Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2017, 08:33 PM   #15
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson2228 View Post
Steering stabilizer, rear track bar, and a heavier rear auxiliary sway bar did it for me. It's like another coach now. Worth every penny.
All my gas coach's I installed a rear torque bar first before any thing else and had coach weight and load as even as possible and adjusted the correct tire pressures.
If your handy you can DIY and save some money.
The rear bar took care of the problem on both the Fords and the Workhorse.
All the links below in my signature have info for your Newmar.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2017, 08:55 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
Windy days on interstates push us all around. Don't let anyone fool you. I've had days where I just pull into a Walmart because I've had enough. Don't set deadlines. My suggestion would be pay attention the weather and don't go unless you have to in unfavorable conditions. Relax and enjoy yourself. That probably doesn't answer your question but you asked for suggestions.
It is funny for me to see this post because I just installed today a Blue Ox Tiger Trac bar and a Roadmaster steering stabilizer. I took it for a test drive right after and it drove like a car. I will see more later when driving in more wind, today was only 10 - 15 mph wind. But it did seem to track straighter in the lane without much effort. I did install both of them myself. Each piece took about 2 hours to put in. I ordered them from etrailer.com and they cost about 1000.00 total.

inlineskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:48 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Our service department suggested these mods:

We did all three mods and both my husband and myself notice a huge improvement to the handling and pickup.

I'm sure people here will debate brands of products but anyone who has made suspension mods won't debate the value they add in both comfort and confidence on the road.
RVnewbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:07 AM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVnewbie1 View Post
Our service department suggested these mods:

We did all three mods and both my husband and myself notice a huge improvement to the handling and pickup.

I'm sure people here will debate brands of products but anyone who has made suspension mods won't debate the value they add in both comfort and confidence on the road.
Imagine if ,on the showroom floor, a MH had a sticker that said" This vehicle may not handle well under normal highway situations unless the following modifications are made!. Chill out, drive slower and exit the highway at your first opportunity".

At least the dealer gave you a heads up. Fact is you can get improved handling with mods suggested in the Ford Chassis forum for a lot less money.
Ford has added some improvement over the years, maybe the Ford chassis will evolve some more.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:06 AM   #19

I did ( actually had it done ) the CHF, adjusted tires to PSI based on GAWR and Goodyear tire chart, try to stay close to 65 on interstates, and the ride is good. Barely notice trucks speeding by, but still have some issues with the wind. The latter to be expected.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:26 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillboy View Post
Imagine if ,on the showroom floor, a MH had a sticker that said" This vehicle may not handle well under normal highway situations unless the following modifications are made!. Chill out, drive slower and exit the highway at your first opportunity".

.........maybe the Ford chassis will evolve some more.

How about "This vehicle will not handle well under normal highway situations because Ford refuses to build it properly."?

Or how about a lot of potential buyers do their homework, and refuse to buy an F53 chassis unless Ford builds them correctly? How fast do you think Ford would react if their chassis sales dropped by 20%?
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:25 PM   #21

i did all of the above mentioned mods to my Georgetown on the 24K F53 chassis....

but then i added sumo springs...front and rear.....

the front are jounce replacement..

in the rear i added the ones that are outboard of the frame and sit on top of the springs...

then i replaced the stock blisteins with KONI FSD shocks...

all that, with the roadmaster front and rear, made it incredibly drivable. still not a pusher, but wind, on and off ramps, un even roads, she did great everywhere.

can't recommend sumos and koni FSD's enough.....
willipaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:26 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillboy View Post

At least the dealer gave you a heads up. Fact is you can get improved handling with mods suggested in the Ford Chassis forum for a lot less money.
Ford has added some improvement over the years, maybe the Ford chassis will evolve some more.
Imagine if at the Mercedes dealer there were signs or window stickers that said "Even though you're paying top dollar for our vehicles, our reliability records are worse than buying a Hyundai for tens of thousands less and it will still get you from point A to point B"

Why must people poop on another person's parade?
RVnewbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:54 AM   #23

I have a 2011 Bay Star 2901. I, too, have the same experiences in wind. The improvements made were front and rear sway bars, trac bar and steering stabilizer. Also included Banks intake and headers. It made a vast difference but still not good (when compared to a previously owned Alpine Coach). Many have found that tire pressures are a vital link to tolerable handling. Most tire shops will over inflate pressures unless told otherwise. Weigh your coach and use recommended pressure; not maximums limits.

At this time I would like to speak about my pet peeve about motor home manufacturers --- weight. Most Class A gas coaches are limited to Ford chassis. Motor home manufacturers attempt to meet price points using minimum capacity chassis. My particular coach is not fully loaded with unnecessary 'stuff'; but when full of water and fuel and empty holdings, I am at my weight limit. I am too tall because we all demand vast storage space. We can't expect good handling with these two conditions. Years ago, I had a early Sea Breeze on a Chev chassis. Not a lot (but adequate) storage and 10+ foot height and it handled much better than my current BayStar with all the modifications that I have added.

Until a custom chassis is developed (like the old GMC), I guess we will just have to live with what is available and take our time and drive our bread boxes to our next favorite camping spot.
lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:05 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlineskater View Post
It is funny for me to see this post because I just installed today a Blue Ox Tiger Trac bar and a Roadmaster steering stabilizer. I took it for a test drive right after and it drove like a car. I will see more later when driving in more wind, today was only 10 - 15 mph wind. But it did seem to track straighter in the lane without much effort. I did install both of them myself. Each piece took about 2 hours to put in. I ordered them from etrailer.com and they cost about 1000.00 total.
I have put on 9000 miles since I installed the equipment and am glad I did. we went to Alaska and back. Those roads really tested my chassi.

inlineskater is offline   Reply With Quote