Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2014, 07:52 PM   #1
Zak

Help with mirror position

My mirror on DS seems placed funny from the dealer. See pic. Shouldn't it be out in front of the coach like the ps one?? Or, is it supposed to be back along side of the coach to make viewing out the side window easier?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	65242  
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2014, 08:00 PM   #2

Yep, I would also think that the Passenger side should be out in front more, too.
, but that could just be the angle that the picture was taken. If the driver's side mirror works for you where it is, then OK. But normally, the mirrors with the long arms are positioned out in front so you are looking thru the windshield and not the driver's side window.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:12 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
My driver side mirror on my 2012 Ventana is just like yours. I also questioned why it wasn't out front like the passenger side but I can see fine out of it so I guess it is positioned correctly.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:13 PM   #4
Zak

How does one adjust them? Looks like there is a cap in the bottom that may conceal a hex bolt or something?
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:44 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My '02 DS has the long arms too, but my driver side mirror is set to the front. Either position will work, it's just your preference. I prefer the front position. I can check the mirror with just a flick of the eyes- no head turn.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:49 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If they are Ramco mirrors here is the adjustment.
Their web site.
These links found in QT's # 3. with a bunch of other stuff.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:01 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My mirror is just like yours and I am leaving it that way because I go through many toll booths where I am and with the mirror as is I find it very easy to judge my distance between where I am and what I might hit going through tight booth lanes. If the mirror were sticking out more I think it would be trouble for me.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:37 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Having the mirror up against the side window avoids the potential glare that I experienced having the mirror in the forward position. If it works for you then consider leaving it that way.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:13 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My previous coach had long arms on both mirrors and were out in front of the windshield. I was not a big fan of the two length mirror arms because they don't look symmetrical. I was going to buy the longer arm for the driver's side so they would look even. Before I did, I mocked up an arm and mirror out of cardboard to see if it would work. I found there was a reason for the short arm, the long arm puts the mirror in the middle of the "A" pillar and it can't be seen.

I stayed with the short arm, but rotated the mirror and arm forward. I didn't like it rotated back because the joint in the middle of the window interfered with my view. Remove the cap on the bottom of the mirror support and use a socket wrench to loosen the bolt. This will allow you to rotate the mirror and arm forward.

Once the mirror is moved up, there are two allen screws on the mirror head. Loosen both of these and rotate the mirror around to the correct position. I like to make sure my mirrors are straight up and down from all angles.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:35 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
The mirrors need to be where ever they allow you to see down the side of the coach as well as the lane next to you.

I had to adjust ours after taking delivery, can't imagine how or why the factory thought where they left them was acceptable. The right (passenger) side had to be moved forward so it could be seen through the windshield. The only other option would have had it so far back, to be viewed through the entry door window, it would interfere with the opening of the door. The factory had it placed so 1/2 of it was blocked by the windshield pillar.

The left (driver) side mirror was too far forward making it difficult to see the side of the coach or anything immediately next to the coach. I've moved it so I can still see down the side of the coach maximizing my field of view out to the side to the extent possible. It's not as far out as what I see in your photo, but it is "outside" the left edge of the windshield pillar.

Yes, there are hex nuts in the arm both where it attaches to the coach mounting bracket and the mirror head. If you move the arm you'll likely have to adjust the angle of the head too.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:53 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
The dealer should have adjusted the mirrors with you sitting in the driver's seat. As others have said adjust them so they work best for you.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:19 AM   #12

Easy adjustment, but not so easy tightening (and staying tight). Yes, they should be further forward.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote