RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2019, 03:05 PM   #1

Help - New Ventana 4369 or 2014 King Aire?

I was going to buy a 2020 Ventana 4369, but just ran across a 2014 King Aire 4593with 29,000 miles on it. The cost to purchase is actually the same. I have put a deposit on the King Aire. I'm not sure if I am doing the right thing. I have owned a Dutch Star and Ventana LE, so I 'm not new to the diesel world. I had the Dutch Star 10 years with no major repairs - but as I look at the King Aire - I'm wondering what the cost is going to be to maintain it and I'm getting older - can I handle the everyday task?

I know the tires will cost around $7K to replace versus $5K on the Ventana. But is there a lot of other maintenance cost? It is an all electric unit - so it has 16 batteries versus 8 I think on the Ventana - so that is another $1k every 3 years or so.

The King Aire has the K3 chassis, 600 cummins, 4000 Allison, Vorad collision safety, the Hadley Air Ride on it plus many things you just can't get on the Ventana including the Silver Leaf system. It seems like a no brainer to me - but maybe I'm being to optimistic?

I'm looking for input from owners of both and owners who may have had both- which I know may be few - lols! The King Aire is the same interior as used to show it off in the Newmar video in 2014.

I appreciate the comments and help. I have to travel cross country in two weeks to pick up the King Aire - so I don't have a lot of time to change my mind.

Gamaliel Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2019, 03:22 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
My Silverleaf system has been great, they have excellent customer support, and they build quality products. Many on here love the Spartan Chassis with the MH4000 transmission. I would have it serviced, take fluid sample, and have them tell you the results of that sample. If the size is to your liking, and it was in excellent shape, I might seriously entertain the KA used, inlu of taking all that depreciation hit. FWIW-We are buying new because we get the best trade in for ours. And this one is our last one, as by the time it wears out, I will be too.

Realize that there will be things which need your attention or you pay someone to fix. Just depends on how much work you want to do on the KA. But make sure any recalls have been completed, get S/N of engine call Cummins, they will tell you. I also would have coolant changed and get sample of that as well to ensure DCA is within limits. Is floorplan to your liking?, or are you thinking change this or that, versus Ventana being perfect or laid out better? Remember you live inside. Tough Decision.

Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:07 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Is that the one with the salvage title? Battery compartment did not look right
1360W Solar, BattleBorn LiPo 800ah
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:02 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Given that there was a fire in the battery compartment, I would want a full inspection (by a qualified technician) of the frame rails, any system wiring/piping that runs through the area, the floor area above the battery compartment and the slide above it. Battery fires can be hot and heat can do some bad things.

This is one of those "deals" that might be great...or, the beginning of a long nightmare. I'd try to find out more about the fire (cause, duration, how extinguished, etc.) and the restoration work that has been done. Repainting the battery compartment and replacing the batteries may not be all that was needed...or done.

Good luck!

TJ
Old 06-09-2019, 06:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyinWP View Post
Is that the one with the salvage title? Battery compartment did not look right
Yes it is. I have the right to refuse it when I see it in person. I am told it has been inspected and has MOST things perfect. I am going to have a 4 year warranty put on the coach and the warranty company will send an inspector to check it before they accept the warranty. At $10K for the warranty, I feel like I am being protected. If it performs well for 4 years I would be pretty comfortable.

I looked at other coaches as to the batteries - I am no expert and only looked at photos, but nothing seemed out of line to me.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:13 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Looks to be a beautiful coach. Batteries look to be LA not AGM that came with coach. The tray rails look warped?
1360W Solar, BattleBorn LiPo 800ah
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rv'er View Post
My Silverleaf system has been great, they have excellent customer support, and they build quality products. Many on here love the Spartan Chassis with the MH4000 transmission. I would have it serviced, take fluid sample, and have them tell you the results of that sample. If the size is to your liking, and it was in excellent shape, I might seriously entertain the KA used, inlu of taking all that depreciation hit. FWIW-We are buying new because we get the best trade in for ours. And this one is our last one, as by the time it wears out, I will be too.

