Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2014, 12:28 PM   #1

Home Safe and Sound, with a Question

1,140 miles in two days with one driver, who hasn't driven a motorhome in 25 years. Not too bad, if I say so myself. The coach did very well. No problems to speak of.

Now to my question. I went out this morning to check some things out. 34 additional hours on the generator, no issues. I checked the oil, it was right in the middle of the range. Popped the "Hood" and check the V10s oil. It is right where I would expect, But, on the bottom of the dip stick was some reddish brown material, that felt like fine sand. Not metallic in nature. I cleaned the dipstick 3 times, and each time the material was there. It reminded me of pipe sealant again a fine grit. The dealership (North Trail RV) told me that they changed the oil in both the engine and the generator before delivery. This is a new unit and had 1,700 miles on it, now 2,800. Is this normal? The engine is showing no ill signs. It runs like a top. Suggestions? Thoughts?

Now to update my signature, somehow

Bill and Denise
2014 Bay Star 3103
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2014, 02:10 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Bill have you thought about pulling the oil filter? I'd check that and see what the oil in there looks like.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:17 PM   #3

Bpoland, If it were me I would change the oil check the filter as already suggested and have the oil analyzed. Finding what you does not seem normal. Better to ID the substance early to head off or resolve any problem.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:23 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would as said change the oil first thing, on the Ford its a do it yourself job and while your at it check all your grease fittings and see if they lubed them all.
Here is the Ford forum with maintenance information and other items you maybe interested in.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:19 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Could it be rust in the dipstick tube? That would explain it being on the bottom of your dipstick. Just a guess?
Old 08-25-2014, 08:28 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
What color is your antifreeze?
Old 08-25-2014, 08:34 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danleininger View Post
Could it be rust in the dipstick tube? That would explain it being on the bottom of your dipstick. Just a guess?
+1. Dipstick tubes on that motor are known to rust internally.
Scared the crap out of many people !!
Old 08-26-2014, 07:31 AM   #8

Thank you all. the oil looks fine. The coolant looks fine. The service department said that the rust inside the dip stick tube, is common with the V10. I will keep a check on it!
Old 08-26-2014, 07:38 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
The dip stick on the tranny will probably be worst. Mine looked like old coffee grounds. I changed the tranny fluid and filter twice since I bought the RV. Still gets some deposits.
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:55 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Bill

" reddish brown material, that felt like fine sand Not metallic in nature. I cleaned the dipstick 3 times, and each time the material was there. It reminded me of pipe sealant again a fine grit."

On my last Three V10's , I have always had a burnt brown markings about 12" up from the bottom of the stick. Figured it was from the extreme engine heat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1Oil Dip stick.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	72063  
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:05 PM   #11

That's what it looks like. Thanks for the picture. That puts my mind at ease. Thanks again sir.

Bill
Old 08-27-2014, 04:16 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
1,140 miles in two days with one driver, who hasn't driven a motorhome in 25 years. Not too bad, if I say so myself.
BPoland ... you sure know how to jump in with both feet! Congratulations on the 1st of many trips. Glad everything went good and you figured out the oil related question. If I got this correct, I think I read that you flew down to NorthTrail RV to get your unit? Was that the Fort Myers or Ft. Lauderdale location? We live in Fort Myers and have bought all our units from them. I can sure understand the 34 hours of generator usage as it was 103 degrees here yesterday. We pretty much run ours all the time when driving as well. Post some pictures when you get time.

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:36 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
DITTO................. let's see some pics!!!
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:55 AM   #14

FLSteve - We flew down to Fort Myers, Friday morning. We did the walk through, then the demo. Next, was a little tour of their Parts Store, where they managed to get a few more of my dollars. Then over to actually by the coach. I know I don't have allot of experience buying coaches, and truth be told, It's not a million dollar unit. There was a gentleman picking up his King Aire (I think that's how it's spelled) at the same time, and it was $975,000, and I can tell you he wasn't any prouder of his than we are of ours. The gentleman we bought ours from was named Ray Gering. There wasn't any BS'ing around or head games. I told him the price I wanted, and he came in a little higher. I ended up paying $1K more than the price I wanted, but I also got some extra options that I hadn't planned on. Over all, it was a wonderful experience. I drove the coach to Cypress Woods RV Resort (thanks for the site Ray), and then hauled freight on Saturday. I kept the generator on with both A/Cs. So after driving our coach for 2 miles total, I made a left on Rt 75 North and stepped it up to about 67 mph. I call it, a baptism by fire, or sink or swim, if you will. after an hour or so, I was pretty comfortable (no longer wiping the sweat off my forehead. We stopped for the night. 9 hours latter in Hardyville SC. We pulled in front of our house at 5:45 pm Sunday! I think we did pretty good, overall. We are already planning our first trip.