Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2018, 10:43 AM   #1

House battery disconnect

I was parking the coach at storage yesterday and as usual I turn off the the house and chassis batteries for storage as we don't have any electrical there. The house battery switch stays lit when I try to turn it off. Normally my Silverleaf screen above the driver seat goes black when I shut down the house batteries but not this time.
I called Newmar Service and there initial thought was it was the solenoid. I found a service manual for it and it told how to test. I got 0 volts across the S and I terminals and according to the manual they said that it should have +voltage there. It says with 0 volts to replace the panel. Does anyone know, do they mean the switch?
I called Newmar a second time and talked to a different tech and he told me a couple of surprising things. (1) That the Silverleaf should stay on with the house batteries disconnected as mine always went black before. (2) He also said that all of the big coaches should always be plugged in as the parasitic draw on the batteries even with the house batteries disconnected will kill the batteries in a couple of days. All I can say there is I haven't had a problem yet when I have stored it for a few weeks previously when I have disconnected the battery banks.I always make sure that I turn off the inverter also.
What are others doing for storage? BTW I have a 2017 MA 4519 if that is a question to anyone.
oregonhiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2018, 03:07 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Anyone have a answer for Rick?
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:52 AM   #3

It's not only the big coaches that have a draw when the batteries are disconnected with the factory switches. I installed disconnect switches on both the chassis and house batteries that I use when put into storage. The only downside is all the memory is lost from the electronics , but the batteries will not be dead 6 months later. Your other option is to remove the battery cables. Can't help you with the panel.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonhiker View Post
What are others doing for storage? BTW I have a 2017 MA 4519 if that is a question to anyone.
SilverLeaf coaches continue to power the SilverLeaf system with coach battery off. Your SilverLeaf panel should remain illuminated with battery power off. Factory is right, SilverLeaf coaches should be powered while in storage, either from shore power or solar panels.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:27 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for that information Turbopilot.
Will add to SilverLeaf info.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 02:20 PM   #6

Foretravel Owners Club
When hit the disconnect switch for the house batteries, it definitely shuts down the silverleaf system on my 2017 LADP 4533
Old 11-23-2018, 02:38 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Mine also
freen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 03:51 PM   #8

I just got off the phone with Silverleaf and they said that it was whatever Newmar's position is on whether the overhead monitor goes out or stays on. So now I guess I have two problems in that the house batteries won't disconnect and also that the monitor doesn't stay on when the batteries are off. Probably another call into Newmar on Monday to get clarification.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:23 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
During our original orientation to our new all-electric Ventana, we were strongly advised to leave it plugged in whenever possible. This was news to me as I always used the disconnect switch on previous coaches. I think a significant issue is losing all the settings and having to set everything up again when you put it back into service. I have followed their directions in this regard and all seems to be working fine.
Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 05:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonhiker View Post
I just got off the phone with Silverleaf and they said that it was whatever Newmar's position is on whether the overhead monitor goes out or stays on. So now I guess I have two problems in that the house batteries won't disconnect and also that the monitor doesn't stay on when the batteries are off. Probably another call into Newmar on Monday to get clarification.
The confusion may be around whether the SilverLeaf coach is equipped with MyRozie or not. MyRozie equipped coaches have most of the SilverLeaf system powered up irrespective of the position of the battery switch.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 07:13 PM   #11

Since I am not sure what MyRozie is I would think I don't have that system in my coach. I wasn't aware that the settings had changed when I disconnected the batteries with the switch. At least it hasn't seemed that they have.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:52 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My panel always goes dark when I switch off the batt disconnect. I have spoken with both Newmar and Silverleaf about longterm storage, since I store in a heated garage for the winter (in New Hampshire).

I was concerned about batteries 'boiling' or the potential for many other issues with being completely plugged in for months at at time while in storage. I asked both of them if I could just use a small 'hockey puck' style low amp charger to just keep the batteries topped off and they both thought that should be fine.

That's what I have done every year for the last couple of coaches and it seems to work well. I shut the inverter, the house and engine battery banks off and just connect a little 2A 'hockey puck style' charger at the opposing far ends (+/-), that takes care of the ghost draw and keeps them tip top until spring when I turn it all back on again.
NH Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:53 PM   #13

So after a couple of calls to Newmar service and testing the solenoid and fuses I found a butt connector and loose wire that had come out of it. I stuffed it back in and the switch works as it should now. I just ran home and picked up a new butt connector and crimping pliers and now back to the coach to fix this problem for good. Doing the happy dance that it didn't cost for any parts just a few trips to the coach.

Tags
battery, battery disconnect