Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
High voltage

Well, here I am on the Newmar page, previous Winnebago owner. We traded for a 2014 Dutch Star in July. We have been so impressed with the coach and the Newmar factory thus far. But ran into a little problem this weekend, and I thought I might get a little input before calling Newmar on Monday.
After a short weekend outing about a week ago, we parked the coach in our storage shed. Did not use battery disconnect, we have plans to travel next week, so thinking things would be fine for about a week. Prepared to pull it out to clean it for our trip, chassis batteries totally dead. House batteries fine. So we used the battery boost to start the motor. Good so far. Hubby cranked it over, started fine, but the warning and indicator alarms and lights started going crazy. We figured it was due to low voltage issue. After a minute or so, everything cleared up except the check engine light stayed on Amber colored, and in the driver display screen, it says, COLMUN DRIVE OFF and !!!HIGH VOLTAGE!!! We continued to let it run to charge batteries, thinking all would clear. But it didn't. We ran it about 5 minutes or so, shut it off. The moniter says batteries 12.9. The coach sat for about 2 hours, batteries still showing 12.9-13, restarted it, still same messages. Backed it back in storage and used the battery disconnect this time. I have searched the freightliner manual, no reference found for HIGH VOLTAGE! Or column drive off.
Any suggestions?
Jbgrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Jbgrams,
When batteries go dead, weird things will happen for some time. The chassis batteries will need a considerable amount of charge to bring them back to something the computers will be comfortable with. Consider putting a battery charger on the chassis batteries for 24-48 hours. The VDC reading you are now seeing is a surface charge that will not last. Column Drive is, most likely, Comfort Drive (Newmar's name). For me, discount the high voltage message until you get the chassis batteries fully charged.

The larger problem is why did the chassis batteries go dead after a short time? For me, after getting the chassis batteries fully charged I would do a load test on them to see if either battery is bad. Once you are sure the batteries are good, one must then go through the process of finding the offending circuit(s) that are drawing power when the coach is off.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #3

The newer the coach, the more circuits on the chassis that draw current even when the rig is switched off.
When I park for any length of time and do not have access to shore power I turn off the Chassis Master Disconnect Switch in the Engine Compartment.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Jbgrams to the forum.
Here are a couple of links to maybe help you out 12v battery system and 12v wiring system.
The battery cut-offs mentioned by Gary and Dennis need to be operated if you have no 120v shore power at your storage location so Bird System can maintain your battery systems, the small solar panel will not help while under cover in storage shed.
To charge any battery bank a good voltage charger will charge faster than your Gen or alternator.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Update: We took our coach in for repairs, it was indeed a bad alternator, causing the high voltage. We first stopped at our dealer, who sent us to Cummins dealer. My mistake was not calling Newmar prior to going to our dealer. After the coach at Cummins for 3 days with no answer, I called Newmar, who conference called Freightliner, (where we should've went). Freightliner called Cummins and all the problems handled from there. Part ordered and replaced, we picked the coach up on Monday, and today headed for Homestead Speedway for a little Nascar action! All in all everything was handled with great service from Newmar, Freightliner, and Cummins! So far, every issue, large or small, has been handled by the great customer service at Newmar! Thank you also for the input I received on this forum!
Jbgrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"A little NASCAR action"

You need to google "World's Fastest RV"

Which by the way it is not. but the fastest one doubles as an office and laboratory so perhaps it does not qualify.

See if you can figure out which one that is. (or should that be VEG)