Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2018, 03:13 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
I find it better to use no chemicals just flush it until clear. Use a transparent coupler so you can verify the output clarity. I have not used any chemicals for the last 3 coaches and have never had an issue with odor or anything else.
125%
The money not going down the pipes I spend at the Tiki Bar....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2018, 03:14 PM   #16

Been using nothing for 10 years. We find less odor than w/ chemicals. We try to dump the black every 10 days.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
Been using nothing for 10 years. We find less odor than w/ chemicals. We try to dump the black every 10 days.
Not sure I want to know but I'll ask anyway, What happens when you try to dump the black tank and it fails?

Sorry, the Devil made made me say it........
Old 07-03-2018, 03:24 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Put one of the packets in the toilet the next time you have to pee. The packet will have mostly dissolved by the time you finish.

Lol, I have partaken in some....”target practice “ myself[emoji4]
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:29 PM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Here is my testimonial on Happy Campers. For what it's worth.....

After using no chemicals to using a few different one, I was put onto Happy Campers a few years ago. It does the job as advertised at the best price.

So my neighbor with his new Fleetwood with the macerator toilet and dumping system is telling me one day of all the problems they are having with the black tank. They had tried no chemical, lots of water, chemicals with lots of water etc etc to no avail. They had even got to the point of putting the TP in a bag and not into the toilet. Yuk,,,,

I suggested giving HC a try to see if it made any difference.
Well, later that summer he brought me over a case of beer to thank me for putting him on to HC. So he was happy and me too....

Happy Campers-Odorless-RV Holding Tank Treatment for Black and Grey Water Tanks

X2!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
What exactly are the 'chemicals' for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Reducing holding tank odor.

TJ

Holding tank odor

I only get a 'whiff' when flushing..no more so then lingering whiff from residential toilet after going #2

Otherwise I don't smell anything from holding tanks cause the 'vapor barriers' WORK
And if I have a problem I locate it and FIX it.

Chemical Poop smells worst then plain old natural poop
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:16 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I use Happy Camper if I have any reason to be concerned about any odors, or this other less expensive chemical that is two parts hydrogen and one part oxygen. I have a five pound tub of HC that I have been using for almost two years now. Definitely the most economical black tank chemical other than plain water that I have found.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:31 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry davis View Post
Can’t see why anyone would not use Happy Camper. Have never heard a complaint from anyone using it. We have been using it for over 10 years. We are in no way affiliated with HC.
I have HC but I prefer the Walex packets. Just pull one out, drop in after a tank dump, works great and the best part is the tank flush comes out blue so it's less gross looking. I drop mine through the gravity flush toilet.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:54 PM   #23
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I have HC but I prefer the Walex packets. Just pull one out, drop in after a tank dump, works great and the best part is the tank flush comes out blue so it's less gross looking. I drop mine through the gravity flush toilet.
Unfortunately, both toilets are macerator; no gravity drop point available in the MADP. I think I may order some Happy Camper when we get home just to give it a try. We've used the Thetford AquaKem packets for several years and have been happy with the results, but running them through the "grinder" may not be the best idea.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:56 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I clogged my macerator twice somehow. Presumably Kleenex. It’s not a situation you want to be in as you can’t plunge it.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:19 PM   #25

I've had the best results with Odorloss so far (liquid and packets).

I got a bag of the Walex by mistake and recently threw the unused packets in the trash. Too heavily perfumed, too much dye, and it just plain didn't work well. I tried to use it up, but couldn't take the perfume odor. So tossed the unused packets.

Up until now, I'd never heard of Happy Camper. But based on all the recommendations here, I'll give it a try.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:36 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyS View Post
I've had the best results with Odorloss so far (liquid and packets).
When we got our coach with a mascerator toilet I had to abandon packets in favor of liquid. I too chose Odorloss, and have been happy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...5QW6KDSMZP2TMT

When time comes to reorder I’ll look at Happy Camper too.
WardSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:12 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I used HC in my old coach to alleviate an Oder problem, worked great. I still use HC in our DSDP with macerator toilets. Having replaced a pump and seeing the thin macerator wheel I am very careful of what goes down other than the intended. We full time and dump every other day so not sure if the HC has enough time to work but cheap insurance.
NWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:20 AM   #28

I would use Happy Camper if I needed a chemical, but in about 4-5 years of glamping have not used any additive and have no smell issues. Do rinse black tank most dumps.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, tank, toilet