Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2017, 06:05 PM   #1
Newmarian

Unhappy How clean is your Newmar?

Okay, I'm ending a 34 day caravan and my rig is in dire need of a bath. I washed it once along the way but still, can't say it's factory pickup clean! I just left a campground in Deadwood, SD and there was another Newmar that arrived after me. A DSDP so I went and said hello. Holy spotless batman! I asked if it was new, she said yes, got it last January? January???? I just got mine two months ago. There wasn't a spot or bug on it! Nothing! I left the campground in shame.

How clean do you keep your Newmar? Am I going to be asked to remove the Newmar signage? I guess I better start cleaning more often and more thoroughly. I truly do feel I need to keep up with cleaning the exterior better. And no reason not to, other than campgrounds frown upon it, I have all the cleaning gear including electric power washer with me. I mean their wheels and everything were shiny as can be!!!

So do you keep yours factory new too? Tell me I'm not the only one that is a disgrace to the shiny Newmar representation!

NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2017, 06:08 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Neal,

You are kidding right? Of course it is to be kept clean at all times! I kinda of thought of you as Mr. Newmar, hmmm.

Old 09-03-2017, 06:09 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I clean the bugs off the front at every fill up and I wash it all down with wash wax all at every campground. I keep mine looking factory new. That's just me. The DW does the same with the inside. It's small enough to keep clean. C'mon Neal, don't embarrass the rest of us!
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:10 PM   #4
Newmarian

I'm heading for the hose now...brb

Old 09-03-2017, 06:14 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Some times if I pull in after a rain and bad roads and it's really dirty, I'll inquire at checkin. They always have some locals who'll come wash the coach for you. I usually pay $100
Old 09-03-2017, 06:20 PM   #6
Newmarian

Rest assured my coach will be blindingly reflective at the Newmar rally!

Old 09-03-2017, 06:55 PM   #7

The simple fix is to back-up 50 feet, close one eye and squint with the other. You'll see that beautiful rig you brought home 2 months ago.

Gary, Maxwell and the Beanie Weenie.
2002 Newmar Kountry Star. Cummins ISB 24 valve
2017 Mazda Miata MX-5 toad on a double axle car hauling trailer
tizzyfit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:11 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Neal:

Don't let the Mr. Clean Jeans crowd hassle you! . We all drive down the same dirty roads and hit the same ugly bugs. While I do like to keep my rig clean, I don't obsess about it.

The suggestion of finding a local guy to wash it has worked well for me on many occasions. We own a lot in a premier RV resort in Montana and have a local guy come in the day we arrive to do a wash job. He does great work, is very careful and is reasonable in his fee. He even brings with him a tank truck with de-ionized water for the wash and rinse.

Another option...which I have used on occasion...is a truck wash. Be sure they do a hand wash rather than rotary brushes, however.

And, treating the front of your MH with Rejex will make the bugs come off a whole lot easier when you need to wash it yourself.

Remember, a motorhome is simply a tool that allows you to enjoy your travels in some level of comfort; it is not a fashion statement (at least for most of us). Keeping your rig clean is nice, but it doesn't need to be the entire focus of your RV experience.

TJ
Tranquil Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:24 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
How clean do you keep your Newmar? Am I going to be asked to remove the Newmar signage?
When I read this I envisioned the intro to the old TV show "Branded"
Old 09-03-2017, 07:28 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
You most likely have had more fun than they have. Don't worry about it.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:55 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I make a point to clean the bugs off the front cap ASAP. The rest can happen when it happens. Bugs can damage the Diamond Shield and I like a clean windshield when driving. When I'm filling at a truck stop (Pilot or Flying J) I will use the windshield scrubber on both the windshield and Diamond Shield IF THE SCRUBBER IS FAIRLY NEW. Yes it will leave some streaks but that comes off easily when it is finally washed.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:06 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danleininger View Post
I make a point to clean the bugs off the front cap ASAP. The rest can happen when it happens. Bugs can damage the Diamond Shield and I like a clean windshield when driving. When I'm filling at a truck stop (Pilot or Flying J) I will use the windshield scrubber on both the windshield and Diamond Shield IF THE SCRUBBER IS FAIRLY NEW. Yes it will leave some streaks but that comes off easily when it is finally washed.
Off topic Dan, but don't you find the Pilots or Js the most expensive fuel in town, even after the good Sam discount? I've asked why all the truckers fuel there and they say it's because they get a fleet discount at the end of the month.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:11 PM   #13
Newmarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
Off topic Dan, but don't you find the Pilots or Js the most expensive fuel in town, even after the good Sam discount? I've asked why all the truckers fuel there and they say it's because they get a fleet discount at the end of the month.
Yes and No - it depends where the station is. If it's on the interstate they may have to add a tax causing their prices to be higher. I got gas today at a Flying J NOT on an interstate (strange) and it was the cheapest I've seen in my last month of travel at 2.45/gal after good sam discount.

A few days ago I paid over 10 cents more per gallon than the station across the street because I chose Flying J for the convenience, diesel turnover, DEF available, and just the ease of access.

Back on topic I too try to deal with bugs at the truck stops and hope they put something special in their cleaner, which appears to be much higher concentrated window cleaner, to help get them off. I too will carefully scrub the diamond shield area too to get some of the bugs off there.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:16 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Yes and No - it depends where the station is. If it's on the interstate they may have to add a tax causing their prices to be higher. I got gas today at a Flying J NOT on an interstate (strange) and it was the cheapest I've seen in my last month of travel at 2.45/gal after good sam discount.

A few days ago I paid over 10 cents more per gallon than the station across the street because I chose Flying J for the convenience, diesel turnover, DEF available, and just the ease of access.

Back on topic I too try to deal with bugs at the truck stops and hope they put something special in their cleaner, which appears to be much higher concentrated window cleaner, to help get them off. I too will carefully scrub the diamond shield area too to get some of the bugs off there.
Newmar really frowns on the windshield cleaners especially the concentrated ones at the truck stops on their brochures. It's supposed to be hard on that "diamond shield" on the front cap. If you keep using it, let us know if it spoils the front end or not. I've worked hard to stay away from it.

Tags
newmar