Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
HID Xenon headlight upgrade

I am considering upgrading my headlights to a true xenon HID headlight. I found the kit for the 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan at the following website: http://www.xenonpro.com/high-beams-h...-caravan-2012/

Has anyone else installed these?
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I am considering upgrading my headlights to a true xenon HID headlight. I found the kit for the 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan at the following website: HIgh Beam: H11 - Full Xenon HID Conversion Kit for Dodge Grand Caravan 2012: HID Headlight Kits - Xenon HID Conversion Kit - FREE Shipping & Lifetime Warranty | XenonPro.com

I put them on my DPMH but I would not waste them on a dodge caravan
usually factory lites are pretty good
McRvnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #3

I have installed HID lamps in my Tow Vehicle...love them. I purchased mine at www.retrofitsource.com Are you planing a replacement of the low beams or the high beams? Or both?
The only down side I can see is that in case of a bulb or ballast failure you cannot just "run down to the parts store" for replacements. I did have a ballast go south on me, they were very helpful in getting me a replacement, had it in two days, sent a pic of the old ballast with the serial number and wires cut off and they refunded the cost of the ballast (which they got a deposit on, less than a new one straight out). I also ordered an extra ballast at that time.

Spence
Spencer & Tracie RVM#62
2013 RAM 3500DRW 4x4 Laramie, Cummins, 385HP,850FTLBS Aisin Trans
2014 DRV Elite Suite 41RESB4
Spare puller:2004 RAM3500DRW Cummins (DW's truck)
Roosters 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosters 67 View Post
I have installed HID lamps in my Tow Vehicle...love them. I purchased mine at www.retrofitsource.com Are you planing a replacement of the low beams or the high beams? Or both?
The only down side I can see is that in case of a bulb or ballast failure you cannot just "run down to the parts store" for replacements. I did have a ballast go south on me, they were very helpful in getting me a replacement, had it in two days, sent a pic of the old ballast with the serial number and wires cut off and they refunded the cost of the ballast (which they got a deposit on, less than a new one straight out). I also ordered an extra ballast at that time.

Spence
keep old bulb for cases of emergency such as this
Old 12-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I should have clarified; this is for my motorhome. The headlights are from a doge caravan
Old 12-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #6

Not sure how your coach headlights work when changing from low beam to high. If the lows go off when changing to high you will have a problem with the time it takes to warm the ballast when going back to the low beams. You will need to put in a relay to keep the lows lit with the highs. Law says only 4 light on high. So....do you have driving/fog lamps and do they go off when the highs come on or the lows go off? I did this on an 06 Travel Supreme I had that required relays. High was all 6.
I did put 100w high bulbs in the King Aire and will soon add relays so all 6 are on with high.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #7

Quote:
I should have clarified; this is for my motorhome. The headlights are from a doge caravan
Ok that's makes good sense.I love my HID high beams on my 2008 allegro bus. I got the #6000 series
Old 12-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheaded View Post
Not sure how your coach headlights work when changing from low beam to high. If the lows go off when changing to high you will have a problem with the time it takes to warm the ballast when going back to the low beams. You will need to put in a relay to keep the lows lit with the highs. Law says only 4 light on high. So....do you have driving/fog lamps and do they go off when the highs come on or the lows go off? I did this on an 06 Travel Supreme I had that required relays. High was all 6.
I did put 100w high bulbs in the King Aire and will soon add relays so all 6 are on with high.
simply not true.The ballast powers up on low beam and is ready instantly upon switching to HB .There is no delay.at least that's how my 9007 HID system works.
now of course if your trying to run drive lites and your low beams all while on high beam then your relays come into play
Old 12-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRvnut View Post
simply not true.The ballast powers up on low beam and is ready instantly upon switching to HB .There is no delay.at least that's how my 9007 HID system works.
now of course if your trying to run drive lites and your low beams all while on high beam then your relays come into play
The ones I put in the Travel Supreme were slow to come up.
The lows in the King Aire are also slow to come to full brightness.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheaded View Post
The ones I put in the Travel Supreme were slow to come up.
The lows in the King Aire are also slow to come to full brightness.
yes that's true when u first turn them on I agree but what was said was when one already has them on Low beam and switch,s to high beam there slow and I said They (mine)come on instantly same as normal
Two different situations
Old 12-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My fog lights dim on high beam. I am thinking if just converting the low beam, and leaving the high beam untouched. This would be the fail safe if I were to lose my ballast.

The 6000# is the series I was considering. Similar to my bmw and not too annoying to other drivers. Some of the colors seem to be less effective and annoying.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I am considering upgrading my headlights to a true xenon HID headlight. I found the kit for the 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan at the following website: HIgh Beam: H11 - Full Xenon HID Conversion Kit for Dodge Grand Caravan 2012: HID Headlight Kits - Xenon HID Conversion Kit - FREE Shipping & Lifetime Warranty | XenonPro.com

Not to be a mother hen but...

HID conversion kits are illegal in the US.

Halogen reflectors are designed around a single, specific hot spot on the halogen bulb. HIDs have 2 hot spots. Neither of them is the same as the halogen. While aiming can minimize the negative affects they can not eliminate them.

The only legal way to install HIDs is to replace the light assembly or, if you have sealed beams, use HID sealed beams.

I know, I know...folks do it all the time and no one every says they know someone that has been ticketed for "illegal lights". I'm just saying this for your info...use as you wish.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was not aware of the legal issues. Maybe I should convert the high beam instead.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #14

Quote:
I was not aware of the legal issues. Maybe I should convert the high beam instead.
Put the 100w off road bulbs (be careful not to melt the lens) and be quick on the dimmer.