Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2019, 10:11 AM   #1

Help with ceiling repair 2003 Dutch Star

I got nowhere using search. Anyone know of a thread on this subject? Thanks
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2019, 01:19 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not to many repair their ceilings, what exactly is wrong with the ceiling, not much in this search either.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 04:12 AM   #3

Thanksgiving morning, and it takes me a long time to compose the details that explain the what/why of my DS ceiling problem. I started this thread, so I feel I owe the explanation. I'll find the time, but not right away, too busy right now. Thanks
Old 11-28-2019, 01:15 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I will predicate this discussion that: Newmar sells the the 4 feet by 8 feet ceiling panels. Do not remember the price. ($275.00 is best guess) Newmar uses Silkaflex to adhere ceiling panels to aluminium cross bars in ceiling.
I tried to do a whole panel at first, but in the end, cut the panel in half to complete repair due to lack of skill and tools. (Yes, have an extra seem now) As luck would have it, it was the toughest panel to cut and replace in coach. Newmar wanted close to a $1000.00 for panel and repair.
Lots of secondary task besides panel, like possibly repairing insulation, cutting holes in panel for lights and ducts for heat pumps etc.
Used two by fours cut in inside coach height with plywood caps to hold ceiling tile in place while Silkaflex on back of panel dried overnight
I do not know if I would ever tackle this repair again, regardless of savings by doing it myself.
Hope this help as a start!
Old 11-30-2019, 08:01 AM   #5

Thank you for the valuable information. I have not not finished my long explanation of my exact situation, regarding the ceiling and the roof problems with my Dutch Star. I'm doing it on Microsoft Word.
One thing that I found out, is that holding the ceiling panels up with adhesive is problematic whenever there is rainwater intrusion, because the first material in the ceiling panel laminate is PAPER. This means that the effectiveness of the factory adhesive FAILS if this paper gets WET. After everything dries, if you "jack up" the sagging ceiling, and try to fix it by applying new adhesive, you find that the paper is partly dissolved and separated from the foam insulation of the ceiling panel/laminate. This means you need to find adhesive/caulk that will not "melt" styrofoam. There's a lot more to say about all this.
At this point, I have learned from you that the whole thing is not designed to be repairable by DIY people like myself. Suspicions confirmed.
It could even be that the cabinets and a couple of short interior walls will neeed to be removed, in order to install a few of these ceiling panels. A trip to the factory might be the only way.
Thanks again, I really appreciate the information.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:32 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
No need to explain, your signature would help us and hope you had a good turkey day with family that is what counts.
Looks like the roof needs to be corrected for the leaks or new ceiling is for not.
This link has the roof information you will need if its repairable, if not than you need this one or this one. All found in QT's 1 & 2.
And for everything else in your coach you need this one.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:35 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Dancer View Post
Thank you for the valuable information. I have not not finished my long explanation of my exact situation, regarding the ceiling and the roof problems with my Dutch Star. I'm doing it on Microsoft Word.
One thing that I found out, is that holding the ceiling panels up with adhesive is problematic whenever there is rainwater intrusion, because the first material in the ceiling panel laminate is PAPER. This means that the effectiveness of the factory adhesive FAILS if this paper gets WET. After everything dries, if you "jack up" the sagging ceiling, and try to fix it by applying new adhesive, you find that the paper is partly dissolved and separated from the foam insulation of the ceiling panel/laminate. This means you need to find adhesive/caulk that will not "melt" styrofoam. There's a lot more to say about all this.
At this point, I have learned from you that the whole thing is not designed to be repairable by DIY people like myself. Suspicions confirmed.
It could even be that the cabinets and a couple of short interior walls will neeed to be removed, in order to install a few of these ceiling panels. A trip to the factory might be the only way.
Thanks again, I really appreciate the information.

Not sure where you’re located, but you might call Superior RV Roofing in Marionville, Missouri. I had them do a full roof replacement on my 2010 Ventana 4333 this past June. They did a great job. While there he showed me other work he had done on refurbishing interiors of older coaches. They looked great.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:58 AM   #8

Yes, by all means, the roof and the mounting/sealing of the air conditioning units, shall be modified and repaired to my satisfaction PRIOR to starting on fixing the ceiling. Thanks

Tags
air, ceiling, dutch star, repair