imagine anyone wiring the systems this way as it makes no sense what so ever
also would seem odd that both inverter breakers would pop at the same time
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2016, 10:26 AM   #16

I guess we would need to ask Tiffin why my coach is wired that way. All I can tell you is that is the way it is. It has happened since under heavy loads. Since mine is an older coach, it does not have a power management system other than me. Now I just keep an eye on what is going to be powered up at one time and don't have any issues.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:12 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do you have a surge protector and did you try to by pass it same have a key to do so?
You can take cover of transfer switch and see if the relays are funtioning also run a dollar bill through contacts to remove any iron filings that maybe in magnets of relays and use to clean relay contacts, will need to pull power cord from pedestal.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 02:20 PM   #18

Thanks for all the replies guys, it's now at the dealership, so I'll let ya'll know what it was
Magredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 02:30 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magredvet View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys, it's now at the dealership, so I'll let ya'll know what it was
Interesting problem......
Sorry to read you are have this issue...........
Old 12-10-2016, 07:40 PM   #20

Where would the transfer switch be on the 2015 Newmar Dutch Star, and probably the Ventanas would be the same also. I'm not even sure what a transfer switch looks like.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:47 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Follow your power cord to transfer switch in your power bay and this link will explain your transfer switch which may also have a surge protector built in it, plus link will explain many more things you need to know.
All the links below in my signature have more links for info for your coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:38 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is one of the very few, in fact the 1st "Lost 120 volt" power where I do NOT automatically suspect the inverter.

IN fact the O/P ruled the inverter and the circuit breakers on it (or the Inverter sub panel if any) Out in his original post...
(Compliments to the O/P on that by the way)

He said "The only way I can get 120 volts is via the INVERTER)

Power path Going all the way back to the pole (And I once had a "no power" problem that was indeed up the pole.. Thankfully neither I nor the park owner had to fix that one), At the top of the pole is a Fuse and a Transformer.. From there wires go to the Power meter, then the park owner takes over as wires come out of there to the distribution panel's main breaker (Which was defective and had to be replaced a few months before the fuse failed at the top of the pole) and from there to branch breakers which in this park each feed a single site (how it should be done) but in some parks feed multiple sites (up to around 10 normally).

And from there into your site Pedestal. where there are breakers for 50/20/30 amps in many cases. and then via an outlet into your plug (now it's your problem) and cord

So far we have 3 circuit breakers and a fuse. And a whole lot of wire, All of which I've seen fail at one time or another.

Now.. We have your plug (Seen those fail) cord (never seen one fail) outlet on the shore cord (yup had one fall off in my hand) inlet on the RV, if it's a motor home the Auto Transfer Switch (Seen that one go too) Main breaker branch breakers (You guessed it, Seen those too) and the branch circuits which often include daisy chained outlets (yup seen that).

Now understand I do not work on RV's for a living.. Just mine and friends here in the park.

OH, you have an inverter (it too has a transfer switch)

Have you tried powering up ye old generator? DID IT WORK,

This narrows things down a bit.

Some folks have a Energy Monitoring or management system One type of that is what we call a "Surge Guard" those will shut you off if voltage dropps too low.... Some have Autoformers installed as well (these normally boost if needed but it's another plug or two and outlet and failure points (at least 5)

Test gear, at the minimum a 120 volt test light is needed.

You said you reset a breaker and power returned briefly

This suggests one of two things

Overload
Defective breaker (the one you reset)

ANd yes.. I've seen that too, only it was the park's breaker, not mine, TWICE.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:59 AM   #23

Got the coach back from the dealer yesterday, turns out it was the transfer switch that had gone bad. Thanks for all the suggestions and replies
Magredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:06 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Got the coach back from the dealer yesterday, turns out it was the transfer switch that had gone bad. Thanks for all the suggestions and replies
Yep. Seems like the weakest link on the 120V side of things. It's just a process of elimination. Start at the source and work down stream.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:13 AM   #25

Quote:
BINGO what I suggested way back in the second post reply
Quote:
if your house main breaker is ok(double 50) then maybe your transfer switch has totally failed. Did u try resetting the main breaker?
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:35 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Glad to read you got it fixed..........there sure seems to be a ton of transfer switch failures .........read about them everyday on here!
They just don't make things like they use to...........Maybe Trump will fix some of these problems and the junk that is marketed

Tags
dutch star