Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2007, 01:41 PM   #1

Maybe I'm a doofus, but in the front of the coach inside the generator bay is a quick female quick disconnect air fitting. It clearly is piped into the chassis air system. Do any of you have that? Do you/ could you use it to air the tires in an emergency? Seems chassis pressure runs about 125 to 130 and all you would need is a long enough hose with the correct male disconnect.

1995 Newell, 470HP Detroit Diesel Series 60
Bikeboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2007, 01:41 PM   #2

Maybe I'm a doofus, but in the front of the coach inside the generator bay is a quick female quick disconnect air fitting. It clearly is piped into the chassis air system. Do any of you have that? Do you/ could you use it to air the tires in an emergency? Seems chassis pressure runs about 125 to 130 and all you would need is a long enough hose with the correct male disconnect.

1995 Newell, 470HP Detroit Diesel Series 60
Bikeboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:57 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
All or most air braked MHs have that connection, and it is for a tow truck to connect it's air to release the parking brake.

Some folks do use it to air up tires, but the air pressure is not always that high. It only reaches the highest PSI just as the air compressor cuts out.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

There's one in the engine compartment as well...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:13 PM   #5

Hi! We use it to air our tires all the time. The fronts are a little hard and time consuming to do. Look around the connector area, most times the chassis mfg. wire ties the connector end to hook up the air hose with. It was there on both our coaches. our level coach does not have an air hookup in the engine compt. Paul
Old 03-28-2007, 01:31 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Inflating from the air system takes forever. Paul, I don't know if your K2 has more air than my Mountain Master but, it can be brutal.

I met someone at Disney this past December. In fact, they are the parents of one of our members but, I can't remember who at this time.

They had a special fitting put on a small C02 tank that you can get at fire extinguisher supply places. I used to have one with my home fountain soda machine.

He said this tank gets the tires to pressure very quickly and is only about 12" high by 4" round. So very easy to store, quick to get out and inflate.

I'm going to look into it for next season.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:18 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Inflating from the air system takes forever. Paul, I don't know if your K2 has more air than my Mountain Master but, it can be brutal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Scott! I am told that I have more air than most, All kiddin aside it does not appear to me that the K2 chassis we have now does not do any better of a job then when we had the DSDP. The rears air easily, the fronts are almost impossible. I am not quite sure a tank will get you where you need to be in the fronts. Paul
Old 03-28-2007, 03:31 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
We had no problem airing up with our 04 Essex on the k2 chassis. It helps to have the engine running this forces the compressor to run if needed. The rig even came with a coiled up air hose and a tire chuck.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:38 AM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The rig even came with a coiled up air hose and a tire chuck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My guess is the bean counters nixed that one from future years...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:45 AM   #10

Yes the coiled air hose did not come with mine, so I bought one. I find them good for emergencies but not real good for general topping up, paticularly the front tires at the higher pressures.

Peter
Old 03-28-2007, 04:05 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Route 66:
All or most air braked MHs have that connection, and it is for a tow truck to connect it's air to release the parking brake.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think that this is the case. I have had a few tows and it was all ways necessary for tow truck to tap in at the either the tank or air dryer. This is supplied to inflate tires as far as I know and that is what I do with it whenever its neessary to add air. The secret is to bleed off some air to intiate the air compressor which then brings air pressure up to high point and it will easily inflate tires. In terms of the rears , people complain that it won't fill them and I find that its not because of air pressure but because they are pinching the stem and restricting the air passage. Freightliner has a more elequent method of using a manifold.