Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2017, 01:11 AM   #1

Help please...Potential purchase 2011 Canyon Star

Hello everyone,
We're looking at purchasing a used coach from a private seller and the inspector found some sealant issues and a/c damage while up on the roof. I'm new to RV'ing and not prepared to do the repairs myself (even though we have a good amount of YouTube time in).
Question: are these issues big enough to be a deal breaker? And does anyone know a ballpark figure I can expect from an RV repair shop? I don't want them to hang me out to dry. Should I ask the current owner to repair before purchase?
What is the norm in this situation?
Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171125-013144.png
Views:	41
Size:	855.6 KB
ID:	183865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171125-013152.png
Views:	45
Size:	720.7 KB
ID:	183866  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171125-013204.png
Views:	48
Size:	725.9 KB
ID:	183867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171125-013257.png
Views:	47
Size:	470.1 KB
ID:	183868  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2017, 07:03 AM   #2

Help plz...Potential purchase 2011 Canyon Star

First, the sealant. Pretty typical after a few years of heat and sun. Very simple repair with Dicor, some paint thinner and rags. RVGeeks has a good video on sealant repair and upkeep.

The A/C fins look like that is from the factory. Likely been like that since new unless the owner has been messing with it. If I recall mine have a few fins like this as well. I bought a fin straightener to fix mine but in the end not sure it makes a big difference.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:08 AM   #3

Calking the vent is no big issue. The best product is by Dicor. They have several self leveling caulk's on the market. A service center will probably charge you 1 to 2 hours to re-caulk the vents.
As far as the condenser fins, they can be straightened (they make a fin comb) that works just like a comb you use for your hair. In this case, unless the A/C unit isn't working I'd just leave it alone but again, you'd probably be charged 1 or 2 hours
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:02 AM   #4

There is a different sealant that Newmar suggests using around the plastic skylight. Its a Butyl sealant. I purchased this directly from Newmar while at the factory. Superbond SB-140 is the name on the tube.
StvC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:16 AM   #5

Skylight sealant is different. I would definitely get them to come down some for repairs.
pbucha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbucha View Post
Skylight sealant is different. I would definitely get them to come down some for repairs.
That all depends what price they have already negotiated for. Those are simple repairs and if the AC's are working fine, like other's said I wouldn't mess with it. If I was the seller and had already negotiated a good price with them and everything else was in great condition, I would tell them the price was firm if they start nitpicking things that are basic maintenance. So to the OP it really depends what the overall condition is but those two things would not scare me away if everything else is in great shape, and they have documented normal maintenance and any significant repairs.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:08 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes on the SB140--I got it directly from Newmar along with a new skylight (just the lesson not the frame). This is AFTER I paid a Newmar dealer in SW FL to d it after I bought from a private owner. A couple months later sitting in thenTetons I hear water raining down in the shower. I get up and it is pouring in around the inner skylight fascia lemon. I taped a tarp up until I got the new lesson and sealant from Newmar. I watched the YouTube video on how to replace skylight by the RVGeeks--it was easy to understand. When I went to remove the old chalking it all peeled off in one piece like lifting a rubber bath mat. The dealer had used silicone!!! In between the great leak and the repair I removed the inner lemon, pulled out all wet insulation and ran a space heater and small fan constantly to dry it all out. The repair is easy to do just follow the video of rvgeeks. Use the proper materials and be careful what you use to clean with--lexon doesn't react well with some cleaning solvents, especially acetone. You really have no idea how bad the leak has been until you remove the inner skylight and check for water damage in the roof area.
Tetonchief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:39 AM   #8

Would you all think the butyl around the skylight is cracked enough to cause leaks? Should I request the owner have a certified technician pull the whole thing out and replace it?
Old 11-26-2017, 10:50 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2.
A link to help you get around irv2.
This is a link to all the tsb's for your coach, recalls, brochure, owners guide and other important info.

All the links below in my signature have information for your Newmar.

The dealer used the wrong sealant to begin with so do not use him again, the sealant Newmar gave you should be correct.
Here is what your Newmar uses and added info to do right.
Enjoy the forum and safe travels.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
canyon star, purchase, roof sealant