Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2016, 06:01 AM   #15

I went through that with my 2015 Canyon Star. The furnace will not run all night. Even with fully charged batteries and everything in the mh turned off but the furnace the batteries would be dead in four hrs. You need more batteries and a larger inverter wouldn't hurt. When I complained to Newmar customer service, their response was "it's working as designed". They then said "you bought a coach, not a motorhome. It's to be driven and not for overnight stays without being plugged in"
rodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2016, 07:01 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Scottybdivin,
Best I know NorCold makes only absorption refrigerators. Is your refrigerator two way or electric only?

If it is electric only, receiving power via the inverter would be correct. The refrigerator would run whether or not connected to 120 VAC power.

If the refrigerator is a two way refrigerator running it via the inverter is a mystery. NorCold recommends connecting the DC power source directly to the batteries via a fused connection. If this is the case, a call to Newmar Customer Service should clear up any doubt.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:03 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Hi rodz,
For this thread, how would a larger inverter help?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olgacmon View Post
Hello all,

I am the second-hand owner of a 2015 Bay Star 3402. We're having some issues with our two house batteries and would appreciate any help or insight.
A couple of nights ago our house batteries completely drained and we suspected it was because we had left some basement lights on.
Last night, we were not plugged to any source. We didn't have any lights on, the fridge was on auto, and the inverter switch was on. Only the furnace was on. When we woke up this morning, we found the batteries had drained to about 1/4th of their charge (they were fully charged when we parked that evening).Any idea what might be wrong? Do we need new batteries, or is there something else that could be causing the drainage?
We appreciate any suggestions! Thank you in advance...
Olgacmon
I suspect 1 of these 3 is causing your battery drainage problem:
1.) Your house batteries where not fully charged.
2.) You are expecting to much from only 2 house batteries.
3.) You need new house batteries.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi rodz,
For this thread, how would a larger inverter help?
It won't help with the battery issue but the inverter that comes standard is too small to run much. If someone tells me they're thinking of buying a Bay Star or Canyon Star, I always suggest that they do a battery and inverter upgrade. You'll kick yourself later if you dont.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Olgacmon
I suspect 1 of these 3 is causing your battery drainage problem:
1.) Your house batteries where not fully charged.
2.) You are expecting to much from only 2 house batteries.
3.) You need new house batteries.
Mel
'96 Safari
Number 2. Been there, done that. Most would assume with a new mh and fully charged batteries that it would run a furnace at least through the night.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:14 PM   #21

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My previous gas 36' MH had only 2 6V deep cycle house batteries, and had no trouble running the propane furnace overnight in temps down to about 34deg.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
My previous gas 36' MH had only 2 6V deep cycle house batteries, and had no trouble running the propane furnace overnight in temps down to about 34deg.
I've done the same with 2 batteries in other motorhomes. Newmar uses 2 12 volt batteries. It should last all night. Years ago I had a 1995 Coachman Santara with 2 12volt batteries and I never had that problem. There's a long list of Bay Star and Canyon Star owners with the same problem.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:03 PM   #23

What is the make of your 2 house batteries? Are they 2- 6 V in series or 2 12 V in parallel? I had 8 Discover AGM house batteries fail on my 2014 MADP all electric coach after only 22 months in service! I replaced them with Lifeline AGM's & they are GREAT! 2 house batteries are very 'Bare bones minimum' when boondocking. Do you have room for 4 house batteries or 2 taller batteries -this would allow you to move up to 330 AH/each batteries?

If you have Discover brand, have them load checked to see if you have some bad cells in them. If you have a Norcold or Dometic gas absorption refrigerators it should switch over to propane (gas) automatically (assuming you have it set on Auto mode) when disconnected from shore power. Newmar only runs fridges through the inverter on 120 V when you have an all electric coach (larger inverter & residential refrigerator) & 8 house batteries.
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:12 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Scottybdivin,
Best I know NorCold makes only absorption refrigerators. Is your refrigerator two way or electric only?
I don't know if the fridge itself had dual fuel capability or not. They were replacing our windshield so we had it replaced with a Samsung, while the windshield was out. It makes sense that they would wire it through the inverter on an all electric model.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries