Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2017, 02:48 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
House Batteries don't Charge while Driving

Anyone ever have this happen? House batteries charge when on generator or shore power but not when driving. Is there something I can check?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Alternator.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:09 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waywards View Post
Anyone ever have this happen? House batteries charge when on generator or shore power but not when driving. Is there something I can check?

If this has been going on quite a while and your chassis batteries are still being charged than it could be a solenoid/relay.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:11 PM   #4

Not the alternator....most rigs have equipment [eg, BIRD, solenoid, echo charger, etc.] that isolate and controls battery banks for 12v charging from engine. Doesn't apply to shore power or genset which uses the inverter/charger for house bats. Need to determine if your rig is so equipped and then see if it is working.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:29 PM   #5

Look for your isolation relay and B.I.R.D.. Could have a wire off. You should find it in the battery control center, compartment.

I doubt the solenoid is already failed on a 2017 MH.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:35 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I doubt the solenoid is already failed on a 2017 MH.
I didn't notice it was on a new rig. I agree it's more likely a faulty connection........ or some new switch or something.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:56 PM   #7

I had the same problem. Was the battery isolator. Simple to check. Alternator power goes into the middle post. Coach power goes out one post. I had no power out on other post which was to house batteries. Make sure you get one if bad that is rated for your size of alternator. Mine is a 200 amp. Check this out. HEAVY DUTY Transpo Multi Dual Battery Isolator 200amp commercial truck wrecker
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK46 View Post
I had the same problem. Was the battery isolator. Simple to check. Alternator power goes into the middle post. Coach power goes out one post. I had no power out on other post which was to house batteries. Make sure you get one if bad that is rated for your size of alternator. Mine is a 200 amp. Check this out. HEAVY DUTY Transpo Multi Dual Battery Isolator 200amp commercial truck wrecker
I don't think diode based isolators are used in current MHs. Your 2002 may be the last year they were used.

Now days Bi-directional Isolation Relay with Delay, ( BIRDs ) are used.

It's an electronic voltage sensing device that controls a high amp solenoid wired between the battery banks. Much more effecent and unlike diodes, has no voltage drop thru it.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:39 PM   #9

Quote:
I don't think diode based isolators are used in current MHs. Your 2002 may be the last year they were used.

It's an electronic voltage sensing device that controls a high amp solenoid wired between the battery banks. Much more effecent and unlike diodes, has no voltage drop thru it.
I agree with Twinboat. I'm fairly certain Newmar still uses the BIRD system on their coaches. Attached is the manuals for this system which should help you understand how it works.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Battery Disconnect Manual.pdf (330.3 KB, 280 views)
File Type: pdf BIRD Diesel2 Manual.pdf (91.8 KB, 246 views)
Old 07-19-2017, 04:48 PM   #10

I don't think the majority of units have anything as sophisticated as a BIRD setup. The big buses do. I don't think the cutaway chassis are that sophisticated as Ford puts a charge relay in without the delay and checking functions in a BIRD. Not sure about the F-53.

The old diode isolators run around 0.7 V drop. The newer Schottky diode units are around 0.2 VDC. Not really worth worrying about.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:49 PM   #11

Quote:

It's an electronic voltage sensing device that controls a high amp solenoid wired between the battery banks. Much more efficient and unlike diodes, has no voltage drop thru it.
Nice to know. Not sure it's more efficient though. If that his problem it failed on a 2017. Mine lasted 15 years. Some times older is better. Well that's what my wife says
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:26 PM   #12

The Class C chassis typically has a small house bank. Sometimes only one battery.

With that, the installed high output alternator can handle charging both batteries at the same time. The key actavates a charge relay. They don't need a voltage sensing relay to protect the chassis battery from discharging to the depleted house battery.

The DPs, with 400 or more AH battery banks, in a discharged state, could draw the chassis batteries down below the needed voltage to run the modern engine electronics, if the relay simply stayed closed.

The BIRD or IRD will sense the chassis battery drop in voltage and disconnect the house bank from the system and start the delay timer. During this delay, the chassis battery recovers.

It may need to do this a few times but each time the house bank bulks up a bit more. After a few cycles the voltage rises enough, or your spinning the alternator fast enough, that the chassis battery stays at 13.2 volts, while still connected to the house bank. Now your getting a high output from the alternator.

With a diode isolator, the charging is controlled, thru the alternator voltage regulator, by the chassis battery voltage only. The house batteries are isolated.

If the chassis battery voltage is up, the alternator will cut back it's amperage output. That leads to a long, slow and maybe a partial charge to the house bank.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:49 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Try the battery boost button and see if your voltage starts climbing. Sometimes my relay gets stuck. After pressing the button once, it seems to start working properly for a while. Probably need to change the relay eventually.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:39 PM   #14

House batteries won't start to charge until the coach batteries are full.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries