Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2017, 02:02 PM   #1

Help with a 2014 canyon star and engine nonstart

Hello All.

Looking for some advice to resolve our starting problem. We just brought the RV back from the Factory the end of March and it has been stored inside and plug in to a 50amp and used for Guest Purposes. We tried to start the Engine today and it is completely dead. The Cummins Gas Generator is working and doing a monthly maintenance run with it but the engine will not turn over. We had Batteries replaced by Newmar because we had a similar problem after our Hail Damage to the Coach and had to stop each evening and plug in to keep the Coach going on our way to Indiana. We drove home with no problems and now trying to run the engine we have no battery power. The Battery Booster will not work either. Any suggestions?
Spiderwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2017, 04:37 PM   #2

First I'd try to charge the battery with a battery charger. Secondly, I'd have the battery tested for a bad cell. If the battery tests show that the battery is good, then there is a good chance something is draining the battery while it's stored.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:19 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You could have a bad B.I.R.D and/or battery charge relay. I had to replace mine as the relay was stuck open. When on shore power my chassis battery would drain dead. Newmar can send you the test procedure for this via email. It was easy enough for me to figure it out but to be safe I had a mobile tech come do the installation. They change the relay switch since my original so the new one needed some finesse to get it hooked up.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:56 AM   #4

Thanks for the info and keep the suggestions coming

Thanks for the info. Will try your suggestions and for any other Forum members who have had similar issues please continue to provide suggestions.
Spiderwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:58 AM   #5

Also, you need to realize that the battery boost button simply connects the chassis and house batteries together. You will need to hold the switch down to allow power to go from one bank to the other. Momentarily holding the battery boost button, isn't enough.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:34 AM   #6

We had the same issue with ours last year. At first it seemed that my whole electrical system was out of whack as once I got the battery charged enough to start the engine, it didn't show the correct readings while charging on any of the sources. Then once shut down the chassis battery would drain, in a matter of 30 minutes, too low to start the engine. The house batteries held a little better, but using the battery boost did nothing. I like to start with the simplest thing first so I replace the chassis battery. I found the same exact battery at Costco for $89, and it has a 48 month replacement warranty no matter what vehicle you put it in. Once I replaced the chassis battery, all the systems returned to normal, charged at the correct levels from all sources, and the float levels were back to the original levels. That was over a year ago with no further battery issues. Our battery was only two years old at the time, but even though we bought our MH new you never know how the batteries were maintained prior to the purchase.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:41 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A check of charging system can be done by putting a meter on the battery with charging disabled. Then enable charging. You should see an increase of about 1 volt. If no change, not charging.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine