Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2019, 07:00 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Hot shower?

We are in Colorado and I know the ground water is pretty cold but it seems that with the electric and diesel burner turned on I have to continually adjust the water handle to hotter to get thru a shower. Is there a adjustment I need to make so the water stays hot without making the handle adjustment? Seems the water in the sink next to the shower is much hotter?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2019, 07:02 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Ours acted like that and found that the stir pump was not running. Once I cleaned it and got it running again no more fiddling with the temp when taking showers.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:20 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Can you tell me more about the stir pump. I have a oasis system and don't know what a stir pump is.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:30 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I am not sure if the Oasis uses them or not. They are on Aquahot and Hydrohot Systems. They circulate the fluid in the boiler tank.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:53 AM   #5
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There is an adjustable hot water mixing valve in the distribution box. It could be stuck, possibly from hard water deposits.

It has the white knob in the upper right hand corner of this picture. You can access it from the hole in the back of the box, if your model is the same as mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3827.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	368.9 KB
ID:	254852  
Old 07-27-2019, 10:46 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the information on the mixing valve. Going to call oasis and Newmar Monday morning. Might get a answer from them. If the water wasn't so hot in my sinks I'd think it was the complete oasis system. Thinking it might be a faucet issue of some kind.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:00 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickemb View Post
Thanks for the information on the mixing valve. Going to call oasis and Newmar Monday morning. Might get a answer from them. If the water wasn't so hot in my sinks I'd think it was the complete oasis system. Thinking it might be a faucet issue of some kind.
Let us know what you find... Thanks
Old 07-27-2019, 12:55 PM   #8

Quote:
We are in Colorado and I know the ground water is pretty cold but it seems that with the electric and diesel burner turned on I have to continually adjust the water handle to hotter to get thru a shower. Is there a adjustment I need to make so the water stays hot without making the handle adjustment? Seems the water in the sink next to the shower is much hotter?
Another helpful tip when encountering cold water is to use water from your water tank. Once your water tank has been full or close to it for a while or over night, the water will warm up a bit. This takes less energy to warm the water since it is already warmer than what you are taking out of the ground.
Tizbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:56 PM   #9
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I think the mixing valve is factory set for 120. If you measure the water temperature coming out of your kitchen faucet when the unit is fully heated and the water coming out is around 140 degrees (I use a meat thermometer), the mixing valve is not working.

When the mixing valve is not working the temperature coming out of the Oasis will not be constant and you will notice variation in the shower temperature.

Not sure this is your problem, but may be worth looking into.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:38 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry about the lag between post. Moved to another park and town. We have no cell reception and iffy wifi. Can anyone give me the details about how to take apart the mixing valve and clean it. I have a model ch50 oasis. Downloaded the manual and troubleshooting manual and they don't rell you how to do it. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:30 AM   #11
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Try adjusting the temperature up and down while tapping it. If that doesn't work take it out and soak it in vinegar or lime away for a couple hours. The attached video says the you may need to change the sealing washers if you take it out, or you can replace it. I do not know how difficult it will be to get out, but there is an access hole in the back of the box.

For when you get better wifi...
Old 08-05-2019, 07:36 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There was a post about removing (?) in the shower handle to get hotter water. Sounds like the mixing valve is working if you are getting hot water everywhere but the shower. Maybe someone with a better memory than me will chime in.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:54 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I was going to check the shower handle last night. I couldn't find the set screw in the handle to get it off. Was reading the paper work that came with it. Said it was set at factory to the hottest setting. The handle travels the same distance from cold to hot so I believe it is still at factory setting. I will try to clean valve on the oasis today or tomorrow and let you know.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:23 AM   #14

I would also make sure that the valves for any external shower are turned off.

Tags
shower