Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2011, 05:54 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
House bat not charging on shore power

We just arrived in MT from AK and are staying at my niece's house - plugged in to shore power with a 50' extension cord over night. The house batteries are now super low and did not seem to charge over night. Is this a problem with the charger (converter) or is there possibly not enough power coming from her house? The house batteries are being charged just fine when we travel. The transfer switch hums when plugged into shore power.

I hate to run the coach to charge the batteries (we are in a neighborhood) - or the gen set for that matter.

I'm super new at this, so if you don't mind, please be basic if you reply! I'm grateful for anyone's help on this...seems I'm in a bind.

John
2003 CC Allure 36’ First Ave. #30914
Gatesway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2011, 06:08 AM   #2

Oh, we have an '02 KSDP3669 and the converter is an IOTA DLS-55. The water pump is super sluggish and we are getting AC (light is on on the microwave). WHen I press the "read volts" switch up front, it shows 10.3

I have installed a new 1,000 inverter that is working great - now that we are plugged into shore power (the unit is hard wired). We don't have a "surge protector" installed. The automatic transfer switch is a Lyght.

Again, thanks!
Old 10-11-2011, 06:30 AM   #3

If you have AC power it's not the transfer switch. Most likely you've lost your converter. Put a meter on the converter to check the output after you first make sure the fuses on the converter are good.
You can use an automotive battery charger on the batteries temporarily that will quietly keep your batteries charged until you solve the problem.
Bjsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:31 AM   #4

Also make sure the inverter is turned off until you solve the problem
Old 10-11-2011, 06:58 AM   #5

OK, both 30a fuses were blown. Replaced with new ones and the converter seems to be charging the batteries. I'll check the output of the converter when I get my voltmeter from inside the house (they are still in bed). What should the converter output volt be?

And yes, thanks, I've unplugged the inverter.

The culprit (I think)? The end on my extension cord is possibly the fault. I'll get a new end and install it today.

THanks for the help...
Old 10-11-2011, 07:09 AM   #6

Both fuses blew after replacement. Makes no sense to me. What could cause the fuses to blow?
Old 10-11-2011, 07:13 AM   #7

Converter output should be 13.7v. I would look at the 12v side of the system for a problem as long as you have 120v AC. Usually those fuses blow because of some kind of short.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:17 AM   #8

Did you make sure there is water in the batteries?
Old 10-11-2011, 07:19 AM   #9

Is the inverter a new installation? Recheck it.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:43 AM   #10

The IOTA Battery Charger/Power Supply is protected against reverse polarity on the DC output. If a battery or the unit is hooked up incorrectly, the fuses will blow.
Has the converter worked on AC from shore power or generator previously?
When you are traveling they are being charged from the engine alternator.
You could charge the house batteries using a regular auto battery charger plugged into AC.

Flashing lights on converter, meaning
http://www.iotaengineering.com/pplib/dlsmanl.pdf
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:26 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is information on your B.I.R.D. System for battery charging.
I would check all your battery connections on them and chassis frame plus the screw connections in transfer switch for tight connections, traveling over bumpy roads will loosen things up.
Here is information on Surge Protectors they will save you from expensive appliance replacements.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatesway View Post
Both fuses blew after replacement. Makes no sense to me. What could cause the fuses to blow?
Which fuses are blowing? Be VERY specific. Where are they located?

It occurs to me that you could be talking about fuses in the house (not RV), so maybe you're connecting to a 240v 30amp dryer circuit, and your RV is trying to pull more than 30amps from that circuit.

joe
Old 10-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
With what Joe has just said if you are trying to hook up your coach any where near a washer dryer cuircuit, stay away from it and find a 120V outlet someplace else.
If you use dryer outlet you can wipe out all your appliances in your coach and you say you have no surge protector, bad news.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:32 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Well, it could be a dryer, AC, or some other 240v outlet. Some of those might be wired properly, if they're a 4 prong outlet with neutral and ground, but you need to be VERY careful.

Tags
charging, power