Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi, Y'all! Our new 2014 Ventana 4369....and BOY do I feel stupid!

I'll get to the stupid part shortly

Wife and I just took delivery of a 2014 Ventana 4369, from a dealer in Lewisville, TX. We absolutely love the coach! Our last motorhome was a 1985 33' Southwind gasser, that we sold in 2003. I was a little apprehensive about driving a 43' coach in Dallas/Ft Worth traffic, so we camped in the dealers lot on Friday night and left out on Saturday morning after a few tweaks that needed to be done by the techs.

I soon found out that I had absolutely nothing to worry about with this coach. To compare it to our old Southwind would be like comparing a Ferrari with a clapped out Oldsmobile.....Wow is all I can say.....The Comfort Drive system really is all it is cracked up to be, and the TAG axle makes so much difference!

Ok, I know y'all are all waiting for the "stupid part"... here it is....we made an obligatory stop at Cabela's on the way home (we both love that store). Spent about 2 hours wandering around in the store and spending too much money, returned to the coach parked out by the trucks. I sat down and started it up, and had a LOUD warning horn, with no lights on the info panel but "parking brake" (which I thought was the source of the warning, although I didn't remember it being that LOUD before). Wife was complaining about how loud the warning was, so I applied the service brake and pushed the parking brake off....the warning didn't go away. Hmmmm...I have spent a lot of time driving big trucks, mostly fire apparatus, and I'm thinking "this is not normal". Checked everything, no warning lights, plenty of air, jacks aren't down. Wife has the Freightliner manual and is reading out all the things that will set off the warning buzzer....negative on ALL of them. I am stumped, wife is aggravated. I pick up the cell phone and call the dealership, but don't get anyone and leave a message to call me back. I get the brilliant idea to put the coach in gear and pull up a few feet just to check things out, so I pull my shoulder belt over and latch it (you thought that would be it, didn't you??).....and then I reach down to move the drivers seat forward because it is all the way back against the full wall slide. As soon as I moved it about 2 inches forward, the warning buzzer stopped....moved the seat back and it started again About that time our salesman called back, and he had never heard of such a thing. I can't find it documented anywhere, but then I haven't completely finished going through that massive black suitcase.

Made the rest of the 300 mile drive home with an ear to ear grin, wife is happy in her reclining co-pilots chair with the foot rest, and all is good with the world! Then we get home and find out that even with the air bags dumped, it won't quite fit under the 12' overhead doors in our barn (NO, I did NOT find out by scraping everything off the roof I used my calibrated eyeball to make the determination)....so I guess I'll make my contractor happy about fixing that!

I have spent many an enjoyable evening reading through the posts here in the Newmar forum, I feel like I actually know some of you fine folks....I probably won't post much, but I'm also sure I will have more than my share of system questions before I get it all figured out (the dealers "PDI" consisted mostly of pointing and saying "read the manual to find out how this works")

We hope to be "on the road" soon, although wife found out, today, that she is probably going to have to have some ankle surgery soon, so that may cause a bit of delay (nothing serious, just age catching up with us )

Lee and DW Leslie in Midland, TX
Lee L is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
and thanks for brightening everyone's day! You've already found that a sense of humor is necessary as you get used to a new coach!
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Lee L ... welcome to the forum. Sure enjoyed reading your "1st official post". Can't say I have heard of that issue but when I get home tonight I plan to go out to the coach and move the drivers seat all the way back and see what happens. And you are sure right on the comfort drive ... it's a winner! Tell the DW that after her ankle surgery you all can get back on the road sooner because of the automated foot rest on the DW seat!

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Welcome to the Forum and family of happy Newmar owners.
Never wipe that happy grin off your faces and enjoy the road.
Happy Trails.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #5

Congrats on the new coach. You will certainty enjoy it.
enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Congrat's on the new coach.

And

We need pics too.

And the last time we went to Cabela's, the $29 pillow for the coach ended up cost me $460 to get out the door.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Lee L ... just went out and checked. Could not get a LOUD warning horn to sound regardless of where I moved the seat ... so this must be a "2014 upgrade!"

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #8

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Welcome and congrats. USE IT!! I'm a some timer, but have about 65,000 miles on my 2006.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Picture

In her temporary parking spot…still wearing 300 miles worth of bugs! Thanks for the welcome! Spent the afternoon getting the in motion satellite working and tracking down the cause of power failure to the drivers seat…turned out to be the 30 amp fuse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	46602  
Old 09-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
More info

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmwalden View Post
Lee L ... just went out and checked. Could not get a LOUD warning horn to sound regardless of where I moved the seat ... so this must be a "2014 upgrade!"

Steve
Steve,

Found out today that it only does it with the slides in. May be one of those "undocumented features". We used to call em "bugs" in system test!
Old 09-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
In her temporary parking spot…still wearing 300 miles worth of bugs!
Bugs THAT big in Texas??? Looks like paint ball splatter!

Otherwise the rest looks great!
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #12

Welcome! I, too, enjoyed your post. It seems there is always something new to learn about our beautiful machines. Be sure to check out the NKK chapter Lone Stars West. Try a rally or two, there's a lot of knowledge there and a whole lot of fun!
CherokeeRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
Steve, Found out today that it only does it with the slides in....
Could it be that the warning sounds to alert you that the drivers seat in the full back position may interfere with the slide extension? I think this would be bad for both the slide and the seat.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:17 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Lee L to the forum & irv2.
Congratulations on your new Newmar many happy safe miles ahead for you.
You have a good time figuring out all the new additional features for 2014, the one for seat moved forward before moving slide I should have had on my 2003, that's right have a reminder of that in leather seat side, not so noticeable now.
With the new coach you have most options covered in your black case all I can add right now is may want to look at links in my signature that may answer some questions that may come to mind.
Enjoy and safe travels when wife heals do not think she will want to miss the new adventure.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent