Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2017, 04:39 PM   #1

Hidden Safe

Hey Y'all! We have moved from a F-450 Dually & toyhauler to a 2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911. I've been exploring every nook and cranny to learn as much as possible, so I may have more questions coming, but for now....I remember my parent's motor home (many years ago) had a hidden safe in a floor vent. Our toy hauler had a lock box down in the bottom of a closet and fastened to the floor. Without revealing more than you'd want the public to view, should I find something like this in our motor home? Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2017, 06:00 PM   #2

If a safe is in the options for your coach then I would guess it's possible that you'll find one.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:21 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I bought a wall safe to install in the back clothes closet.....took it back and got my money back.
Years ago while at a RV dealer for repair, our rig, and about 6 others were broken into over the weekend. They went in thru a side window in ours, others they went thru the door. And did enough damage to the others,the door had to be replaced. It made you sick to go out side, it looked like a tornado had gone thru it. I am convinced if they had found a safe, the damage in ours would have been even worse.
Look into "passive" devices. We use a fake aerosol can, looks just like a can of shaving cream. When they get in they will pull everything out of drawers, cabinets, under beds, couches, refrigerators, it will all be in the floor. I'm pretty sure my shaving cream can will be in the mess with everything else they throw in the floor.

They took loose change, dash radio, camera...
Old 04-17-2017, 07:45 PM   #4

Have you ever seen accounts of RV fires and how fast they go up? You wouldn't have time to get to your safe. A friend had a fire and when they dug out their 'fireproof' safe the papers inside were ashes. We kept a 'Go' bag in the front so we could grab it fast. Whenever we had maintenance done we also took it with us. Simple.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:57 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
The safe is an option and you may or may not have one. Contact Newmar with your VIN and ask them if you have one, and where is it.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:12 AM   #6

In our Dutch Star, the safe in in the rear closet
Old 04-18-2017, 06:32 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have friends who had a hidden safe. Their RV was broken into and the thieves removed the safe. Friends said it cost them more to repair the damage done from the thieves removing the safe than the value of what was in the safe. They no longer have or use a hidden safe. Repeat thieves probably know where all the "hidden" safes are located. Hidden safes only protect your belongings from honest people who aren't going to take anything anyway.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:39 AM   #8

I ran across a guy in a campground who said he purchased a small Sentry fire safe, a little larger than a lunch box. He bought it at a garage sale. No key, and still locked. He kept it just inside the closet in plain view. He also found a nice out of the way place to stash valuables.

Fast forward a year, coach was broken into, stuff rifled through a little, safe taken and the thieves departed after finding the safe. Hope they had fun opening the safe!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:11 AM   #9

A lot depends on why you want a safe, on my motorhome I have an extra large magnetic "hide-a-key" box with a spare set of keys and a few hundred dollars of emergency cash tucked up in a place where it can't be seen (at least not without a flexible inspection scope or maybe a mirror if you were to contort just right), but can be easily reached.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:41 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There are many ways to store/hide your valuables and many theories as to the value of safes. In my previous coach, I mounted an inexpensive Sentry fire safe (usually only fire safe for 15 minutes) in a rear cabinet. The way I bolted it down, you would pretty much have to spend quite a while to get it out, something crooks aren't going to do. It was also in an odd spot that it would make it difficult to get any leverage on it to pry it open. I kept spare keys, cash and some other items in it.

For those that don't want a safe there are often many areas in RV's that are good for hiding things. If you have any drawers that are just off of the floor, pull them out and you'll find some nice storage/hiding space.

Just the other day, I pulled up the bathroom floor to access the engine for the first time. On my coach, in order to pull up the floor piece, you have to remove a fixed panel on the front of the vanity cabinet. There is nothing behind it, but a plate that has a couple of bolts that need to be removed to access the engine. I was surprised to see an opening on the left side, 4" x 4" and about 12" - 15" deep. It's all wood enclosed and a great hidden storage space.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:26 AM   #11

Spent 10 yrs living on our boat. Traveled all over Bahamas. Never locked our doors or windows, after seeing the damage done to a boat where the thieves couldn't gain easy access. But did use a great hidden storage tip, which was always in plain sight. Took an 8" pvc pipe, with a screw in cap in one end, and a mounting flange on the other. Bolted it to the engine room bulkhead. In big red letters it said. CAUTION Waste under pressure, bleed pressure before opening. Goggles, gloves and face mask recommended. Not even authorities ever wanted to mess with it. [emoji3]
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:34 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Never had one in the DSDP's, present rig has one bolted the the framework around the Glendinning cord reel in the bedroom closet right out in plain sight.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:51 PM   #13

Thanks for all your answers and stories of your experiences. I think it was more a curiosity for me, as I've never used the lock box in the toy hauler in the 9 years we owned it. When I was in my early 20's I had a car stolen while on vacation and lost all my money in one swoop. Now I know to distribute it in different areas. Y'all have a great day!
Old 04-18-2017, 01:05 PM   #14

We have a 'fire safe' for our 5th wheel.....big enough to hold important documents
Passports, birth certificates, divorce docs etc.
But it is NOT bolted down or hidden.
It is readily available to grab and RUN in case of a FIRE

When away from 5vr it went with us in truck

Now we are back in a S&B it is readily available to grab and RUN in case of FIRE

IF all of us leave (both of us and dog) it goes in truck

Valuables.....they are Insured
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote