Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2016, 12:02 PM   #1

Hood support Rod

Good Morning,

I Just bought a 2013 Bay Star 3209 and have a couple issues. Maybe you guys have some thoughts. First coach batteries are both dead and fried. What kind for new ones?? Second, hood support rod is bent and no longer holds engine hood open. Seems like hood is too heavy for supplied rod. Is there a fix for a heavier support rod or should I just purchase a new factory support rod as I do not know what past owner subjected the rod too.

Thanks

Jeff
tunaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2016, 06:12 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For the support rod there is, Sort of, A fix....

Take the old rod (Straightened) to a place that bends rod for a living.. (I know of one on Telegraph Road, or rather just off it (one side of the building is on telegraph but the address is on a side street) in Detroit, but I'm sure there are many more.. They can cut and bend rod to any shape you like,, including the shape of your support rod, only in a heavier size. Many body shops can do it too.. But look for an older shop run by someone who is approaching retirement, Not a modern "bolt on a new fender" shop.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:20 AM   #3

Try going here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/dutc...ed-211095.html Dutch Star Don wrote how he modified his hood. His is the first modification on the thread. My coach was different in that I had a slide out for the generator so I had to modify his design. My modification is on page 2 of the thread.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:13 AM   #4

As for the hood rod support, you can probably order one from Newmar or do what was recommended by LJowdy. Dutch Star Don as has great ideas like that for modifications. That hood rod is pretty strong so they must have compromised it somehow for it to not support the hood. As for batteries, I know others will recommend some of the higher priced fancy batteries, but I bought mine at Costco. They are the same batteries as originally equipped, even thought the chassis battery has an Interstate label. The nice thing is they are guaranteed for 5 years, free replacement, and prorated after that. They were about half the price of what you could buy the same thing for at Sears, Auto Parts Stores ect. When you buy at those locations and they know it's going in a MH the warranty is only 1 year free replacement and then prorated from there. Costco doesn't care what you put them in, the warranty is the warranty, and you can bring them back at any time. I have been using them for a year now and they are working better than the original batteries. Good luck
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:35 AM   #5

3-4 years life from your batteries is less than half of what you should see. If you have tested and confirmed your batteries are shot, I strongly suggest you look closely at your charging system and battery maintenance program so you don't end up with the same problem in a couple years.

Here is some light bedtime reading on the subject.

http://www.rveducation101.com/articl...tery_savvy.pdf
Old 12-17-2016, 11:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
3-4 years life from your batteries is less than half of what you should see. If you have tested and confirmed your batteries are shot, I strongly suggest you look closely at your charging system and battery maintenance program so you don't end up with the same problem in a couple years.

Here is some light bedtime reading on the subject.

http://www.rveducation101.com/articl...tery_savvy.pdf
Although I totally agree with you, it is all how the batteries were taken care of both before and after the original delivery. My House batteries work fine, but I had to have the chassis battery replaced after only two years, which is way too soon, and it was also affecting how the charging system was working. After replacing the chassis battery, everything went back to normal. I had all the charging systems checked, which are working as they should, as I too thought I had a system problem. Some of those batteries, whether House or Chassis, have been sitting for a long time before the MH is built/delivered and may have been damaged then or after the purchase by neglect. Now I keep the MH plugged into shore power 24/7 and have had no issues since.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Although I totally agree with you, it is all how the batteries were taken care of both before and after the original delivery. My House batteries work fine, but I had to have the chassis battery replaced after only two years, which is way too soon, and it was also affecting how the charging system was working. After replacing the chassis battery, everything went back to normal. I had all the charging systems checked, which are working as they should, as I too thought I had a system problem. Some of those batteries, whether House or Chassis, have been sitting for a long time before the MH is built/delivered and may have been damaged then or after the purchase by neglect. Now I keep the MH plugged into shore power 24/7 and have had no issues since.
Good point, Mine are going on seven years. Plugged in 24/7 also.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:34 AM   #8

Hood support and batteries

Thanks for the help, yes four cells were completely dry and batteries were no good, had them checked. Would love to do the mod on the hood, will definitely be looking into that. Think batteries were definitely neglected.

Again Thanks. Will be definitely be doing a lot more reading and coach exploration before first trip after the holidays.

Jeff
Old 12-18-2016, 10:42 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Jeff....The best Christmas present you can buy for yourself and your coach is the automatic battery watering system. It connects to all of your batteries and uses an old style hand squeeze bulb to fill the batteries. Simply quick connect (supplied) the hand pump bulb to the batteries and dip the other end in a bottle of distilled water. Pump it until it becomes firm and you're done.

This system fills your batteries evenly and to the correct level. By making it a 5 minute job, people are more likely to service and maintain their batteries. The caps just about eliminate any battery acid issues. My battery bay (3 years old) is dry as can be.

The system is a little pricey, but will be the best money you've spent on an RV. https://www.amazon.com/Flow-Rite-RV2...atering+system
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:25 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Jeff....The best Christmas present you can buy for yourself and your coach is the automatic battery watering system. It connects to all of your batteries and uses an old style hand squeeze bulb to fill the batteries. Simply quick connect (supplied) the hand pump bulb to the batteries and dip the other end in a bottle of distilled water. Pump it until it becomes firm and you're done.

This system fills your batteries evenly and to the correct level. By making it a 5 minute job, people are more likely to service and maintain their batteries. The caps just about eliminate any battery acid issues. My battery bay (3 years old) is dry as can be.

The system is a little pricey, but will be the best money you've spent on an RV. https://www.amazon.com/Flow-Rite-RV2...atering+system
X2I
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:33 AM   #11

Batteries

Don, really like the battery fill system. Funny, when it comes to motorhomes and someone says it's pricey, I winced until I looked at it. Not to bad really.

Jeff
Old 12-22-2016, 09:30 AM   #12

I'll add my .02 cents about the battery watering system. I purchased 3 kits to fill my 6 batteries. It works great. Took a little time to cut the hoses to fit correctly but once it's done, it's done. Great system.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote