Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2018, 04:49 PM   #1

Hot water supply to front

We have the optional hot water supply to the front of our 17 DS. When does this need to be shut down and drained if traveling in cold temps? Or if the Oasis is run the whole time does this line stay warm?
Breezy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2018, 08:54 PM   #2
Rd1

I have not had any problems traveling multiple times in low 20's, or even camped at mid teens. I do have the exposed portion in the front water line covered with tubular pipe insulation. Though the oasis burner was on at all time.If concerned, you can shut the water pump off (and shore supply if camped), open the valve to drain the pipes, while opening the valve for the front hot water line. that should clear the line enough. then close off the front valve once all water is drained.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:06 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If questioned, I'd suspect Newmar's advice would be to 1) close the in-line block valve on the optional forward hot water line which is located inside the basement mid-ship between the water bay and the forward basement wall (just behind the diesel fuel tank), and 2) bleed off the water downstream of it by using the in-line winterizing bleed valve located just slightly upstream of the optional hot water spigot located in the forward generator slide compartment.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:26 AM   #4

I called Newmar and was surprised to learn all exposed water lines like this one are heated so winterization is not critical. Makes sense but I was surprised to learn this. Has anyone else heard this about newer coaches?
Old 01-15-2018, 10:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy2006 View Post
I called Newmar and was surprised to learn all exposed water lines like this one are heated so winterization is not critical. Makes sense but I was surprised to learn this. Has anyone else heard this about newer coaches?
That's very interesting. What does "heated" mean in this sense. Since they are exposed, I would assume they don't mean in a heated compartment, so how else would they be heated. It being hot water alone in the pex wouldn't help unless it was somehow circulating to insure it remained hot.

This has my curiosity up.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:00 AM   #6

Can anyone elaborate on where this hot water line originates and the routing to the front?
My Ventana doesn't have one but I would really like to add it and wondering where to start and how to run it.

I installed a cold line to our last Winnie and loved it.
I had a shut off valve in the HWH / winterization bay that I closed after winterizing and simply left it closed until I got far enough south / warm.
That way I could dewinterize the rest of the MH for travel,
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Can anyone elaborate on where this hot water line originates and the routing to the front?
My Ventana doesn't have one but I would really like to add it and wondering where to start and how to run it.

I installed a cold line to our last Winnie and loved it.
I had a shut off valve in the HWH / winterization bay that I closed after winterizing and simply left it closed until I got far enough south / warm.
That way I could dewinterize the rest of the MH for travel,
Another active thread with same topic: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/shou...ch-374876.html
Old 01-15-2018, 06:34 PM   #8

I looked at the pex, (brand Rehau) it is not heated as far as I can tell. No tape or wires and the shutoff valve separates the pipe so must have been lucky and some of the heat transferred into the entire line to prevent freezing.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:38 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I have a 2017 Essex with the forward optional hot water line in the front generator slide compartment and can attest to the fact that the subject water line is not protected from the area forward of the basement compartment to the spigot other than to have some 3/4" split loom conduit over the clear 1/2" hot water line plastic tubing itself. Thus it is exposed to exterior atmospheric temperatures as it routes from inside the basement out and over the front steer tires up to the the spigot, hence I'd gather is the intended purpose of the HW line bleed valve located just upstream of the spigot together with the mid-ship line block valve is to allow the line to be blocked and drained in part with winterizing.

I discovered this (conduit over the HW line hose) when recently running wiring for some LED lights and trying to find a penetration point into the forward basement wall (just behind the diesel fuel tank).

With it exposed in such a manner, I seriously doubt (or better, would not reply upon) heat transfer from the Oasis unit will carry and be maintained all the way forward (approx. 20 ft) to the generator bay when the spigot is closed (particularly the approx. 8-10' section forward of the basement wall up to the spigot (outlet) which as mentioned is otherwise exposed other than to have the loose flex conduit partially surrounding it.)
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:17 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
When in TN, used water line in generator compartment. With cold ambient temperatures was concerned about glass cracking. Do others have hot and cold so I could add a mixing valve?
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Not true. At least on our 2018 Ventana. As other subsequent posters have said, the line is exposed in the non heated space forward of the basement. There is no heat, and no insulation of the pipe in this space.
Finance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
Not true. At least on our 2018 Ventana. As other subsequent posters have said, the line is exposed in the non heated space forward of the basement. There is no heat, and no insulation of the pipe in this space.
As someone who is waiting for '19 orders to be taken, I don't currently have a Ventana. However, there is one point of confusion that I have.

It has to do with what portion of the basement is heated. On the one hand I've been told that only the wet bay is heated and posters have said that while their wet bay was above freezing, other areas of the basement were in the teens (maybe 20s).

However, if I'm understanding these discussions about the location of this hot water shutoff and other water lines, they are outside of the wet bay.

So, two questions.

1. Am I understanding it correctly that there are pex water lines outside of the wet bay in other areas of the basement?
2. Is the entire basement heated or at least all areas where there is pex tubing?
Old 01-16-2018, 03:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post

1. Am I understanding it correctly that there are pex water lines outside of the wet bay in other areas of the basement?
2. Is the entire basement heated or at least all areas where there is pex tubing?
1: Yes. There are PEX in the basement forward of the wet bay. There's also PEX routed to the rear laundry, but I haven't checked yet to see how it's routed.
2: Not a definitive answer, but the divider between the wet bay and the cargo bay does not close off the space between the frame rails, so there will be air circulation between the two.

My knowledge is only with respect to the 3407. YMMV. We're in Florida now, but when we do get to some cold climates I'll be putting some thermometers down below to monitor the temperatures in the wet bay and cargo bay.

In my opinion, it only stands to reason the wet bay will cool down much more slowly than the cargo bay because of the thermal mass of all the water.

Tags
water