Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2015, 12:39 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynryan15 View Post
Another question you folks that customized your paint did you get to sit with a designer and swap out colors on a computer, or did you do it all on your own?
This is the rendering they sent me for approval. I picked the colors from a drawer full of samples that Michelle had.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 King Aire Exterior.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	86442  
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2015, 12:47 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheaded View Post
This is the rendering they sent me for approval. I picked the colors from a drawer full of samples that Michelle had.
One more thing....after seeing it with the stainless package I decided I didn't like the way it looked. The rendering is a nice thing to work from!
Old 02-19-2015, 03:56 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I saw a King Aire just like yours last summer while on vacation in Michigan............., even the inside Mods looked the same
.................... STUNNING!
Old 02-19-2015, 05:25 AM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWag View Post
This is not something the Newmar designers are very well set up to do so I did on my own.

I took one of their 2D templates and set it up so that I could change fill colors and ran about 25 different combinations. Once we got to the combination we liked best I took one of their photos on the Dutch Star gallery and customized that graphic, that was a time consuming process but was a good representation of what the coach would look like.

I've attached a sample of a modification to the Bon Bon graphic.
And to think, if Chip Foose [Overhauling TV show] was available, he could have sketched it out in full color in a matter of minutes!!!

I doubt the end result would have been any better however. It looks wonderful.
Greg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:03 AM   #47

Quote:
That's sharp! You and swag both hit homeruns! I am glad they will allow such broad changes. If I just lighten up the grays on the Mystic scheme to be more chrome or metallic people are going to think it is a New England Patriots coach, next thing you know I have under inflated tires
Flynryan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:20 AM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynryan15 View Post
That's sharp! You and swag both hit homeruns! I am glad they will allow such broad changes. If I just lighten up the grays on the Mystic scheme to be more chrome or metallic people are going to think it is a New England Patriots coach, next thing you know I have under inflated tires
I like bullheaded's graphic as well, looks great. One thing to keep in mind when you are selecting colors is that the dark colors on the bottom half of the coach are going to be a lot more work to keep clean. My wife wanted our coach to be all black ... absolutely no graphic. Newmar did not want to do it and I had to negotiate her away from that position! Personally, I would have done something with a light color on the bottom like bullheaded selected because I hate having a dirty coach and I'm the one who has to clean it! I think the colors my wife picked look great but it will require a lot more work to maintain.

The ability to order custom graphics was one of the factors that led me to my decision to buy Newmar again. I thought the competitors had some decent looking color schemes but if I was spending this much money I would much rather have something unique and finished to our preferences.
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:23 AM   #49

Quote:
I like bullheaded's graphic as well, looks great. One thing to keep in mind when you are selecting colors is that the dark colors on the bottom half of the coach are going to be a lot more work to keep clean. My wife wanted our coach to be all black ... absolutely no graphic. Newmar did not want to do it and I had to negotiate her away from that position! Personally, I would have done something with a light color on the bottom like bullheaded selected because I hate having a dirty coach and I'm the one who has to clean it! I think the colors my wife picked look great but it will require a lot more work to maintain.

The ability to order custom graphics was one of the factors that led me to my decision to buy Newmar again. I thought the competitors had some decent looking color schemes but if I was spending this much money I would much rather have something unique and finished to our preferences.
I agree with wanting something custom for the money. As far as stock paint schemes go Entegra's Cornerstone in Topez looks best to for my taste.

I could see me and the soon to be wife having your debate. Her wanting all black, me pleading my case. Her wanting all black, me handing her a bucket, sponge, and soap me sleeping under the Girade Awnings
Flynryan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:25 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I saw a King Aire just like yours last summer while on vacation in Michigan............., even the inside Mods looked the same
.................... STUNNING!
Thanks Brother!
Old 02-19-2015, 09:17 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
This thread has been moved to NEWMAR CORP sticky for future reference.
Thanks for everyone's input.
Carry on with the discussion.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:51 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
Yes they will, the graphics may look like what's on the 15 Mountain Aire.
Why is that John? Do they move them down the models? Although, I'm not complaining!

Quote:
Frank, you realize that you may run the risk of not getting the 4381 floor plan? I have no idea whether or not they will keep it another year but, they have sold only a handful to date, I believe the number is 7 (3 are titled, 2 on lots and 2 on order). I could be totally wrong but something you may want to ask Newmar. Someone had mentioned that they thought Newmar kept the new floor plans for at least two years to recover their non-recurring engineering cost but I don't know.

Haha! That was me saying that, and Ken Williams from Newmar corp told that to us at the Tampa Show, I was worried about that.. but if it does happen, I am sure they will have something else we will fall in love with! I also told Michelle we wanted that floor plan, and she did not think they were canceling that floor plan, but she wasn't positive.

Once we go there on April 14th, then we'll start playing with the crayons!
Old 02-21-2015, 11:24 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRasco View Post
Why is that John? Do they move them down the models? Although, I'm not complaining!

Yes, the factory was not amused when I called them "hand me down stripes". The stripes on our 2013 DS were on the 2012 MA.

The only model the gets new is King Aire.

This could change any year, but a good reference.

Haha! That was me saying that, and Ken Williams from Newmar corp told that to us at the Tampa Show, I was worried about that.. but if it does happen, I am sure they will have something else we will fall in love with! I also told Michelle we wanted that floor plan, and she did not think they were canceling that floor plan, but she wasn't positive.

Once we go there on April 14th, then we'll start playing with the crayons!
Can't wait to read your story.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:36 PM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCAT View Post
We made some fairly extensive modifications to our LAPD exterior graphics using SWag's process. It works, but for me it did take quite a bit of time as we altered colors and graphics by using "skin" color to reduce the graphic complexity and selectively changing discreet color areas. Significant amount of trial and error.

We ordered our coach almost 4 weeks ago and submitted the modified graphic, noting all the changes in great detail, so their design department can replicate what we submitted. Waiting to receive their drawing to approve.

The drawing to the right is what we submitted. The colors we selected are used in the drawing but only representative. What we receive back from Newmar will be more accurate.

Many thanks to SWag for his help here.
I really like the reduction in graphic noise that you and SWag did to your coach. It looks great!
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:45 PM   #55

Graphic Noise
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:48 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomakat View Post
I really like the reduction in graphic noise that you and SWag did to your coach. It looks great!

The exterior graphics are all just a matter of personal preference. We looked at countless coaches, from all manufactures, some with custom paint.

I spent countless hours trying various combinations, substituting colors with the "skin" color in some cases, but only if the graphic was discreet, meaning it didn't flow all over the coach. The objective was to reduce the amount of graphic design and we went with (3) colors instead of the standard (4).

We'll have to wait and see the rendering that comes back from Newmar with better color renditions before we can be more comfortable. It is a major opportunity to make a huge mistake or come away with something that is more personally satisfying.

Others here have been quite successful.
Former Coach - Newmar London Aire
JCAT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar