RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2019, 06:43 PM   #1

HELP! Slide out stuck

Hi,

Front driver side slide is stuck out. We have to be gone from this regional park before they close in a couple hours. Been trying for the last 6+ hours to find a mobile tech to help but nobody seems to work on a Saturday, or they're busy.

The slide was moving in about 4". Then stopping, nothing moving. I pulled out the manual and looked how to manually retract it. I followed the instructions (center mounted motor, K900). The bolt was very tight. I managed to give it a couple turns, but I didn't push it.

Now, there is an almighty grinding sound when trying to get the slide in using the usual manner (power switch above the entrance).

If anyone can walk me through it or explain what I need to do, or have a video? Any help greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2019, 07:12 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Sounds like the drive gear got stuck and the grinding was probably the teeth coming off the drive gear. May have to manually push the whole thing in with whatever the manual says to do in a power failure or emergency situation.

Old 10-20-2019, 11:03 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Kind of late if you have not figured it out need to release the torque nuts
bushings and with much help from people you have to push slide up ramp and close slide.
This link will have other slide issues.
Good luck.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:10 AM   #4

You need a 1 1/2 in wrench to loosen the torque shaft. A crow foot 1 1/2 makes the job easier but most of the time can be done with regular wrench. Once the large nut is lose then the slide out can be moved by hand. Will need at least 2 to 4 people to push it in.
With our Essex with the big front slide and a flat floor it was 4 people to get it up over the incline and once on flat floor a lot easier. Might put a 2 by 4 or some other item so slide out doesn't come back out when driving. Hope this helps.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:35 PM   #5

Late, but mine was out this morning and no power to the switch. With about an hour until checkout. 15 minutes of test lighting and fuse checking, no dice. Gave up. Tried to release the shaft nut per the book but it only made a half turn and wouldn't cooperate further. Scratched head a minute and pulled the motor off the gearbox. That let me crank it on in by wrench on the shaft. My '93 has the motor and gearbox all the way at the front end of the driveshaft if that matters.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:25 PM   #6

Still stuck. We were granted exceptional permission to stay because finding mobile tech on weekend is impossible.

I’m unable to budge the torque but bushing even by 1 mm. No go.

Center mounted motor. Not easy to remove.

In the meantime, we’re out of fresh water. Black and grey tanks full to the gills. Propane getting low. We just want to get our of here. I’m admitting that I’m probably out of my depth! But still trying!
Old 10-20-2019, 08:52 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You need some wrench's to get the torque bushings loose on both sides of motor, if the gear box gears are broken your not going to more that slide, you need four to five people to push slide closed.
The link I gave you explains the torque bushings on the shaft both sides of motor.
If you have a heavy hammer and with a brick or large stone you maybe able to brake the torque bushings, do not just hit with hammer put something behind the nut so the hammer is putting all force to nut, no need to damage the drive shaft.
As you can see here the bushings can brake.

Release torque bushings ---- READ PAGE 8:6 of this Owners Guide.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:06 PM   #8

Got it done. Finally an RV tech showed up. Between that and a call to Newmar, we were able to remove the entire motor and gearbox. Turns out the motor was seized. I was able to get the slide in using a pipe wrench on the shaft (we didn't have access to lots of strong people). Used 2"x4" to wedge the slide in place and were able to move to our camping spot (full hook ups) for the next few weeks. Time enough to get a new part from Newmar and get it installed.

thank you everyone for the information. Very helpful stuff
Old 10-22-2019, 08:04 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good work vavroom, good to see your settled in new location.
The large sticky I gave you has many slide situations that may cause you trouble, most of you slides should just be checked for what could be a problem and corrected, that year should be close to OK its the motor mounting bolts and nuts that might a problem, things loosen up from road vibrations, electrical items also all covered in link.
Tough situation to start learning the goings on of a Newmar, hope you can relax and enjoy what you have, safe travels.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:05 PM   #10

Good chance the motor bolts came lose and let the motor walk around which jammed the gears. When repaired make sure the 4 bolts that hold motor to slide out assembly at least with Lock-Tight on bolts. Would add to check the rest of the slide motors bolts are tight which is 35 ft. lbs. Again Lock-Tight on all of these bolts.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 03:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vavroom View Post
Got it done. Finally an RV tech showed up. Between that and a call to Newmar, we were able to remove the entire motor and gearbox. Turns out the motor was seized. I was able to get the slide in using a pipe wrench on the shaft (we didn't have access to lots of strong people). Used 2"x4" to wedge the slide in place and were able to move to our camping spot (full hook ups) for the next few weeks. Time enough to get a new part from Newmar and get it installed.

thank you everyone for the information. Very helpful stuff
On one of our first trips with the DS, we had a slide out break while in the out position. Fortunately the campground handy man had a 1 1/2 wrench that he let me borrow and I rounded up a few guys to help push it in. As soon as I got home I bought an 1 1/2 crowsfoot wrench, large breaker bar and pipe wrench to put in my tool box so that if/when it happens again, I can at least address it myself and get back on the road.

Tags
slide, slide out