Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2014, 02:58 PM   #1

Help with Adding Additional House Batteries to 2010 DSDP

Hey guys/gals,

Just closed on our 'new to us' 2010 DSDP 4333 this week, and have already started thinking about upgrades...

The coach has set of 4 6v house batteries that are 10 months old on the stock slideout battery tray.

Additionally, I have another set of 4 6v batteries out our old 5th wheel which I held onto. These are also 10 months old, so I'm assuming the 2 sets should play well together. Additionally, these batteries are in a sealed century plastics battery box, Century Plastics: White Heavy Duty Battery Box - (part#: GCQ-G) We plan to do some extended dry camping, so this seems like a no-brainer assuming installation isn't too challenging.

I wanted to see if anyone else has added additional batteries to their coach, where they are installed, and any considerations needed such as venting, wiring, etc.

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2014, 04:28 PM   #2

I presume you have wet cell lead acid batts. If so there are two issues here.

First, finding a properly vented storage area that is sized for the 4 additional batts. Adequate size cables for routed for safe use.

Second, although the two sets of batts are the same age, are they the same make and model? Did they have the same use/treatment over their lifespan? I think I would use them as two isolated sets of batts.

The question becomes, is "doing some drycamping" worth the cost, weight, hassle, and loss of storage space, of the project?
All the best with your new rig!
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
I presume you have wet cell lead acid batts. If so there are two issues here.

First, finding a properly vented storage area that is sized for the 4 additional batts. Adequate size cables for routed for safe use.

Second, although the two sets of batts are the same age, are they the same make and model? Did they have the same use/treatment over their lifespan? I think I would use them as two isolated sets of batts.

The question becomes, is "doing some drycamping" worth the cost, weight, hassle, and loss of storage space, of the project?
All the best with your new rig!
Correct, they are wet cell batteries.

And you are right, the batteries may have had different treatment over the last 11 months. Both sets are GC2 size, but different labels (1 Interstate, 1 Costco) but I wouldn't be surprised if they are made by the same manufacturer (I believe Deka makes most of them).

The major cost of the batteries & box are already sunk, so I figured I might as well explore the option rather than taking pennies on the dollar selling used batteries.

I did some research on the newer "all electric" Dutch Stars, and it looks like they moved the batteries up to the front of the coach in place of the propane tank that is not present on those models. This isn't an option at this point, so it looks like I'd need to install the batteries/box in the closest luggage compartment with vent hoses to the outside.

What items would be needed to split the batteries into 2 separate banks?

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2014, 06:01 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You may want to take a look at these links in this sticky.
Congrats on your new Newmar many safe travels in it and here is a Brochure and Owners Guide for you coach.
In my signature there are three links that will relate to your Newmar also.
Good luck with your project.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:21 PM   #5

I own a 2010 dsdp 4386 and found out there is a recall on the front brake air chambers. Check the air chamber mounting brackets as mine were bent causing the Clevis to break off the chamber shaft. Having it fixed tomorrow.
dutchstar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:38 PM   #6
KIX

Hi Spencer. WE don't have a Newmar but your questions aren't really brand specific anyway. Some things to think about........
Your gen will last longer with regular use
You will have to run your gen for considerable time to re-charge eight 6v
We have four 6v house bank and res. reefer. I can run 26 hrs with all other loads off.
You'll lose some storage space in an area that's easy to get to (watering the batts)
If you're going to install them use welding cable
When time to replace you just doubled your expense

All the above are the thoughts we went through considering increasing house bank. Hope this helps you.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";1986051]You may want to take a [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/technical-info-links-28855.html
look at these links[/URL][/B] in this sticky.
Congrats on your new Newmar many safe travels in it and here is a Brochure and Owners Guide for you coach.
In my signature there are three links that will relate to your Newmar also.
Good luck with your project.
Thanks! Very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchstar10 View Post
I own a 2010 dsdp 4386 and found out there is a recall on the front brake air chambers. Check the air chamber mounting brackets as mine were bent causing the Clevis to break off the chamber shaft. Having it fixed tomorrow.
Appreciate the heads up. I purchased it from a Newmar dealer who claimed to check on any outstanding recalls, but worth double checking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Hi Spencer. WE don't have a Newmar but your questions aren't really brand specific anyway. Some things to think about........
Your gen will last longer with regular use
You will have to run your gen for considerable time to re-charge eight 6v
We have four 6v house bank and res. reefer. I can run 26 hrs with all other loads off.
You'll lose some storage space in an area that's easy to get to (watering the batts)
If you're going to install them use welding cable
When time to replace you just doubled your expense

All the above are the thoughts we went through considering increasing house bank. Hope this helps you.
Good points. There are definitely some negatives to the added batteries, and honestly, I wouldn't be considering this if I didn't have the entire 2nd bank/box/wiring already from my previous RV. At some point, I'd like to have a medium sized solar system on top of the battery bank, but that is at least 6 months out (not enough boondocking opportunities on the East Coast).

At this point, it looks like the batteries will eat into the storage capacity which might be a deal breaker depending on how the full "move in" goes over the weekend. I was hoping someone knew of a "secret spot" to install these babies...
Old 03-27-2014, 07:27 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
We added four GC2 batteries to our coach. Found an underneath cavity between the curb- and street-side slides immediately in front of the rear differential. In my coach, this cavity is right between the factory battery trays (curb-side) and the electrical compartment with the xfer switch, inverter, etc. (street-side), so positioning was perfect for wiring. Metal shop built a new battery tray for the space -- it is mounted to the chassis frame from the top. Added weight is center and low. Don't have pictures, but I will be at the coach in the next week or two and could get some. Just an idea. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:31 PM   #9

I applaud the concept of re-using your existing similar batteries. I would do the same. I would also plan for solar charging and plan battery location for minimum wiring to panels. If not solar charged, I think a second charger would be needed. This makes me wonder about some type of transfer switch for dual battery packs and multiple charging sources. Lots of engineering to do but I think the payoff would be better boondocking capability.

I would think you would need to put a battery back in 5th wheel. Maybe one 12v deep cycle.
MJ56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:41 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Spencer.....I'm a new Newmar owner and have been messing around with various things and looking to see where everything is at. One of the things I discovered was that depending on the length and all electric vs propane coach, the batteries are in different spots.

My unit has a residential refer and Oasis heating so I think the only difference between my coach and an all electric coach is that I have a propane stove top. On mine they only installed 6 coach batteries. If you have a propane water heater and furnace, there is probably even less need for 8 batteries (overkill).

I'll get to the point.....my slide tray holds six batteries and they use the space all the way to the frame rail. If your battery tray is similar, you should have room for two more batteries.

If yours is different, think outside of the box. On my Monaco, I had a tall battery bay and welded in a shelf and moved two batteries up above the others. I think Kix brought up some great points and I wouldn't necessarily add all eight batteries just because you have them.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries