Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2015, 09:02 AM   #1

Help! Why so darn many keys???

Hello everyone!

We Love our 2015 Newmar Canyon Star up here in Washington State.

I have just one question... Why so many keys? Better yet and can anyone tell me what they are for?
Especially the little black FIC and square key?
Lasty, can the two cabin keys be commonly keyed between the front and back doors so that I can eliminate one set of door keys?...

thanks

Eva

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1990 (3).jpg
Views:	96
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	110656

Evas Hawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2015, 09:20 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Help! Why so darn many keys???

The large square is for the deadbolt on your door. It is uniquely keyed. It is gold colored. The smaller gold-colored key is for the door handle. It is common amongst most Newmar MH.

These two keys are from the same type of lock, but the lock seems to be opposite of each other in entry method for the key. I do not think these can be keyed alike.

The small square silver key is for the basement doors. It is a completely different lock.

unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:47 AM   #3

As said above, the big round top is the deadbolt key. the smaller round key is the door key. The little square top key is for the lower compartment locks, and the last ones are for the ignition.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:52 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
if it is similar to my coach, i have the two keys for the door as mentioned, My Door handle key also works my basement doors but then i have a key for the front hood, a key for the entertainment system. Those are all different, then throw in the key for the bikes on the bike rack

And oh -- the entertainment key only works one way for lock or unlock but can go in either way
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 02:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by unw1red View Post
The large square is for the deadbolt on your door. It is uniquely keyed. It is gold colored. The smaller gold-colored key is for the door handle. It is common amongst most Newmar MH.

These two keys are from the same type of lock, but the lock seems to be opposite of each other in entry method for the key. I do not think these can be keyed alike.

The small square silver key is for the basement doors. It is a completely different lock.
Thanks so much!

I ended up calling NEWMAR and asking if the cabin doors could be keyed alike.....answer... not so much.

The FIC key is indeed for the basement doors... AND I found out the extra "Global Link" key is for the entertainment door to my television and stereo... Whoda thunk?!?!

Soooooo darn many keys!

Eva
Old 10-29-2015, 02:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Dean View Post
if it is similar to my coach, i have the two keys for the door as mentioned, My Door handle key also works my basement doors but then i have a key for the front hood, a key for the entertainment system. Those are all different, then throw in the key for the bikes on the bike rack

And oh -- the entertainment key only works one way for lock or unlock but can go in either way
Wow... okay, I will stop complaining.....

thanks for the note!

Eva
Old 10-29-2015, 04:24 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
That's a lot of keys! I'm thankful we only have four.

I've always wondered why have the non-deadbolt exterior door lock. Why not just have the deadbolt and be done?

When we're traveling, I just take the deadbolt and storage bay keys with me. The others I leave hidden in the coach. Given that I've never heard once of thieves breaking into a coach in a campground AND finding keys and stealing the rig, I figure it's a reasonable risk.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:47 PM   #8

The little round key can be opened with master keys that any dealer/tech has. The dead bolt is specific to your motorhome. No dealer/tech can open it. This was explanation i received from my delivery tech.

avid
2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:01 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had a bunch of keys for the '02 DSDP too. Didn't take long before we got them all figured out by just trying them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:08 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Makes me feel inadequate or good, not sure which. Ignition key fits door, bays and entertainment center. One extra key for deadbolt.

I think I have key envy!! LOL
Old 10-29-2015, 11:03 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I don't think anyone mentioned yet that the little gold key is for the lock on the garage door ramp - this is the hardest key to use, it always takes me a while to lock it.

I guess this means there are at least two 3920's in WA state!
Old 10-29-2015, 11:12 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Eva.....yeah...there are always soooo many keys. Eventually, you'll whittle down some of the ones you rarely use and can just leave them in the coach. I just try to carry the ignition key and one door key with me. The others, I leave on a separate ring, just inside the door for easy access when needed.

I also hide a main door key on the outside of the coach in case I lose a key or my wife comes back and I'm not around, like while on a hike.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:15 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Also I bet you can have the front and back doors use the same two keys. I would think a locksmith can rekey them or just replace the lock cylinders on one door to match the other. I need to do this to mine - two less keys would be nice!
Old 10-30-2015, 10:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCosio View Post
I don't think anyone mentioned yet that the little gold key is for the lock on the garage door ramp - this is the hardest key to use, it always takes me a while to lock it.

I guess this means there are at least two 3920's in WA state!
Hey MrCosio

Thanks for the note. I've pretty much figured out the maze of keys now and have made an emergency spare.

Love my 3920 and maybe we'll see you around someday!

Eva