Realize that there will be things which need your attention or you pay someone to fix. Just depends on how much work you want to do on the KA. But make sure any recalls have been completed, get S/N of engine call Cummins, they will tell you. I also would have coolant changed and get sample of that as well to ensure DCA is within limits. Is floorplan to your liking?, or are you thinking change this or that, versus Ventana being perfect or laid out better? Remember you live inside. Tough Decision.
Thanks for suggestions I will make sure all fluid levels have been checked. I was told that they were being checked. I know the coach is having new oil, filters and of course batteries. The coach was driven, supposedly without issue, from Alabama to California "as was" before the repairs were made. Was told the coach performed great with only problems being windshield wipers not working properly - supposedly diagnosed as relay problem and new part on order for that.

I wish I was a mechanic or more mechanically inclined. But I owned a mountain master chassis for 10 years and put approximately 50,000 miles on it. Did absolutely nothing to it but fluid and battery changes. Seems to be an indestructible chassis.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyinWP View Post
Looks to be a beautiful coach. Batteries look to be LA not AGM that came with coach. The tray rails look warped?
I wasn't sure about the rails myself. I was and I am going to ask more about that tomorrow. Thanks for that pick up. As to batteries - I will see how well they perform. The dealership felt that the first was caused by the way Newmar linked the batteries. I looked at the video of the 2014 King Aire that Newmar put out and I wasn't impressed with the way they looked - but again I am no mechanic. The new ones seemed to be a better installation from the eye look and especially on insulation.

Thanks for the comments. I am hoping to hear from some King Aire and more upscale coach owners who have this chassis. I became a Newmar guy after two HR units - this will be my 4th Newmar - this being the first one purchased used.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:38 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
If the batteries are not AGM (and, in the photo, it doesn't look like they are), even though they are new, I would ask the seller to replace them with AGM. If he/she is not willing to do so, factor the cost of new AGMs into your final offer.

Lead-acid batteries are prone to outgassing and that may have been what caused the fire. They also foster corrosion. A coach like the King Aire should have AGMs.

TJ
Old 06-09-2019, 07:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamaliel Kid View Post
Yes it is. I have the right to refuse it when I see it in person. I am told it has been inspected and has MOST things perfect. I am going to have a 4 year warranty put on the coach and the warranty company will send an inspector to check it before they accept the warranty. At $10K for the warranty, I feel like I am being protected. If it performs well for 4 years I would be pretty comfortable.

I looked at other coaches as to the batteries - I am no expert and only looked at photos, but nothing seemed out of line to me.
I would have a private inspection the warranty inspector’s are a joke, also check with your insurance company and see if they will insure a salvage Title, Nationwide will not when I was looking at a salvage title car

Zzotte
Old 06-09-2019, 07:15 PM   #11

I guess my big question is if the coach ran fine and everything seems to be working fine and I must admit the battery tray and compartment look fine. Then why did the insurance company pay out hundreds of thousands of dollars on a claim instead of repairing it???
Greenbarn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbarn1 View Post
I guess my big question is if the coach ran fine and everything seems to be working fine and I must admit the battery tray and compartment look fine. Then why did the insurance company pay out hundreds of thousands of dollars on a claim instead of repairing it???
Greenbarn, as I understand it, the company paid for the coach, probably still a few hundred thousand for the coach to the insurance company. Thus the insurance company probably took a $250,000 loss in stead of a $450,000 loss or whatever value was agreed upon to the owner. I hope the owner of the coach might see this and enlighten me on the coach as well. I noticed one other thing that has me wondering. On all 2014 Coaches I saw, the King Aire name was on the front hood- on this coach it has the King Aire emblem- the same one found on the rear of the coach - I was told that the coach wasn't in an accident - so why does it have a different front emblem on it. I was also told the coach had not been in an accident. Another thing to follow up on for sure.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:33 PM   #13

Remember with the " Branded Title ", when it comes time to sell / trade, you are going to take a major $ hit.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:14 AM   #14

With a salvage title it will be difficult to insure. Also when it comes time to sell the sell price will take a Hugh hit.

Do yourself a favor and spend a grand on a good independent inspection.

I would not touch it with a ten foot pole.

Good luck.

Tags
air, vent, ventana