Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2019, 06:20 PM   #1

Help radio quit working.

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire. The radio stopped working and cant figure out why. I took the radio out and had it checked it works just fine. Found that the plug that goes into the back of the radio has a red wire which is hot all the time. It also has a yellow wire that is supposed to be hot when the key is turned on. So the red wire does have power, but the yellow wire doesn't have power when the key is turned on. I checked all the fuses and they are all good. Any one know what could be going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Milan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2019, 06:28 PM   #2

I would follow the yellow wire back to the switch, and check if the terminal on the switch that has the yellow wire is 'hot' when the switch is turned on, it could a 'early warning sign' that the switch is about to 'buy the farm'.
Mr Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:01 PM   #3

Its hard to follow the wire its in a bundle of wires. The best I can tell it runs into a plug that's on a circuit board under the dash on the drivers side with other fuses.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:48 PM   #4

Ain't there some fuses in the electrical bay that are for the radio, LH rear bay just ahead of side radiator. 5 amp if I remember
Old 03-03-2019, 11:17 AM   #5

There are 2 fuses for the radio. One in the back of the coach where the circuit breaker box is, the other under the dash driver side. Both check good. I replaced both just in case. Still no power to the yellow wire. This is weird.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:05 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would turn the ignition to ACC and check for power and then turn the coach to IGN and see if there is power. If you have power in one of those directions, it will tell you your ignition switch has an issue. Eliminate that first.

If that's not the issue and you can't find a fuse, it may be much faster to find another ignition source, add a fuse and a new wire. My last three coaches, the radio was powered on all the time. You had to manually turn it off when stopped. This allows you to use the radio, while camping, without having to have the key on. You can do this by wiring the yellow with the red.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:33 PM   #7

Radio may be powered by house batteries. Is Use / Store switch on ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:49 PM   #8

HI ,just incase-check the black ground wier also.is it a basic CB radio?? fyi if its a COBRA or RADIO shack ! you can buy another plug for the back of the radio , and then you can take the radio out and jump it direct to the batt. with the other pitail!
THOMAS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:56 PM   #9

So couldn't find why there was no power to the yellow wire. Finally gave up looking and did as suggested and found another hot wire and tapped into it. The radio now works. Thanks to everybody for their suggestions.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan15 View Post
So couldn't find why there was no power to the yellow wire. Finally gave up looking and did as suggested and found another hot wire and tapped into it. The radio now works. Thanks to everybody for their suggestions.
I don't believe that yellow wire is wired to a switched 12v source as it was supposed to be. I think Newmar wired it to 12v constant power so that you can use the radio with the ignition switched off. I shorted that wire by accident when installing a new radio and was never able to find the fuse for it. Newmar customer service was no help either. I did the same thing you did and just used another 12v power source.
mgtibb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio