Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2018, 09:01 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to OldHiker Send a message via Yahoo to OldHiker
Help! Steps won't open!

Just parked for the night in a big box store lot. When I park for the night in a store, truck stop or rest stop, I never leave the steps out. Never had an issue before, but after opening the door several times, the steps stopped coming out. Checked both fuses in the fuse panel on the driver's side, both appear good.

What else can I check? It's hard climbing in and out, especially bringing my little dog out as he freaks out when I take him down.

HELP!
OldHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2018, 09:16 PM   #2

I had a similar problem on my old MH with Kwikee steps. Checked power to steps, and magnetic switch operation--both good. Wound up closing the door, giving a good, hard tug on the bottom step, opened the door, and they opened.

This became an intermittent problem even though I thoroughly lubed all parts of the mechanism well. Sometimes the pull on the step wouldn't work so I used a large adjustable wrench to twist the square bar, under the steps, that rotates when the mechanism works. The bar doesn't twist with the wrench, but just that force on the bar would always cause the steps to work once again.

Your steps may be different, but try the tug just to see. Then check if there is power to the step controller and if the magnetic door switch works. Several possibilities for failure. A little light banging of the motor with a wrench also can help.

Simple solution is a stuck mechanism that shuts down the controller, as if the steps hit an obstacle. More complicated is a bad switch, bad controller, or bad motor. All, however, are relatively easy to repair.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:28 PM   #3

My steps failed a year ago after a day of traveling in the rain. I troubleshot the problem and concluded the controller failed and burned up the motor. I had to replace both.

As for what to check, use a voltmeter to trace the power to the controller and then to the motor. this might be a task for an RV tech.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:41 PM   #4

Three fuses in my system, other possibles are bad lock out switch or door switch.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kwikee troubleshooting.pdf (392.4 KB, 465 views)
Old 04-16-2018, 09:43 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you ever lubricated your steps?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:46 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to OldHiker Send a message via Yahoo to OldHiker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Have you ever lubricated your steps?
Some dry lube several years ago. What is the "magnetic door latch?" Is that on the door jam?
OldHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:10 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You asked "What is the "magnetic door latch?" Is that on the door jam?"

Yes it's on the jam somewhere but on mine it's not visible. It senses when the door is opened or closed.

I lube my steps at least once a year with spray-on lithium grease. Dry lube, in my opinion, is worthless for steps.

The power for my steps comes from my engine battery and if I have it disconnected or it is run down then my steps won't operate.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:00 PM   #8

Door switch senses door open and extends stairs.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:02 PM   #9

I leave over ride switch so stairs stay out so long as engine is off.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:24 AM   #10

OldHiker-

In addition to wires and fuses, there are four components in the electric side of most steps:

Motor
Controller
Switch
Door-open sensor

Any of the four could cause the symptom.

It pays to have the circuit diagram for your coach, in case there are fuses that are not apparent. For instance, in our coach, there are three fuses in the step circuits, of which only two are reasonably easy to figure out by their labels.

It also helps to have the manual for your steps handy. The manual for our coach's steps contains troubleshooting procedures. What make and model are your coach's steps, anyway?

I know this advice is not immediately helpful, so here is something that may be: When our coach's step action became intermittent, we traced it down to a poor ground connection from the green ground wire to the steps themselves (there are two ground wires; one attaches to the steps, the second to the frame of the coach). We cleaned the ground and the steps worked reliably. This is an easy "fix" and is something you can do without circuit diagrams or step manual(s).
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:20 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can also check your ignition switch. There is a wire to sense when the ignition is on to retract steps when engine is running.
jporietis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:32 AM   #12

I had this problem last week before a trip. Started trouble shooting and found connection (plug) at step motor was loose. unplugged the motor and after I plugged it back in they worked (connection is hard to reach on my Dutch Star). Caution!! make sure you disconnect power and keep your body from under the steps as they could crush you if you are under them when they work.
rbolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:32 AM   #13

On my Entegra I had three fuses for the steps, two outside in the chassis fuse compartment and one inside in the bathroom. Check inside fuses if you haven’t already.

Mark
Old 04-18-2018, 09:31 AM   #14

I encountered the same problem on my 2018 DSDP. After exploring many of the suggestions that have been previously noted I crawled under the coach to have a closer look. I found a wire, I believe it was purple, That was connected to the frame. This turned out to be a ground for the motor. I removed the screw, cleaned up the rust and road grime that had accumulated. I then put a little dielectric grease on the contact points a reassembled. Steps have worked like a champ ever since. Good luck, the troubleshooting can get frustrating at times. This forum has a lot of people that have trouble shooter virtually everything. You are in the right place to get your problem solved.

Tags
steps