Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-16-2016, 01:02 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 30
Hood support Rod

Good Morning,

I Just bought a 2013 Bay Star 3209 and have a couple issues. Maybe you guys have some thoughts. First coach batteries are both dead and fried. What kind for new ones?? Second, hood support rod is bent and no longer holds engine hood open. Seems like hood is too heavy for supplied rod. Is there a fix for a heavier support rod or should I just purchase a new factory support rod as I do not know what past owner subjected the rod too.

Thanks

Jeff
__________________

__________________
tunaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2016, 07:12 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
wa8yxm's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22,832
For the support rod there is, Sort of, A fix....

Take the old rod (Straightened) to a place that bends rod for a living.. (I know of one on Telegraph Road, or rather just off it (one side of the building is on telegraph but the address is on a side street) in Detroit, but I'm sure there are many more.. They can cut and bend rod to any shape you like,, including the shape of your support rod, only in a heavier size. Many body shops can do it too.. But look for an older shop run by someone who is approaching retirement, Not a modern "bolt on a new fender" shop.
__________________

__________________
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:20 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
LJowdy's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ontario, California
Posts: 1,013
Try going here: Dutch Star Front Hood Mod - Struts Added Dutch Star Don wrote how he modified his hood. His is the first modification on the thread. My coach was different in that I had a slide out for the generator so I had to modify his design. My modification is on page 2 of the thread.
__________________
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369
Newmar Owners Club
USAF 1966-1969,- Law Enforcement 34 years, retired 2003
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:13 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,796
As for the hood rod support, you can probably order one from Newmar or do what was recommended by LJowdy. Dutch Star Don as has great ideas like that for modifications. That hood rod is pretty strong so they must have compromised it somehow for it to not support the hood. As for batteries, I know others will recommend some of the higher priced fancy batteries, but I bought mine at Costco. They are the same batteries as originally equipped, even thought the chassis battery has an Interstate label. The nice thing is they are guaranteed for 5 years, free replacement, and prorated after that. They were about half the price of what you could buy the same thing for at Sears, Auto Parts Stores ect. When you buy at those locations and they know it's going in a MH the warranty is only 1 year free replacement and then prorated from there. Costco doesn't care what you put them in, the warranty is the warranty, and you can bring them back at any time. I have been using them for a year now and they are working better than the original batteries. Good luck
__________________
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:35 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
dennis45's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC
Posts: 6,482
3-4 years life from your batteries is less than half of what you should see. If you have tested and confirmed your batteries are shot, I strongly suggest you look closely at your charging system and battery maintenance program so you don't end up with the same problem in a couple years.

Here is some light bedtime reading on the subject.

http://www.rveducation101.com/articl...tery_savvy.pdf
__________________
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:41 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
3-4 years life from your batteries is less than half of what you should see. If you have tested and confirmed your batteries are shot, I strongly suggest you look closely at your charging system and battery maintenance program so you don't end up with the same problem in a couple years.

Here is some light bedtime reading on the subject.

http://www.rveducation101.com/articl...tery_savvy.pdf
Although I totally agree with you, it is all how the batteries were taken care of both before and after the original delivery. My House batteries work fine, but I had to have the chassis battery replaced after only two years, which is way too soon, and it was also affecting how the charging system was working. After replacing the chassis battery, everything went back to normal. I had all the charging systems checked, which are working as they should, as I too thought I had a system problem. Some of those batteries, whether House or Chassis, have been sitting for a long time before the MH is built/delivered and may have been damaged then or after the purchase by neglect. Now I keep the MH plugged into shore power 24/7 and have had no issues since.
__________________
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:10 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
dennis45's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC
Posts: 6,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Although I totally agree with you, it is all how the batteries were taken care of both before and after the original delivery. My House batteries work fine, but I had to have the chassis battery replaced after only two years, which is way too soon, and it was also affecting how the charging system was working. After replacing the chassis battery, everything went back to normal. I had all the charging systems checked, which are working as they should, as I too thought I had a system problem. Some of those batteries, whether House or Chassis, have been sitting for a long time before the MH is built/delivered and may have been damaged then or after the purchase by neglect. Now I keep the MH plugged into shore power 24/7 and have had no issues since.
Good point, Mine are going on seven years. Plugged in 24/7 also.
__________________
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:34 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 30
Hood support and batteries

Thanks for the help, yes four cells were completely dry and batteries were no good, had them checked. Would love to do the mod on the hood, will definitely be looking into that. Think batteries were definitely neglected.

Again Thanks. Will be definitely be doing a lot more reading and coach exploration before first trip after the holidays.

Jeff
__________________
tunaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:42 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
 
Dutch Star Don's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Moorpark, Ca.
Posts: 9,313
Jeff....The best Christmas present you can buy for yourself and your coach is the automatic battery watering system. It connects to all of your batteries and uses an old style hand squeeze bulb to fill the batteries. Simply quick connect (supplied) the hand pump bulb to the batteries and dip the other end in a bottle of distilled water. Pump it until it becomes firm and you're done.

This system fills your batteries evenly and to the correct level. By making it a 5 minute job, people are more likely to service and maintain their batteries. The caps just about eliminate any battery acid issues. My battery bay (3 years old) is dry as can be.

The system is a little pricey, but will be the best money you've spent on an RV. https://www.amazon.com/Flow-Rite-RV2...atering+system
__________________
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:25 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Jim28730's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Maggie Valley, NC
Posts: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Jeff....The best Christmas present you can buy for yourself and your coach is the automatic battery watering system. It connects to all of your batteries and uses an old style hand squeeze bulb to fill the batteries. Simply quick connect (supplied) the hand pump bulb to the batteries and dip the other end in a bottle of distilled water. Pump it until it becomes firm and you're done.

This system fills your batteries evenly and to the correct level. By making it a 5 minute job, people are more likely to service and maintain their batteries. The caps just about eliminate any battery acid issues. My battery bay (3 years old) is dry as can be.

The system is a little pricey, but will be the best money you've spent on an RV. https://www.amazon.com/Flow-Rite-RV2...atering+system
X2I
__________________
Jim & Sandy
2016 Newmar Ventana 4037
2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:33 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 30
Batteries

Don, really like the battery fill system. Funny, when it comes to motorhomes and someone says it's pricey, I winced until I looked at it. Not to bad really.

Jeff
__________________
tunaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:30 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
LJowdy's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ontario, California
Posts: 1,013
I'll add my .02 cents about the battery watering system. I purchased 3 kits to fill my 6 batteries. It works great. Took a little time to cut the hoses to fit correctly but once it's done, it's done. Great system.
__________________

__________________
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369
Newmar Owners Club
USAF 1966-1969,- Law Enforcement 34 years, retired 2003
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hood Rod Retaining Clamp jmckiever Vintage RV's 8 12-20-2016 06:22 PM
Closet ceiling can't support closet rod CARLnJANIS Excel Owner's Forum 17 12-07-2016 07:52 AM
Part # for hood lift support on Monaco Chutetender Monaco Owner's Forum 3 06-25-2014 10:20 PM
Lightning RodŽ for 6 Gallon Water Heaters bitterroot RV Systems & Appliances 2 11-30-2008 12:52 PM
American Appliance water heater and a anode rod Rick Tillman RV Systems & Appliances 2 08-01-2007 12:45 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.