RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2018, 07:04 PM   #1

Hose replacements

Greetings Newmar nation,
I am a first time RV owner looking for advice.
Recently purchased 04 DPMA 4017, have no idea the age of sewer hose etc.
Shopping for new hoses and connections.
Is there a preferred brand I should be looking at?
Suggestions appreciated.

speedway is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2018, 07:08 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
MADP is a Mountain Air Diesel Pusher? Is that what you have?

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:53 PM   #3

Hook your sewer hose up and check with just plain water to see if it leaks. If not, your good to go. If it does leak, just go and purchase a new one. Easy Peesy..... Your gonna like your MA, I love mine, now that I've replaced the exhaust manifold and made sure the turbo was with-in specs. Never a dull moment.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:57 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have tried several different brands over the last 5 years.
The most recent was the Camco Rhino Flex, Brown hose, Orange fittings.
They are the best, easy to position, DO NOT LEAK, and can be bent to accommodate any position.
I got 2 ten foot sections. usually 1 ten foot is enough.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
MADP is a Mountain Air Diesel Pusher? Is that what you have?
Yes.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsm View Post
Hook your sewer hose up and check with just plain water to see if it leaks. If not, your good to go. If it does leak, just go and purchase a new one. Easy Peesy..... Your gonna like your MA, I love mine, now that I've replaced the exhaust manifold and made sure the turbo was with-in specs. Never a dull moment.
Thanks!
Had the coach for two weeks, learning curve is steep, learning something every day!
Old 11-06-2018, 08:22 PM   #7

On sewer hoses most people agree the standard RhinoFlex is best, though some people prefer the crush resistant RhinoFlex Extreme though it does not store as easily.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:32 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedway View Post
Yes.
We had two DSDP's then went to the Country Coach due to it's build quality.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:23 PM   #9

What the "best" Stinky-Slinky" hose and connections are, is a never ending and never agreed upon question.

I started with a Rhino-Flex hose and liked it until the Sun wiped it out. So I'm done with them now.

I've used the same Valterra "EZ Flush Triple-Wrap" hose on my Chinook for 7 years now and absolutely love it. It's super thick and heavy-duty. Valterra recommends it for full-timers as it's pretty much the toughest and longest lasting hose there is. But it's not for everybody or every RV or every situation.

The problems are that it's heavy and stiff and because it's so thick, doesn't compress anywhere near as much as other hoses. And if the weather is cold, it doesn't want to stretch out either. And it doesn't come in kits or come with attached end-fittings. It just comes hose-only in a couple of lengths. Then you thread on Valterra EZ Flush end fittings. And those fittings don't rotate -- so you have to lay the hoses out without kinks or twists first.

When we got our new-to-us Kountry Star, I quickly discovered that I couldn't use the Valterra EZ Flush Triple-Wrap hose because the fittings don't fit inside the Newmar's built-in hose storage place. These hoses and fittings are made for the big tube storage holders. And because this hose is so stiff, I couldn't coil it up inside the wet storage compartment either.

The previous owner had a Valterra Dominator hose (the bright red one) that actually worked very well. It compresses pretty well and extends fairly well and has pre-assembled rotating fittings. I still have that hose in storage and may go back to using it.

But I read that Valterra's "Viper" hose is supposed to be super tough, nearly impossible to puncture, and more flexible and more compressible than the Dominator hose. And unlike the Dominator hose, it holds its shape once you extend it. In many ways it's similar to the Rhino-Flex hose, except that I think the material and construction is superior.

That's what I'm using now for my primary hose. I have a 15 ft. section that compresses and winds around and stores in the wet bay.

My problem with this hose is that it's too flexible! If I don't strap it down, when I open the valve to a full holding tank, the hose wants to jump and flop and extend itself. So I've learned that I need to strap it down with Velcro straps I made myself out of Velcro One-Wrap. For long stays, this is fine. But for one-night stops, it's more work. Otherwise, the hose is great.

I also discovered that Newmar's built-in sewer hose storage system (at least on our 2008 Kountry Star) was made for hoses with small diameter fittings -- or no fittings at all. The hole isn't large enough in diameter for most bayonet fittings to fit inside it. And then the hose makes a sharp 90 turn about 24" inside -- which also limits fitting size and length.

What I've discovered works best for me in that storage compartment is a Blue-Line hose with Presso-Fit fittings. Those fittings are small enough in diameter to fit in the Newmar sewer hose compartment. And the fitting system is fairly quick and adjustable. I'm not thrilled with the hose or Blue-Line's fittings, but they work. And I only need and use this one if my regular 15 ft. Viper hose isn't long enough to reach the park's sewer fitting. Then I use this one as an extension -- with a bayonet adapter at the end that fits to the Viper hose.

The Blue-Line 90 fitting that goes into the park sewer pipe is taller than most -- which means it puts the hose up an inch or more higher -- which can be a drainage problem depending on how high the park's connection is -- and how high the coach is.

When we dump the coach's air, it's fairly close to the ground. And I've run into situations where with the taller Blue-Line coupler, the connection to the park's sewer is actually higher than where the hose comes out from under the coach. So it doesn't want to drain uphill.

I've never found the ideal solution of hose and connectors for this particular coach. And I now have quite a collection of sewer connection parts. And I can tell you that no two are the same! In particular, when you buy the 90 fitting that goes down into the park's sewer -- look for the shortest one you can find -- so you don't end up with that end higher than the holding tank connection end. Between my longest one and shortest one -- there's almost a 3" difference! That's a lot.

I recommend going to a RV supply place that has lots of selection (such as a Camping World) and comparing the various parts and models from the various manufacturers. For the most part, you can interchange components between Valterra and Rhino-Flex and a couple of other brands. But because of Blue-Line's unique coupling system, it's much harder to interchange components with Blue-Line hoses -- unless you stick in several adapters.

And to answer your initial question -- nobody can or will agree on a single "best" solution for all situations or coaches or uses.

Have fun learning for yourself.
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:17 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I just bought new hoses at the Hershey RV show. I went with the Rhino Flex.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:26 PM   #11

I am a fan of the Rhino Flex and carry 45' and have needed all of it in several situations.

Never ever again will I buy the cheap stuff.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:18 PM   #12

I use the Waste Master house system. Got tired of replacing broken hoses. But no matter which one you get always do a quick test your hookup with grey water. I purchased all my hose before at Walmart.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanslam View Post
I use the Waste Master house system. Got tired of replacing broken hoses. But no matter which one you get always do a quick test your hookup with grey water. I purchased all my hose before at Walmart.
Good idea. Thanks for the tip!

Tags
ace, replace, replacement