Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2016, 01:48 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Help lost fuel cap

Hello
i have a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Spartan Chassis 370 cummins isl.
I left my fuel cap at previous fillup....still have 600 miles to go without a gas (diesel)cap. What should i do? Can i ride this way to my destination? Do i have any options. I do not know what size to ask for...i think...i think.it is a vented cap...thank you

IamGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2016, 01:51 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi IamGadget,
This should be corrected as soon as possible. Take the fuel cap on the other side to a local auto parts store. A NAPA store would be a good choice. They can match it up for you.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:48 PM   #3

I agree with Gary. I think you will find it is a Non Vented Cap. I just replaced both of mine last year. Not hard to find.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:48 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I agree with Gary. I think you will find it is a Non Vented Cap. I just replaced both of mine last year. Not hard to find.
thanks... I noticed it has 5 very small holes it the inside of the center of the cap. However tomorrow am I will call the closest NAPA and bring the other one to match up... I am in Kenly NC at the moment and will search the area.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:49 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi IamGadget,
This should be corrected as soon as possible. Take the fuel cap on the other side to a local auto parts store. A NAPA store would be a good choice. They can match it up for you.
will do...thanks
Old 03-27-2016, 07:37 PM   #6

Don't drive any farther than it takes to get to any auto parts store. A couple of years ago I forgot my fuel cap after fueling up. Was about a 1/2 hour down the road when I remembered I didn't put it back on after fueling. Thought, OK everything will be okay until I get to my planned destination 200 miles away. After arriving at the day's destination I found the side of coach without the fuel cap, the back of the coach AND the toad was coated in diesel fuel. I suspect the air rushing past the fuel inlet, even with the door closed, created a vacuum and pulled the diesel from the tank. MPG for that day was terrible and it took over 2 hours of washing and lots of soap to get the coach and toad presentable. At the time my fuel caps didn't have tethers and usually placed the fuel cap on the pump while filling. Now both of my fuel caps have tethers so they stay by the fuel inlet.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:10 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchstr3884 View Post
Don't drive any farther than it takes to get to any auto parts store. A couple of years ago I forgot my fuel cap after fueling up. Was about a 1/2 hour down the road when I remembered I didn't put it back on after fueling. Thought, OK everything will be okay until I get to my planned destination 200 miles away. After arriving at the day's destination I found the side of coach without the fuel cap, the back of the coach AND the toad was coated in diesel fuel. I suspect the air rushing past the fuel inlet, even with the door closed, created a vacuum and pulled the diesel from the tank. MPG for that day was terrible and it took over 2 hours of washing and lots of soap to get the coach and toad presentable. At the time my fuel caps didn't have tethers and usually placed the fuel cap on the pump while filling. Now both of my fuel caps have tethers so they stay by the fuel inlet.
Thank you...I plan on calling NAPA in the morning and will unhook my car to get the cap. Thanks again
Old 03-28-2016, 07:58 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamGadget View Post
thanks... I noticed it has 5 very small holes it the inside of the center of the cap. However tomorrow am I will call the closest NAPA and bring the other one to match up... I am in Kenly NC at the moment and will search the area.
The Cummins dealer is close to to you. Try any Pilot or Flying J truck stop, Cummins dealer, Freightliner dealer.

Duct Tape will work for a day or so if need be.
2018 DS DP 4369 #607121 Cummins ISL9 450 HP
"We are from, where ever we were yesterday"
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:45 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
The Cummins dealer is close to to you. Try any Pilot or Flying J truck stop, Cummins dealer, Freightliner dealer.

Duct Tape will work for a day or so if need be.
wow...I always have plenty of Gorilla tape on hand but did not think of that.
However flying J...did not have, cummins...did not have....Napa saved me.
went to napa thanks to the tip from this forum....I think Gary mentioned it...
Thank everyone....feels so good and comforting to know others are there to help
Old 03-29-2016, 08:46 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you...I plan on calling NAPA in the morning and will unhook my car to get the cap. Thanks again
Thank you...NAPA had it...I am back on the road...600 more miles to my destination
Old 03-29-2016, 08:49 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I hope this is the way to thank everyone...
NAPA had one.....Thank you all for your contributions
Old 03-29-2016, 09:40 AM   #12
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
I think most of us have done that before. I did it twice inside of a month. The first time, the trucker in line behind me ran me down before I could leave the truck stop. No such luck the second time. I didn't discover it missing until the following spring when I dewinterized.

The older I get the more empty gray matter I have.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:46 AM   #13

Quote:
I hope this is the way to thank everyone...

NAPA had one.....Thank you all for your contributions

Safe trip, keep the shiny side up...
Old 03-29-2016, 11:07 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I left one of my caps at a fuel stop and yes had diesel fuel all over the side of the motor home.. Took the remaining cap to an auto parts store. An old hand in the store took one look at it and told another to look up the number for a Ford diesel truck, about 1993 vintage. Guy brought out the identical cap. First time I lost one in nearly 20 years, but thinking maybe I should have bought two. Anyway "early to mid 90's ford diesel truck" would be a good place to start if the parts house needs a little help getting you a new one.
"

imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel