Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2017, 06:10 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Help me understand how to boondock with 110 volts

So I am going on a golf outing.
Taking my 2015 DSDP.
There's 8 of us so 6 staying in my friends house and me and another guy staying in my coach in my friends driveway with 110 power.
Realizing this isn't enough to run everything how should I handle energy needs.
It's in April in Savannah Ga so at most I'd need 1 AC unit at night.
Here's my plan tell me if I'm doing the correct thing.
1. Plug in 110 v to run things like refrig, and misc power when I am out for the day.
1a. Set power control panel to shore 15 amps.
2. Set AGS to turn gen on if batteries get down to 11.7 volts.
3. At night leave 110 plugged in but run generator overnight to support running of AC, lights and whatever else I need.
4. Use Oasis to heat water not electricity.
Any advice?..
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2017, 06:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golferdave78 View Post
So I am going on a golf outing.
Taking my 2015 DSDP.
There's 8 of us so 6 staying in my friends house and me and another guy staying in my coach in my friends driveway with 110 power.
Realizing this isn't enough to run everything how should I handle energy needs.
Here's my plan tell me if I'm doing the correct thing.
1. Plug in 110 v to run things like refrig, and misc power when I am out for the day.
1a. Set power control panel to shore 15 amps.
2. Set AGS to turn gen on if batteries get down to 11.7 volts.
3. At night leave 110 plugged in but run generator overnight to support running of AC, lights and whatever else I need.
4. Use Oasis to heat water not electricity.
Any advice?..
Thanks
Sounds like a plan.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:43 AM   #3

yes, the 120v outlet can generally handle the Fridge and the battery Charger, and possibly a few lights, device chargers, etc... especially if you move the ShoreMax setting down to 5amps instead.

When you come back for the evening, and need air conditioning, the generator will override the 120v outlet during that time - while the generator is running, move the ShoreMax setting back to 40a or 50a to really charge your batteries, so that the overnight hours will have plenty of battery supply, though the 120v outlet will probably prevent your generator AGS from ever kicking in, anyway.

The AGS Volts setting should probably be higher also, probably 12.0, just in case you lose shore power - 11.7 might be a little too low to crank the generator.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:20 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Have you tried connecting your coach to a 15A plug? Most outdoor plugs are GFCI protected. Even after changing the SHORE setting, I can't seem to successfully connect to a 15A GFCI plug. I have no problem connecting to a 20A non GFCI breaker at home.

Make sure you have a Plan B.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:36 AM   #5

"I can't seem to successfully connect to a 15A GFCI plug"

do you have an inline EMS surge protector system installed that might be problematic for GFCI? I know that some adapters, like the 50a to 30a/15a dogbones, also don't like the GFCI on the 15a side...

we've never had an issue using our 50a to 30a to 15a adapter, but we don't run an EMS either

but, if it is an issue you can't work around, go through a window or doorway in the home to get to a regular outlet - obviously a 100' extension cord is good to have for these situations... : )
Old 03-04-2017, 08:27 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another way to consider:

- Hook an extension line from the house to the RR only
- Set the AGS up to run with a starting voltage of ~ 12.0 volts (11.7 may be a little low to protect your batteries)
- Use generator to run A/C if needed

No other system changes needed -
Old 03-04-2017, 08:37 AM   #7

Many outside outlets are on 15 amp circuits.

If you can find a way in, use a kitchen, dinning room or washing machine outlet, it will usually be on a 20 amp circuit. They are wired that way for high amp appliances. The kitchen may have GFCI outlets but usually not the dinning room.

I do that at my Sons and Brothers house and can get away with running our single AC.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:38 AM   #8

After initial evening cool-down with AC, if consider using Fantastic Fans and open windows if outside temp is below 74 or so; less time on the generator, 15amp will handle all three fans fine.
Johnidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:50 AM   #9

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If you can find a way in, use a kitchen, dinning room or washing machine outlet, it will usually be on a 20 amp circuit. They are wired that way for high amp appliances. The kitchen may have GFCI outlets but usually not the dinning room. I do that at my Sons and Brothers house and can get away with running our single AC.
excellent advice, as I do this as well at my summer cabin where we have all 20amp breakers! it can run the A/C if needed without having to power up the generator.... just use a 20amp capable extension cord to prevent overheating...
Old 03-04-2017, 02:10 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
"I can't seem to successfully connect to a 15A GFCI plug"

do you have an inline EMS surge protector system installed that might be problematic for GFCI? I know that some adapters, like the 50a to 30a/15a dogbones, also don't like the GFCI on the 15a side...
My Progressive EMS is portable so I tried it w/o the EMS.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:38 PM   #11

I have found two things GIF outlet in our garage doesn't like when I plug the coach in. The refrigerator when on electric and the engine block heater. It's odd though, the GIF in the barn isn't nearly as sensitive and runs the refrigerator just fine.

On my last coach, it would trip any GiF outlet no matter what. After checking each circuit, I found one that was the problem child. After considerable troubleshooting, I found a long wood screw had penetrated one of the Romex cables shorting the ground and neutral wires. Once I removed the screw, all was well.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golferdave78 View Post
Are you using the AC for heat?

Check out these temps.

Savannah April Weather 2017 - AccuWeather Forecast for GA 31401
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:16 PM   #13
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Plugged into 110 at my in-laws right now. I set max VAC on inverter panel to 10 amp to account for loss on the extension cord. This keeps the batteries charged. Any time we exceed this ( microwave, coffee maker, etc) the inverter kicks in and provide the momentary added amps. Of course in Washington state we don't need AC.

On the AC, if you set a temp control on your AGS it will run the AC and shut off when temp is in range and reconnect to shore power to keep the batteries full. The power control system is a marvel on Newmars, but it does take a lot of study to understand how it works.

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee the last VTDP 3725
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:22 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
JMH.
Thanks for the advice
This may seem like a dumb question but need to ask
On AGS I usually set to 12 volts so when batteries run low Gen kicks on.
I have never used AGS temp control.
Is that for the inside temp or outside temp and where does AGS get the temperature reading from.
Seems like a great solution as I can manage small electrical usage with 110 and rely on Gen for A/C
Thanks